Canadian H1N1 Paranoia/Vaccination Program Freaking Me Out

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Considering stepping up my getting together my Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness Kit because it's starting to remind me of the premise for "I am Legend"...
BigSteve

Re: Canadian H1N1 Paranoia/Vaccination Program Freaking Me Out

Post by BigSteve »

I live in Vancouver, I've already had it and recovered from it, it wasn't that bad, I had a runny nose for 3 days and a sore throat for 1 day, that's it......normal flu was worse for me, unless you have pre existing serious health problems, I wouldn't even give it a second thought, most of the stuff in the news is just bullshit... as usual.

I suppose at somepoint it might mutate and get more nasty, Vaccines freak me out too though, especially if they're rushed out like H1N1,

Maybe you should try and catch it now while it's mild Sinbad! that way if you recover from it, you should be naturally vaccinated! so when it mutates you won't catch it and turn into a zombie. :)
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

BigSteve wrote:I live in Vancouver, I've already had it and recovered from it, it wasn't that bad, I had a runny nose for 3 days and a sore throat for 1 day, that's it......normal flu was worse for me, unless you have pre existing serious health problems, I wouldn't even give it a second thought, most of the stuff in the news is just bullshit... as usual.

I suppose at somepoint it might mutate and get more nasty, Vaccines freak me out too though, especially if they're rushed out like H1N1,

Maybe you should try and catch it now while it's mild Sinbad! that way if you recover from it, you should be naturally vaccinated! so when it mutates you won't catch it and turn into a zombie. :)
That ain't swine flu.

I talked to a dr. and she gave me the skinny: Most people haven't ever really had a real, actual case of influenza in their adult lives - we go through tons of various nasty stomache bugs and whatnot, particularly when we're kids... but most of the time it's a different kind of infection, or food poisoning, or whatever. Actual infections of bona-fide influenza are much more rare than people think.

The chief differences between swine flu and common influenza are (1) infectiousness (swine flu is more infectious) and (2) pneumonia (swine flu can lead to pneumonia if you're unlucky).

So, on the one hand, it's important to remember that Swine Flu is no worse than most flu infections.

However, you have to remember that you've probably never had a real flu infection. You've had other colds and bugs you _thought_ were the flu.

The actual flu knocks you down for a week, and you have trouble keeping food down. H1N1 is similar.

If you shrugged it off that easily, you got a cold.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I heard that too, isn't it weird about food poisoning and the flu being so widely confused with each other?

I'm still kind of skeptical since I used to associate food poisoning with being on your deathbed, and a flu with all the general "sick" symptoms - tired, achy, chills, maybe puking. Turns out that's actually just a really, really mild flu or a really horrible cold.

On the other hand, it's not like you can just say he definitely didn't have a flu just because he wasn't severely affected. Perhaps he just didn't inhale/consume/absorb very much of the virus at the point of infection. After all, aren't most vaccines just a small amount of the bacteria/virus so your immune system can get used to it on easy mode?

-----

Regarding the flu shot stuff, I don't think it's really being "rushed out" like they say. There's a flu shot available every year and the different types of flu aren't all that dissimilar. They use the same process to make one vaccine as they do for another.

The flu story is huge for news manufacturing agencies, I think they're just happy there's an easy story right now. Who doesn't like to hear about Big Science and Big Government trying to inject people with mystery substances? I think they made a movie once.

That said, I'm a complete wuss around needles so I'll just be relying on my own health system, wherein I avoid human contact at all costs. I do this all year round, I'm very cautious about getting sick. And being forced to talk to people.

If high-ranking people like the PM decide not to get the flu shot, it's impossible to say for sure that they're not just avoiding it because nobody likes to get poked with a needle. When was the last time you heard of a politician getting sick? They're completely insulated from the outside world so there's virtually no risk of infection to begin with.

OK, let's say the PM and the American President goes live on national news networks and get the flu shot. Then the story will just change from "government infecting its citizens" to "Politicians get fake flu shots, they're trying to trick you!"
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

If it freaked you out, then their primary objective was fulfilled.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

Well pxtl you may be right, I was a bit skeptical as to wether I actually had it, however, I felt fine when I arrived home from a week out of town, I got back Friday, when I arrived home, my GF had been to the doctor and had been confirmed by an actual swab test, that she had H1N1, on Saturday I had a sore throat, congestion and sneezing, the same symptoms my GF had when she went to the doctor, by Monday she was in bed with aches pains and sweats, for around 2 days, then she shrugged it off.

I never got any chills, sweats aches or pains, so it may have been a cold, but it's a bit of a coincidence... some people react differently to it perhaps, I'm fit and strong and have a really healthy diet, my girlfriend... not so much, maybe that was the difference, lots of water, regular exercise and eating well works wonders I think.
aegis

Post by aegis »

it's not swine flu without the FUD
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

I'm not going to get one for various reasons:
First they imo are really making up lots of things about how dangerous this new flu is. It might be more infectious than the standard flu but I guess that's it (and until today there most certainly have died way more people from the "normal flu" than from swine flu this year). That's why I don't think it's worth risking some after effects of what toxic shit it contains besides the flu agents (especially as there's the possibility I took some damage from a vaccination in my youth - while that's of course totally impossible to validate today)...
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

BigSteve wrote:I'm fit and [...], my girlfriend... not so much
Oh she has to hear about this.

Steve, if you can recall, were you the one I got in trouble when we were having a big group voice chat? I heard that your girlfriend was in the room, and I said, "Steve! Is that the one you sent us pictures of?" and then she gets on the microphone and is, eh, deeply concerned. Was that you, or some other person unlucky enough to meet me?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I miss Steve.
Gota

Post by Gota »

neddiedrow wrote:If it freaked you out, then their primary objective was fulfilled.

You mean,"The reptilians"?!
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

Ha! no Caydr, I think that was another guy! my girlfriend is a bit shy talking on the mic, I think the time when she started talking to drunk Cabbage just put her off for life, dunno why though, he was trying to "woo" her, I thought he was doing a pretty good job considering :)

Sigh I miss the good ol' days when we all mic'd up and blew each other to bits :(
Day

Post by Day »

:(
tombom

Post by tombom »

Caydr wrote:Regarding the flu shot stuff, I don't think it's really being "rushed out" like they say. There's a flu shot available every year and the different types of flu aren't all that dissimilar. They use the same process to make one vaccine as they do for another.

The flu story is huge for news manufacturing agencies, I think they're just happy there's an easy story right now. Who doesn't like to hear about Big Science and Big Government trying to inject people with mystery substances? I think they made a movie once.
exactly, all this anti-vac stuff is nonsense
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

There's all kinds of shit in the vaccination: mercury, lead, ect ect ect. DON'T take it. The vaccination is more dangerous as the flu.

The developers of the vaccine don't want to take it, and they advised their family/friend not to.
Last edited by Hoi on 25 Oct 2009, 11:39, edited 2 times in total.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

I dont need it -> i dont take it, simple
dunno if anyone would be offering me any anyway tho
tombom

Post by tombom »

Hoi wrote:There's all kinds of shit in the vaccination: mercury, lead, ect ect ect. DON'T take it. The vaccination is more dangerous as the flu.

The developers of the vaccine don't want to take it, and they advised their family/friend not to.
NO THERE ISN'T JESUS CHRIST

NO THAT'S A LIE JESUS

you are literally helping cause the deaths of people, congraulations
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

tombom wrote: NO THERE ISN'T JESUS CHRIST

NO THAT'S A LIE JESUS

Prove it.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Hoi wrote:
tombom wrote: NO THERE ISN'T JESUS CHRIST

NO THAT'S A LIE JESUS

Prove it.
Do you understand what herd immunity is?
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

There in fact is a shitload of toxic additives in most vaccines if not in all (just as substances to work against some side effects caused by those). The problem is to actually get to all of them as due to let the "producers" keep their secret on their vaccine you'll only find additives added once the actual vaccine is done (I don't know why someone came up with this rule but that's the reason why you often won't find more details on the information leaflet than having some weakened / altered viruses (or whatever actually is in there) swimming in some water. The companies don't have to tell what other additives have been added before mixing their vaccine with something else...

Hoi also is pretty much right about the mercury thing. Actually afaik at least for Germany there are only three preservatives allowed in vaccines where two of them contain mercury in them. I've no idea though how dangerous those are and if they get absorbed by the body / the mercury can form (even more?) toxic stuff...

The problem about side-effects from vaccines is that it's extremely hard to tell. The dark figure is expected to be quite high though and it's not like there are no hints or evidences for this at all. In France there e.g. was a vaccine for children cancelled as the number of children with (afaik) MS "skyrocketed". After not using that vaccine anymore it became "back to normal"...

Maybe I can find some evidence for that as I don't have any links about that right now...

Concerning vaccines actually doing what they're told to do - well I'm not sure yet what is right. The idea behind it makes sense imo and without all those additives it might be a good idea. On the other hand one has to admit that especially the first cases of Pasteur and so on were kind overrated if not simply wrong. I'm no expert though in terms of what studies about vaccines working at all exist nowadays...

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”