Torchlight

Torchlight

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Otherside

Torchlight

Post by Otherside »

If anyone was a fan of diablo or action rpg's in general you should really check this game out its 20 dollars on steam.

Its developed by some of the dev's that worked on diablo so it has a very diablo feel but with a nice cartoony steampunk art style. Ive got it and played through it a few minutes and was instantly hooked now i have to go through a whole day of work before i can get back to it.

Anyway have a look i dont think it will disappoint for the cost + it has a level editor :].

http://www.torchlightgame.com/
Spawn_Retard

Re: Torchlight

Post by Spawn_Retard »

why would i pay with real money?
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

because you want to support small game companies ?.

Really 20 dollars isnt going to kill you and its well worth it.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Don't mind otherside he buys every crap game that gets released.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Gota wrote:Don't mind otherside he buys every crap game that gets released.
and the game is crap because ?? you havent even played it.

unlike most idiots i dont like pirating games i like to purchase games and supporting developers (except EA games) because i appreciate the work they do and piracy is harming PC gaming.

My last three purchases are hardly crap.

Heroes of Newerth 30 Dollars Pre order (already have over 300 games played at beta well worth the cash)

Borderlands 40 dollars (still yet to play as i havent received it yet) widely possitive reviews

Torchlight 20 dollars < bargain and if you read the reviews its recieved pretty decent ratings.

Im not a bottom feeder of society like you and i like to support the gaming community.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Otherside wrote:piracy is harming PC gaming.
Top class bullshit.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Regret wrote:
Otherside wrote:piracy is harming PC gaming.
Top class bullshit.
for singleplayer games it is.

The only real way to make a succesful PC game in terms of sales is to provide a solid multiplayer experience that requires online authentication singleplayer stuff will always get pirated, thats why no1 gives a shit about singleplayer anymore and singleplayer games tend to be generally horrible.

Anyways requesting mod to delete posts derailing this thread thx.

Discuss the game not your blatant trolling which has nothing to do with THE GAME
Gota

Post by Gota »

Otherside wrote:
Gota wrote:Don't mind otherside he buys every crap game that gets released.
and the game is crap because ?? you havent even played it.

unlike most idiots i dont like pirating games i like to purchase games and supporting developers (except EA games) because i appreciate the work they do and piracy is harming PC gaming.

My last three purchases are hardly crap.

Heroes of Newerth 30 Dollars Pre order (already have over 300 games played at beta well worth the cash)

Borderlands 40 dollars (still yet to play as i havent received it yet) widely possitive reviews

Torchlight 20 dollars < bargain and if you read the reviews its recieved pretty decent ratings.

Im not a bottom feeder of society like you and i like to support the gaming community.
I find most games intellectually insulting.
But hey,you can buy whatever crap game you want.
Honestly i don't care about the PC gaming industry or console gaming for that matter and wouldn't care even if there were no games being released anymore,at all.
99% of all games i play,not including Spring, I only play when i am utterly bored and have absolutely nothing else to do,and I dont play many games.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

It is odd, because I can see all the perspectives here and pretty much agree in part with all of them.

Site won't load. Is there multiplayer? How is the balance, if so?
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

the game has no multiplayer atm. (might be added soon)

It is purely singelplayer, the plan for the game is to release it as a singleplayer game with moddable content and editor.

Eventually it will be released as a free to play MMO action rpg in 2 years or so.

cant really comment on balance in a singleplayer game.

It has 4 difficulty settings and a hardcore mode (die = gameover).

3 character classes.

Destroyer - melee fighter can dual wield etc has 3 path's which allow alot of variation from your normal warrior archtype (dual wielding pistols :D)

Alchemist - Mage archetype has 3 paths can summon imp's steampunk robots etc

3rd class - Female rogue type focused on range fighting but can be skilled for melee fighting

theres alot of customisation and item based spells so you can really mould your character to your needs. Also you get a pet which fights for you and you can equip to your needs (Morph into other creatures) or give your loot 2 so he can run off to town to sell so you dont need 2 tp every minute like in diablo.

game has a nice feel when you hit or crit or cast spells the screenshakes and overall i love the art style. Plus the random map layouts can have varied scripts etc so its not just plain random like diablo.

overall feels like diablo 1 but more action packed /modern with the mechanics of diablo 2 and some modifications improvements with a nice art style.
ralphie

Post by ralphie »

I'm mostly liking it,and I get it's not trying to be original, it could at least attempt to be something more than a newer diablo.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

sounds interesting but the low number of character classes is dissapointing. now, if you could make your own character class..
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

the 3 classes can be customised quite a bit seeing as you get spells apart from your skills you could make a warrior focused on summoning magic dual wielding pistols if you so please :P
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Sounds like Baldur's Gate:Dark Alliance.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

my char atm :] been pretty fun but i will eventually retire this char im only using him to grind rare equip to put in the shared loot chest for when i make a character on very hard

6000+ melee crits at level 30 ftw..

game resembles diablo 1 more than dark alliance though it does have its similarities.
knorke

Post by knorke »

hm. so this about halfnaked magic elv dwarfs again.
somebody should make a car combat rpg game.
like interstate '76 but more open world.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I would love to build that someday, it's been one of my dreams for years (the car thing). Need a budget to do that one, though.

As for Torchlight... meh, I haven't played it, but just from that screen, it looks like a game for people who liked playing WoW's single-player instances and grinding. OK. Could be fun for a minute, but I'd have to get past the graphics, which look so utterly 2005.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Argh wrote:
but just from that screen, it looks like a game for people who liked playing WoW's single-player instances and grinding.
Art style is WOW based, which if your a 16 year old teenage girl, thats fine.

Me on the other hand, id rather see something more realistic, than a teenage drawing thats been rendered in 3d
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

k might aswell ask this thread to be closed its full of trolling and stupid opinions of people who obviously havent played the game and are just flinging comments around because they are bored.

Nice to know you cant even have a proper discussion about a game on these boards anymore.

(alternatively just delete all of spawns/regrets posts)
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Otherside wrote:k might aswell ask this thread to be closed its full of trolling and stupid opinions of people who obviously havent played the game and are just flinging comments around because they are bored.

Nice to know you cant even have a proper discussion about a game on these boards anymore.

(alternatively just delete all of spawns/regrets posts)
Why cant you accept that it isnt worth $20?

From the videos i saw on the website, i would expect this game to be a free open source RPG.

It really doesnt looked polished, and the art style is unoriginal.

EDIT: i like how anyone that gives an opinion other than what you want to hear, is deemed trolling.

really, if you want 100% of the community to agree on what you say, go post on their forums.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”