Zoombie's dream is one step closer to reality

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Clicky.
Article wrote:Researchers have found that the body is in a constant fight to remain either female or male and the suppression of just one gene could cause it to "flip" from one to the other.

The remarkable findings refute the generally held view that sex is determined at birth and is irreversible in later life.
Last edited by MidKnight on 13 Dec 2009, 18:37, edited 3 times in total.
smoth

Re: Zoombie's dream is one step closer to reality

Post by smoth »

after your body is grown and developed it is over.

Also, this sort of thing will end up putting the world in teh sort of mess china is in with no men wanting daughters.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

smoth wrote:Also, this sort of thing will end up putting the world in teh sort of mess china is in with no men wanting daughters.
Please explain.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Your parts are not going to suddenly implode and turn to girl parts. They said that the cells began to make a change not that there was a complete ranma 1/2 style transformation. Sure gender swapping is possible, there is a frog that does it. However we are not a frog.

I suspect such a dramatic change would not be possible once peuberty ends as the body kinda settles into a specific makeup. Further more, I am not sure such a change would really be safe as the process of becoming a male/female involves a lot of chemical and physical modifications.

we are pretty much build to become something, not to become something and be altered later. Such a change may cause unbelievable strain and or consequences on our physiology. With such a limited understanding of the brain I would hesitate to call this even note worthy. I was more impressed with the glowing monkeys that could breed more glowing monkeys.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

I was actually refering to the other part of your post, hence why I only quoted that part. :wink:
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

We would have testicles capable of concieving children because they have turned into ovaries.

To conceive would involve the injection of sperm, after which there would be nowhere for the foetus to grow, it would degrade and die at a very early stage, meanwhile the body would undergo major hormonal imbalances. We would still have the same package downstairs,

Although the growth of breasts is a given, as this happens to men who take the right hormone mixture given time already. Muscle strength would degrade slightly over time and reach a new lower natural equilibrium, and we would have various other changes such as how we taste things, what we want to eat, subtle changes to how we think.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

if you could stop halfway, could you fuck yourself? Just askin of curse
Regret

Post by Regret »

PicassoCT wrote:if you could stop halfway, could you fuck yourself? Just askin of curse
If you were going across a road and stopped in middle of it, would you be able to walk both sides of the road at once? Assuming you don't get ran over by a car.
Panda

Post by Panda »

This finding is not very impressive to me either. I'm more impressed with bioluminescence and scientists being able to create different species of glow-in-the-dark plants, animals, and glow-in-the-dark things used to detect infections.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

*Impresses panda with his glow in the dark piece of paper*
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

smoth wrote:after your body is grown and developed it is over.

Also, this sort of thing will end up putting the world in teh sort of mess china is in with no men wanting daughters.
You're forgetting about pedophiles. Ah pedophiles, is there any demographic you can't ruin?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

What the heck? I STILL can't edit my posts? What's going on? This is completely ruining my routine. I post something, then add to it over the course of the next hour until it's just offensive enough to be damaging to minors without actually violating any rules.
PicassoCT wrote:if you could stop halfway, could you fuck yourself? Just askin of curse
Seems logistically impossible tbh.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Das Bruce wrote:
smoth wrote:Also, this sort of thing will end up putting the world in teh sort of mess china is in with no men wanting daughters.
Please explain.
Das Bruce wrote:I was actually refering to the other part of your post, hence why I only quoted that part. :wink:
They can only have X amount of children and none of them want daughters so they have a lot of sons with no women available. It is really china and india but I think indian guys can be very handsome so i don't mind them so much.

I'd kill to look like this dude.

then again... I would kill to look like this guy also
Image(Oded Fehr)
Panda

Post by Panda »

AF wrote:*Impresses panda with his glow in the dark piece of paper*
:o :lol:
smoth

Post by smoth »

Caydr wrote:You're forgetting about pedophiles. Ah pedophiles, is there any demographic you can't ruin?
I am not, Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan covers that.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Preposterous, the amount of people wanting to undergo gender transition is a tiny fraction of society, and plenty of them are M-to-F. And if you can easily change gender in later life, this could actually help solve chinas problem (at least in theory, in practice: yeah, no).

Whats preposterous is that they deal with this shortage of women by kidnapping, killing and raping them etc- not liberating them so that people will want female children, or letting market forces come into effect that should lead to women having their pick of any men, or even polyandry.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I mean that most parents will forcibly transform their daughters into men. Such things will bring up huge moral issues but outside of the uptight USA what that will me mean is many countries will see a lack of females as soon as this sort of gene treatment becomes cheap. and it will.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I can't see why, men are in no way superior to women.
smoth

Post by smoth »

You of all people should see why male dominated societies want male heir.
Panda

Post by Panda »

neddiedrow wrote:I can't see why, men are in no way superior to women.
Men usually tend to make more money than women and are supposed to carry on the family name etc. while women are typically are thought of as the caretakers of children. Therefore, a lot of people would prefer to have a boy as opposed to a girl who they see as a more expensive and unable to bring in as much of an income.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”