slow computer?

slow computer?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

kburts

slow computer?

Post by kburts »

hello there, is there anything really good for a slow style computer?

my specs are:
2 Ghz Single Processer
512 MB Ram
64 MB Video Card

any options I can tweak to make this actually playable?? because right now it runs REALLY slowly (like 5 FPS)
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Re: slow computer?

Post by Tribulex »

set all settings to min. Ur processor is fine, but try getting more ram and vid card if possible.
kburts

Post by kburts »

getting a videocard is almost non-existant, because my computer is from 2000? or 2001...

and it uses DDR ram (2x256MB) and if i buy a GIG, it is $42 and my computer was only $50... so that would put me in a pretty bad position
caldera

Post by caldera »

2Ghz could be too slow if its a cheap one like AMD Sempron, so what kind of cpu do u have? In most cases CPU is the bottleneck in spring.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Disable unit rendering and play using the minimap only. To see what i mean, search youtube for "xtaboi" and look at his dotwars vids.
kburts

Post by kburts »

caldera wrote:2Ghz could be too slow if its a cheap one like AMD Sempron, so what kind of cpu do u have? In most cases CPU is the bottleneck in spring.
I don't really know, but it is from 2000-2002 i believe and it is really cheap and slow/ghetto/lame/has no legs...

WAIT !!!! TRIED IT AND... Cpu running at like 150% :D and memory being used fully and it is slooow as fuck :'( sadface
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

OTA
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

It's a sempron.
knorke

Post by knorke »

my older pc is P3 1000MHZ, 512 MB, geforce 2 (32MB)
and xta on smaller maps runs smoothly, but it looks very ugly:

i think with settings like this, you should be able to play. also xta is maybe the best mod for low-end systems (although on good systems it looks very nice) because there usually are fewer units.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Disable LUPS.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

neddiedrow wrote:Disable LUPS.
i think xta uses no lups
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

i ran it on a 1.2GHz AMD with 2GB of ram and a geforce 5200 ran fine for smaller games (less than 6v6), just make sure lua shaders and lups are off
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

wtf get a new pc newb

totally unhelpful and mean post. be nice. sharing is caring. don't hit people. I'll take away your crayons. --moderator.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well I tend to agree. Wtf are you trying to run modern 3d games on THAT?!?

It boggles the mind.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

It doesn't hurt anything to try.

kburts, if you don't mind speccing/playing with mostly only icons, you can type /disticon 1 in the console. That should speed things up a bit.
zCram

Post by zCram »

Meh.

I had a puter with PIV2GHz, 1024MB RAM later upgraded to 1.5GB and a 64MB card with GPU at 225MHz, made by ATI. Up to and until a month or so ago. It has been scrapped now and the parts traded. And currently I thus have just a 4 year old system, instead of the 8 year old one. I'm most happy with the nvidia card that the new system has, now spring runs w/o glitches on linooks, the way it should be (no more effy dual boots). With the old system I had played for years, no problem whatsoever, UNTIL MOD DEVS STARTED TO MAEK BLOATWARS. No really. It has been possible to observe a slow but steady reduction in preformance over the years in the mods and also spring itself (from time to time). An old programmer once said about realtime computing: "test on the slowest hardware you have access to"... TRWTF is why the central lobby system doesn't support multiple versions of spring, and also client-side installations of multiple spring versions could be better facilitated (I like to watch replays from older times). It's a PITA the way it is *supposed* to work now.

Thereas, a system like that will indeed be able to compute, but indeed with reduced graphics settings, increase in system RAM and perhaps with running tad older versions of spring and your favourite mods.

One day I was looking at the battle list, wondering why nobody plays on Mars, SmallDiv or Islands_in_War any more...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Try KP

Return to “General Discussion”