Bug in Single Player

Bug in Single Player

Moderator: Content Developer

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Bug in Single Player

Post by zwzsg »

It appears I mis-used the Spring.Restart command in lastest release (KP3.6). It somehow worked on my computer, not on anybody's else.

Could I get a few people with varied OS to test this patch, to make sure this time I got it right. I wonder how well it works for people running Linux, Vista, or having their Spring Data folder in odd places.

What I need you to test:
  • If you don't already have KP 3.6, get it at http://jobjol.nl/1685
  • If you don't already have KP maps, get them from http://jobjol.nl/1684 (disregard the .exe (well, if you have windows, and that .exe doesn't work, that'd be interesting to know too, just it's not the topic here))
  • Add this patch (to your mod folder): Kernel_Panic_3.6_Single_Player_Patch.sd7
  • Run Spring directly (not through a lobby).
  • Pick "Kernel Panic 3.6 Single Player Patch" as mod, map and script don't matter, then click "Test Spring".
  • The screen should turn into a greenish menu. Click "Missions", then "Herd and Pick".
  • Spring should automatically reload with that mission.
Post here if it worked, and what OS you run.
And if it didn't, at what stage it failed, with which error, etc...
JohannesH

Re: Bug in Single Player

Post by JohannesH »

Worked with my Ubuntu 9.04.
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

Everything works with linux (I think thats linux)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Works, Windows XP SP2.
Eisi

Post by Eisi »

Works with Vista Sp2
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Doesn't work with XP SP3.
http://pastebin.com/d25b551cb
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

The infolog is one thing, but could you also describe what happens? Do you see the SP menu? What happens when you click the button of the menu? Does Spring crash? Does it exit quiely? Does the same screen remain? Do you switch to the fallback screen with an orange box explaining it lacks some commands? Are you sure you really played the SP patch and not regular KP 3.6? Was Kernel_Panic_script.txt generated and if so does running it manualy work? Etc...
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Screen disappears instantly after clicking herd & pick, and no Kernel_Panic_ Script was created.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

MidKnight wrote:Screen disappears instantly after clicking herd & pick
That's the bug I had in 3.6.
MidKnight wrote:and no Kernel_Panic_ Script was created.
Now that is curious.
- Running a skirmish should create both a Kernel_Panic_script.txt and a _script.txt
- Running a mission should create a _script.txt but no Kernel_Panic_script.txt.
- My widget that writes the Kernel_Panic_script.txt of skirmishes should echo some error message if it fails.

Please try the attached version. I modified it to print some stuff after and before writing the script file, after and before calling Spring.Restart. I also modified it to autocreate the /Missions/ folder.

- Try running a "skirmish" from the ingame menu, post infolog.
- Try running the mission "herd and pick" from the ingame menu, post infolog.
- Start a game normally with that "KP 3.6 SP Patch 2", use /cheat and wait one minute so it creates an autosave. Quit. Check that the folder /Missions/ was created, and that the file "AutoSave.txt" was created inside. Then use ingame menu to try runnning the mission "autosave" from that "KP 3.6 SP Patch 2", see if it helps and post infolog.
- Where is your Spring installed? Is it a case of Spring being a folder that is protected by Windows? Or something else making Spring unable to find back the script files? To check that: After running the three tests above, scan your hard drives for the files Kernel_Panic_script.txt, AutoSave.txt, _script.txt, script.txt, and if found open them to see if they're related to KP 3.6 SP Patch 2.
Attachments
KP_3.6_SP_patch_2.sd7
(17.45 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

I can't seem to get patch2 recognized by unitsync just yet, but patch 1 does produce a _script.txt:

Code: Select all

[game]
{
[allyteam0]
{
numallies=0;
}
[allyteam1]
{
numallies=0;
}
[modoptions]
{
gamemode=3;
maxspeed=20;
scriptname=Empty script;
}
[player0]
{
name=unnamed;
team=0;
}
[player1]
{
name=Enemy;
team=1;
}
[team0]
{
allyteam=0;
teamleader=0;
}
[team1]
{
allyteam=1;
teamleader=1;
}
gametype=Kernel Panic 3.6 Single Player Patch;
ishost=1;
mapname=Data Cache L1.smf;
myplayername=unnamed;
nohelperais=0;
}
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

MidKnight wrote:I can't seem to get patch2 recognized by unitsync just yet
What?

MidKnight wrote:but patch 1 does produce a _script.txt
Oh damn, I just remembered:
Auswaschbar wrote:Ignore _script.txt, that has nothing to do with anything of that.
Indeed _script.txt is the script written by the hard coded ingame menu, the one with the tropical beach background. And so it has nothing to do with my mod-side ingame lua menu. Except when my menu works, in which case _script.txt contains the script passed to the new Spring via the Spring.Restart command. The one you posted is definitively the one written by the tropical beach menu, and not by my own lua menu.

Using my ingame menu to play a skirmish should create a Kernel_Panic_script.txt, but using my ingame menu to play a mission won't: The mission start script is stored inside the mod archive, loaded as a string and passed as an argument to Spring.Restart, with the line Spring.Restart("-s",VFS.LoadFile(MissionFileName)). I'm not sure but I think that line then provoke the string passed as second argument to be written into a _script.txt, and then it runs "Spring.exe _script.txt"

It would be interesting if you could manage to run patch 3, and attempt to run a mission, a skirmish, and the autosave, and give me the infolog in each three case. In that patch 3 I made it dump in the infolog the whole startscript string passed to Spring.Restart, so at least I'll be able to check that point if it exits without restarting again.
Attachments
KP_3.6_SP_patch_3.sd7
(17.52 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

patch 2 and 3 dont appear in modlist O_o
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Even after deleting ArchiveCacheV7.lua?