Antivirus/malware

Antivirus/malware

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

BigSteve

Antivirus/malware

Post by BigSteve »

Hey guys, do you have any reccomendations for antivirus and anti malaware programmes?

What are the best one out there?

Cheers!
Peet
Malcontent

Re: Antivirus/malware

Post by Peet »

I use nod32. It makes me rage much less than avast and avg, but costs money.

edit: and it's the only software firewall I've come within 10 metres of without wanting to throw the computer out the window
Last edited by Peet on 25 Oct 2009, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
knorke

Post by knorke »

as background program i use "avira antivir personal" but i hardly scan with it, only runs in background to warn from infected downloads or cds. used to be better, got a little gay and bloated imo.

hijackthis is usefull for stuff like unwanted toolbars, tells you the registry informations and stuff.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i've been really happy with the free version of avast.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Get a secure OS, either by getting Vista/Win7, going for security via obscurity and getting a flavour of linux, or getting OSX. XP wont cut it, and anything older is laughable.

Run as a standard user account. Have an admin account so when you need to do admin stuff it'll prompt you for an admin password.

Follow the security guidelines of programs in system land and user stuff in userland, so no meddling with the file read writ epermissions on program files.

Keep upto date, and use windows firewall + router.

If you can do all the above, then you are pretty much immune to most viruses, and do not need an anti virus program. Keep linux antivirus boot cds or a small linux distro on dual boot with an antivirus so you can double check every few weeks to verify.

If you do get a virus, it cannot install itself, infact it will probably crash because it assumes its an admin account when it isnt. Rebooting will likely wipe the virus, and it will be limited in what it can actually do.

Ontop of that, you do not get the huge performance hti antivirus gives you AND under win7/vista there are several security checks which are turned off as theyre not needed under a standard accoutn which can at tiems give you a speed boost.
diggz2k

Post by diggz2k »

I always use AVG free edition and windows firewall + my router.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

KaiserJ wrote:i've been really happy with the free version of avast.
+1

Also, AF: While linux distros like Ubuntu do get some protection from obscurity, it's also inherently more secure.
aegis

Post by aegis »

AF wrote:security via obscurity and getting a flavour of linux
not the same thing.
If I take a letter, lock it in a safe, hide the safe somewhere in New York, then tell you to read the letter, that's not security. That's obscurity. On the other hand, if I take a letter and lock it in a safe, and then give you the safe along with the design specifications of the safe and a hundred identical safes with their combinations so that you and the world's best safecrackers can study the locking mechanism -and you still can't open the safe and read the letter - that's security.
linux is a fully open platform. anyone can read the source. if they still can't hack it, that's no fault of obscurity.

as for antivirus, I wonder how well microsoft security essentials fares.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

SpybotSD is the king
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:SpybotSD is the king
Spybot isn't AV. Avast is one of the best I've run across so far. I've heard good things about NOD, but it isn't free.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

This also might interest you: http://blog.avast.com/2009/09/20/did-av ... /#more-594
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The point doesn't hold because it doesn't matter what OS your on, if someone wants to hack you there is always a way.

The prime threat here is malware. Security through obscurity works in this case. Human beings on the other hand cannot be defended simply by an antivirus and a firewall, so focus on keeping things generally secure, use a little common sense about how you do things online, and try to do damage limitation if anybody does get through.
Gota

Post by Gota »

malewarebytes,avg,combofix,hijackthis,ad-aware.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

I tried some but always come back to Avira Antivir. It also rates pretty much just as good as the best scanner at av-comparatives.org which tests virus scanners and with like 99,7% success it as said performes extremely well...

You e.g. can see the results here (just scroll to the diagramm):
http://www.computerbase.de/news/softwar ... ner_beste/
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I don't do stupid stuff with the internet.

Worked so far for me.

/occaisionally runs Trend Micro's web-based scanner to make sure my PC is still clean.
//uses Microsoft Security Essentials when setting somebody else up.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

AF wrote:The point ... is ... use a little common sense ...
Download Picture.
Save as Zombie.cmd
Click on it.
???
Common sense lvl2 is experienced.
zCram

Post by zCram »

Nixies are better for security in general. I wonder when they are going to fix freebsd's direct rendering, prolly would be possible to run spring via the linooks compatibility layer.

However, many of the security mechanisms have been defeated in ubuntu, this is said to be happening by the devs because as to make it more "user friendly". That's not the nix way at all. Ubuntu devs have forgotten to study about the nix way (or beyond) and why it is essential. :| So far, nix for the masses that way is proving as bad as windows.

http://catb.org/~esr/writings/unix-koans/returning.html

Canonical's true purpouse is yet to be revealed, so far they are spending huge amounts of $Ôé¼┬ú to do something stupid, while their income is foo ^= foo;.

So use debian or gentoo or slackware. And don't belive what people are telling you, esp. about security. Read the code, test, try to break in. Only this way it is possible to not be tricked.
overkill

Post by overkill »

I recently got infected by a trojan and a virus Avast and spybot S&D missed. I highly recommend counter spy for your anti malware needs, as it is the only thing that found and eliminated them.
bartvbl

Post by bartvbl »

I recently found this one:
http://www.siteadvisor.com/
probably not exactly the same thing as you wanted, but when surfing the net it tells from each downloadable file what the risk is, and gives detailed reports on what the file does. Hope it helps, anyways :)
overkill

Post by overkill »

Neither is really better, Avast is better at its job, but avg uses less system resources. Unless the computer REALLY needs the performance (its older, or low spec) I would stick with avast.

Perhaps inform him of the pros and cons, and let him decide. You should not shove things down people's throats just because you like it better.

(I personally use avast)
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Parents are generally old people and sometimes you have to shove change down old peoples throats. I'd still be on dialup if I had offered pros and cons.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”