stiffness.

stiffness.

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

skruw

stiffness.

Post by skruw »

imho the only problem, (besides the singleplayer campain :P)
TA ever had was the -stiffness- , the planets where very lifeless, except the water/island maps, they where great for somereason the blue water made me happy.
dont get me wrong i like the dead planets too, but what i was hoping for was more life to the game, by adding waterfalls, inlakes, more trees bushes, tiny rivers why not old civilizations of unknown races, dead citys? villages?
over dimensioned vegetations on some planets with gigant flowers, trees and bushes. where there ice planets in ta i dont remember?
ecosystems?, birds, bunnys, raindeer, weird animals, fish, lizards
why not even go really out there and create maps with a dinasour or 2 :/
or dino bones, from not so longtime ago dead dinos.
i could spinn on with these ideas for hours.
could stuff like this be implanted? -rather would you like things like these implanted? or do you like the metal robot mashing and dont want anything but that?
should we create a thread where "working-art" can be posted with a short description about the artwork and where it should/could/would be added, with a poll or something, we all vote and it gets implanted or not.
that could be quite cool.
i would like 2 guis, one for each side, and then perhaps even a moddability so you can add more guis through a menu ingame or that it would download the new guis from a server or something.
do both the linux and windows clients use the same art?
and do the both versions have the same dir structure?

we need to make this game more uniq, besides the fact about the units.
well i am off to take a smoke ;)
hopefully this has been something informative and not just mindspacecrap.
in that case i am sorry.

we could use a opensource packager that works for windows and linux so we both could use the same art packs and stuff like that.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

All you're saying is very true, but we need people to implement it ;)
Personally the first thing in making the game somewhat "alive" is adding gaia player support. However I don't want to do a hackjob, so it's not very quickly done.
skruw

Post by skruw »

afkoz, i am not talking about a quickfix, i am talking about stuff to add later, but we should start thinking about the things.
thinking and voting, cos when the linux community wakes up, i will promis you that we will have all the help we need.
a project like this is something that is very very needed by the linux community,
i have added a forum thread to happypenguin.org for nomination.
this game could be game of the month and with a thing like that ppl will most certanly join this project.

http://happypenguin.org/forums/viewtopi ... 4601#14601

:D
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Zaphod I dont know how to add a GAIA player because I am nto familiar enough with the code, but lets say GAIA player was player nubmer 242, then it would be very easy to set up feature maps in a map so ti gave a unitname instead of a featurename, and thus any untis would go to the GAIA player, and ahve fulls cripting and animation and be guided by Sub-AI behaviours.

A gaia player could just be an added player that is on all teams....
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

would need the standard RTS categories, neutral, neutral claimable, enemy, ally, ally claimable...etc. (though all units are claimable anyways... these would be like "get close and the system switches them over to your team")
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

The "claimable" thing would be really neat for "domination"-style (from UT) gameplay.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Caydr wrote:The "claimable" thing would be really neat for "domination"-style (from UT) gameplay.
Well, with script you could fake that anyways. We already talked out a ton of domination-style titles. Or were you thinking Onslaught - which would essentially be Z, the original sector-taking game. I ported that gameplay to StarCraft, actually.

Essentially, the main thing is that a way to have units in one or more map-defined AI factions is necessary. The rest can be handled through hacking Lua script and the AI - provided AI is reprogrammable. For example, for "claimable" units, you could make an AI faction and set all the units in the faction to be immobile and holdfire. Then you make Lua script to handle their easy transferral to other players. Similar tactics could be used for critters, rampaging monsters, etc.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It would be easy to bind the function so that the lua script can change a units team like that.

And I'm sure ti can be done with a GroupAI if you can manage to assign it.

Otherwise such untis would stay put untill another unti came along then it would attack the other unit and follow.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Zaphod I dont know how to add a GAIA player because I am nto familiar enough with the code, but lets say GAIA player was player nubmer 242, then it would be very easy to set up feature maps in a map so ti gave a unitname instead of a featurename, and thus any untis would go to the GAIA player, and ahve fulls cripting and animation and be guided by Sub-AI behaviours.

A gaia player could just be an added player that is on all teams....
It sounds very simple yes (And it is ;), but currently the spring code references to some global team arrays and index them directly without bounds checking or anything. What I want to do is make a few inline wrapping functions around these team arrays, so I can just put team=-1 inside CUnit and CFeature, and not have the code start reading outside array boundaries. I'm planning to do this in the next few days though...
SJ

Post by SJ »

Any sort of check takes time, might be better to create a #of teams +1 team and assign map stuff to that.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Bloody hell... this mans a genious! SJ lives!

aGorm
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Any sort of check takes time, might be better to create a #of teams +1 team and assign map stuff to that.
It's a very small check though. I'm going to wrap the inline functions anyway though, just for flexibility. Then team things like this can be changed much easier.

Return to “Art & Modelling”