Torchlight - Page 3

Torchlight

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: Torchlight

Post by KDR_11k »

I think the maps you can buy are decently challenging even on Normal. What's important there is watching what enemies you're facing, what you can engage, when to run away, etc. Of course I'm playing a Destroyer focused mostly on melee (though I have a gun in my holster just in case), not an alchemist. One part is of course the strategy, what equipment you go for (not everything is strictly better or worse, different effects can be preferable for different situations, e.g. high knockback is useful for a ranged fighter but not when you go melee), what skills you level, what spells you learn (e.g. my dog knows necromancy and healing).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Back to the price. I don't think 20 bucks. I could see 10 or 15 though.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Seriously? It could even warrant a retail release, 20$ is a fair price considering how much you get for it.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i had a peek...

tbh, for diablo type games; i think i've been spoiled by playing a lot of champions of norrath for original xbox... it was very much a diablo clone, but the clincher for me which made it fun to play was that the controls were very much like legend of zelda or the xmen action rpgs (the latter... fun, far too easy) rather than the standard diablo point and click.

what would make me shy away from this is what zwzsg described... by taking out the element of being able to move and dodge and play the game with skill, it just sort of becomes a boring grind; might as well just sit down and read a book.

still, might be worth a look; i know my friend plans to purchase it.

im still waiting for a FPS game based around the questing idea of diablo but relies on twitch skill like a proper action game, and doesn't suck like hellgate london.

morrowind and oblivion are very close; i guess what i want is counterstrike / halo with a diablo style quest / item system. somebody maek for me ^^
knorke

Post by knorke »

zwzsg wrote:
knorke wrote:somebody should make a car combat rpg game.
like interstate '76 but more open world.
There was Auto Assault, but it failed.
It is easy to see why, the cars do not look cool like this:

but instead like 9.95$ plastic RC cars from toys'r'us:

Also, judging from youtube gameplay looks like WoW on wheels.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Done playing the demo, with the melee guy. It was mostly fun, except the ultra annoyingly boring fishing part, now that was the one thing which should have been axed from Fate. Also I wish I had more identify scrolls or a way to buy identifications. Or just remove the need to identify everything. Having stashes of unidentifed gears and not even being able to tell which level range they might be could be annoying late.
KDR_11k wrote:What's important there is watching what enemies you're facing, what you can engage, when to run away, etc.
You'd have all that + more if you could shoot while moving. And as melee, I don't know how you can watch what you're battling, the mobs are mostly dark purple on dark blue, battles are short, with all the effects I can't really see what I'm doing. I just cast some slashing when I think there are many around me, and try to remember to recast my magic armor from time to time.
KDR_11k wrote:e.g. my dog knows necromancy and healing
I like that the pet autocast, as I often forget to cast myself. But then when my pet dog autocast his own pet skeleton to fight the skeleton that popped out of barrel, things become even harder to follow.
KDR_11k wrote:(though I have a gun in my holster just in case)
Dual gun on W was good for shooting barrels. I thought it could help with taking out lone enemies or melee bosses from afar, but it took pistols so long to kill anything that in the end just melee rushing was more effective.

KaiserJ wrote:im still waiting for a FPS game based around the questing idea of diablo but relies on twitch skill like a proper action game, and doesn't suck like hellgate london.
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20901
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

He said "doesn't suck like Hellgate", Borderlands is worse than HGL.
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

Played the demo, seems alright if your idea of a game is:

SPAM LMB.
SPAM RMB.
MANA POTION.
gotoline 10 until everything is dead.

Actually I think its pretty amusing, but I prolly won't buy.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You need mana potions? I may end up spamming health potions when I encounter something difficult (mostly in the buyable maps) but mana's never short (maybe because I have no ability that's useful for bashing bosses and AOE only needs to be used every once in a while).
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

KDR_11k wrote:You need mana potions? I may end up spamming health potions when I encounter something difficult (mostly in the buyable maps) but mana's never short (maybe because I have no ability that's useful for bashing bosses and AOE only needs to be used every once in a while).
but is it as good as diablo?
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

KDR_11k wrote:You need mana potions? I may end up spamming health potions when I encounter something difficult (mostly in the buyable maps) but mana's never short (maybe because I have no ability that's useful for bashing bosses and AOE only needs to be used every once in a while).
I went with the wizard dude, his mana using spell knocks back, spams three bolts and causes 100 damage per bolt. Uses tons of mana but no reload time means BAM BAM BAM BAM.

Plus, with his gun and all the minons he's pretty badass.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Tried, it, it's awesome. Getting the art consistent must have been a pain. I agree with forb, however: $15 would be a better price.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I just can't see buying another game like this to play alone. Playing alone is a waste of my time, I can do something productive instead.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

neddiedrow wrote:I just can't see buying another game like this to play alone. Playing alone is a waste of my time, I can do something productive instead.
I've played lots of great singleplayer games, they can be great fun!

Multiplayer on this would be epic, too, though. :/
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I didn't say they couldn't be fun, I said they were an unmitigated waste of time. I feel guilty for spending time in solitary pursuit which is unproductive in some way.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

lol difference between 15 dollars and 20 dollars q-q rilly.

I think alot of people are forgetting the fact you get a full editor that lets you mod every part of the game.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

neddiedrow wrote:I just can't see buying another game like this to play alone. Playing alone is a waste of my time, I can do something productive instead.
And multiplayer isn't?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

As the melee guy, I didn't use any mana potion, except maybe one one or two on bosses like the mutated brink (oops spoiler). But as the magic guy, you either drink mana potion like on a binge, or waste time doing nothing but watching your mana regen between each fight. Well, at least on early levels.
neddiedrow wrote:I didn't say they couldn't be fun, I said they were an unmitigated waste of time. I feel guilty for spending time in solitary pursuit which is unproductive in some way.
As opposed to the productive time spent gridding in a MMO?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Multiplayer is a social activity, I am doing something with other people, I am engaged and connected. The social element is in itself psychologically productive and thus justification for the activity. Beyond my normal anxiety I don't have any qualms for engaging in, particularly, cooperative multiplayer.

MMORPGs I don't consider productive multiplayer because I don't consider them games. There is so little difference between a PC and an NPC, not to mention such a large amount of work for minimal reward... it isn't really a game. It is more like a job you pay for, with the same sort of superficial workplace relationships. Any social element added I can just as easily get elsewhere, and without less drama...
Regret

Post by Regret »

neddiedrow wrote:I said they were an unmitigated waste of time. I feel guilty for spending time in solitary pursuit which is unproductive in some way.
Regret wrote:The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
neddiedrow wrote:Any social element added I can just as easily get elsewhere, and without less drama...
Double negative is double and negative.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”