Maybe I'm NOT the Problem - Page 3

Maybe I'm NOT the Problem

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Neddie
Community Lead

Re: Maybe I'm NOT the Problem

Post by Neddie »

PicassoCT wrote:
neddiedrow wrote:Well, in the end your actions are limited. There is very little in your control... but what is in your control is significant in the reproduction of misery. You have to take responsibility for what you can control, and accept what you can not.
You can expand your field of controll, by researching for errors, errorexploiters and giving good advice to those who want & are able to fix, without producing twice the behaviourbugs humans show today. Hard work, definatly less comfortable than apathy.
Agreed, though the extent to which your efforts will prove lasting in effect is questionable, it is best not to think of it, and instead merely press on.
Panda

Post by Panda »

neddiedrow wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:
neddiedrow wrote:Well, in the end your actions are limited. There is very little in your control... but what is in your control is significant in the reproduction of misery. You have to take responsibility for what you can control, and accept what you can not.
You can expand your field of controll, by researching for errors, errorexploiters and giving good advice to those who want & are able to fix, without producing twice the behaviourbugs humans show today. Hard work, definatly less comfortable than apathy.
Agreed, though the extent to which your efforts will prove lasting in effect is questionable, it is best not to think of it, and instead merely press on.
You can expand your field of control by learning how to get better at describing things, picking out general thought and action patterns, and figuring out how to best respond to them. There are many common patterns of perception that people display which lead them to often believe certain things, even though what they believe may not be true because they may not have taken into account certain behaviors due to a lack of recognition.
Gota

Post by Gota »

"You can expand your field of control by learning how to get better at describing things, picking out general thought and action patterns, and figuring out how to best respond to them. There are many common patterns of perception that people display which lead them to often believe certain things, even though what they believe may not be true because they may not have taken into account certain behaviors due to a lack of recognition."

Give an example/s
Panda

Post by Panda »

Gota wrote:"You can expand your field of control by learning how to get better at describing things, picking out general thought and action patterns, and figuring out how to best respond to them. There are many common patterns of perception that people display which lead them to often believe certain things, even though what they believe may not be true because they may not have taken into account certain behaviors due to a lack of recognition."

Give an example/s
Go ask Neddie stuff like that. He has made some good points, such as one person can only do so much.
Gota

Post by Gota »

I don't understand why everything has to be so melodramatic.
This is not a Greek tragedy.
All these morbid descriptions of life...some pretty bitter people here or what?Happiness is in your mind.
Also:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYZUhSe ... re=related

Wasn't 1984 just a projections of soviet/nazi regimes into the future?

Panda i only asked for an example cause i don't understand what you mean which is not unusual.
pintle

Post by pintle »

Gota wrote:I don't understand why everything has to be so melodramatic.
All these morbid descriptions of life...some pretty bitter people here or what?Happiness is in your mind.

Panda i only asked for an example cause i don't understand what you mean which is not unusual.
1984 was a projection of British Government...

Best way to expand you sphere of influence is to directly confront the perceived social injustices that you encounter in your daily life. Far too much intelecutalisation in this thread, not enough inspiration to action.

edit: maybe not so much expand your sphere of influence, as act positively within it...
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

On sphere of influence, IIRC this is also described in "7 habits of highly effective people" (stephen covey), which is widely regarded as a pretty good book on improving your life etc..
Maybe it has been mentioned here already though...
Tired

Post by Tired »

How many of you ate today?
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Tired wrote:How many of you ate today?
Do leftovers count?
Panda

Post by Panda »

Tired wrote:How many of you ate today?
Ah, yes, eating is a good idea.
Gota

Post by Gota »

pintle wrote:
Gota wrote:I don't understand why everything has to be so melodramatic.

1984 was a projection of British Government...

Best way to expand you sphere of influence is to directly confront the perceived social injustices that you encounter in your daily life. Far too much intelecutalisation in this thread, not enough inspiration to action.

edit: maybe not so much expand your sphere of influence, as act positively within it...
How do you define being a good/better person?
In the biblical sense?spending your life helping others?
Being successful economically?having a high social rating?
Being special?doing things nobody has ever done or doing something in a new way?
Being average and walking the "golden middle road"?
Why would you want to improve someone elses situation if it in no way improves yours?

If your a good fairy than What about the people who make it by only doing things that benefit them directly or indirectly to climb the social/economical ladder?
Why do you think we should be positive in our "spheres"?
is our goal as individuals to make society better?
If you think it is please tell me why you think that.
Or do you think that if you improve things in your sphere others will do the same?
Or do you just enjoy stirring shit up?

The jesus routine,for example,(where we try to be as good to others as possible,placing ourselves in second place)can't really work...people wont even be able to pass a door cause they will be trying to persuade the other he should pass first.
Last edited by Gota on 13 Nov 2009, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Yan, you might have some sort of identity crisis. Why not go on a self discovery journey? :| It works for the Native Americans. That kind of thing usually involves self-reflection.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Panda wrote:Yan, you might have some sort of identity crisis. Why not go on a self discovery journey? :| It works for the Native Americans. That kind of thing usually involves self-reflection.

I was asking him this since i am not sure what his motivations are and what they are based on.
I think it's pretty clear.
I also think you have some issues with understanding what others mean and explaining yourself.
No wonder your reading self help books.
(like the female version of smoth only makes even less sense,who is rubbing of on who?)
Panda

Post by Panda »

Gota wrote:
Panda wrote:Yan, you might have some sort of identity crisis. Why not go on a self discovery journey? :| It works for the Native Americans. That kind of thing usually involves self-reflection.

I was asking him this since i am not sure what his motivations are and what they are based on.
I think it's pretty clear.
I also think you have some issues with understanding what others mean and explaining yourself.
No wonder your reading self help books.
(like the female version of smoth only makes even less sense,who is rubbing of on who?)
Baww. Whine louder. I don't think that enough people heard you trying to divert attention from yourself in order to make yourself feel better.
Gota

Post by Gota »

I think its pretty clear I like being the center of attention.
Did I get you with the self help books?feels like you were genuinely insulted.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Seems to me as though you are having your identity crisis as usual and, therefore, are jumping to all kinds of off conclusions, but since you're so interested in the topic of self-help books, how many do you have on your shelf? I bet you were going to lie to that question and say none because none of them have worked for you and you're so frustrated that you can't see straight.
pintle

Post by pintle »

I find that in work, family, and social life, trying to project mutual respect and empathy generally lead to more fun.

Irrespective of your specific perspective or agenda, you will most likely have an easier time doing whatever you are trying to do if you feel there is mutual trust and respect between you and the people around you, to whatever degree this manifests.

It is self serving to promote a society based on co-operation.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Yes but if your the one doing the promoting it means you get screwed a lot of the time since many will not adopt such a mindset,of actively trying to pioneer considerate and welcoming behavior towards others(meaning constantly trying to be better).
So what is your motivation in sacrificing yourself?
You can compare it with being moderately nice,following what is accepted by the majority of the people surrounding you.
Also you wrote to fight injustice and it felt like you meant to actively fight injustice that was done to others as well,why do that?
Basically your saying we should rely on others doing good to/for us just cause we did good to/for them.
We all know in many cases this wishful thinking meats the grimmer reality.
Also there are always misunderstanding between people even if they are trying to be nice to each other since someone values something more than the other.
You can do good and be kind to your friend but he wont notice or value it and wont repay you for it.
Again,why sacrifice yourself?

Also people follow whims and different moods.
Nobody,when addressing someone,actually starts evaluating all the good and bad the opposite person has done to him.

Trying to strive to be good seems reasonable if you believe in the afterlife or you have a guilty conscience or if you think you'll get noticed by others and you want to be noticed for fame glory whatever or you think you will indireclty benefit from it by getting promoted/get money etc etc.
If none of it is true than who the hell are you preforming for?
What i am asking is,"whats your reason"?

I want to make sure though,that we are not talking about average nice we are talking about the go fight for others/injustice in the world nice..

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”