Backround?

Backround?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

NoobsAtWar

Backround?

Post by NoobsAtWar »

I was wondering if there was anyway of incorporating a backround onto the map when you zoom out, like that blue screen past the edge of the map, is there anyway to put a diffrent picture there? So it kind of looks similiar to SupCom
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Re: Backround?

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

It is possible to put in a skybox, if that is what you are referring too.
NoobsAtWar

Post by NoobsAtWar »

I think so. So how could i put that into spring?
Argh

Post by Argh »

You don't "put it into Spring", you put it into a map. See map-making documentation in that sub-forum for technical details.
knorke

Post by knorke »

not all spring maps have a skybox i think.

but as you do not see the sky when you zoom out, i think he is asking for something on the ground, like the map being surrounded by a rock texture or something. (?)
NoobsAtWar

Post by NoobsAtWar »

Im asking if its possible to do something like this Image, so when you zoom all the way out there is a backround at the back.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Get forged alliance
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Well obviously he already has FA or he wouldn't be posting screenshots... sheesh.

You could implement this as a widget, using OpenGL commands to draw the background as a textured plane on each widget:DrawWorld() call-in. This isn't the same as doing it per-map (like the skybox) but it would work with existing maps provided you are ok with a generic background for all maps (or for each map 'type' - if such a concept exists).

I don't know if anything exists already so you may need to get your hands dirty with Lua widget code and OpenGL to pull this off.
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

SpliFF wrote:Well obviously he already has FA or he wouldn't be posting screenshots... sheesh.
WRONG. Easy enough to get from a Google image search.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

What he posted came from original supreme commander, forged alliance changes that background quite dramatically.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

I guess Argh could make some comments on the actual work required as he recently messed around with drawing orders and altering stuff like that with the Lua capabilities so you have a single bitmap facing the camera as lowest "layer" and everything else draws "over" that...

I wouldn't call it "trivial" to do though but maybe there are more easy ways to accomplish the same...
lurker

Post by lurker »

Since this is apparently not clear enough.

Lots of maps have skyboxes.

Not all of them do, if it doesn't then you'd have to write a widget to fake one.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

We've had skyboxes for sooo many years.

See the menu at the top of this forum? Click "Development", then "Map Development" and ohhh, there's a whole page about skyboxes, what they are, how to make them, etc...
http://springrts.com/wiki/Skyboxcreation

You can also use the "search" of the forum. With it I found that 4 years old post of mine:
zwzsg wrote:Two .dds that were found working:
- C:\Program Files\ATI Research Inc\CubeMapGen v1.0\Textures\CubeMaps\SpaceSky512.dds
- http://www.fileuniverse.com/spring/Texture1.dds

Another dds in the exemple CubeMaps was found NOT working.

Instruction to make your own dds:
- Make four images. Any common image format (.bmp, jpg, .png, etc...). I only tried 1024x1024 and 512x512, and I think you have to use 16millions colors. But maybe other images are possible, I just haven't tried.
- Install http://www.ati.com/developer/cubemapgen/
- Run it
- Select Cube: X+ Face <1>
- Load CubeMap Face <F> : choose your face1
- Select Cube: X- Face <2>
- Load CubeMap Face <F> : choose your face2
- etc.. until you get all 6 faces.
- Not that for me nothing save a white circle shows in AtiCubeMapGen, but anyway, it works.
- Save CubeMap (.dds): save it into /Spring/maps/
- Then in your map .smd add SkyBox=yourskybox.dds; in the [ATMOSPHERE] like yeha said.
- Run Spring and it should work.

The orientations are:

X+ Face1 West
X- Face2 East
Y+ Face3 Up
Y- Face4 Down
Z+ Face5 North
Z- Face6 South

All side faces are: up in the image = up ingame
Down is: up in the image = north ingame
Up is: up in the image = south ingame
All faces are mirror-inverted.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I might be wrong but the effect he wants has nothing to do with skyboxes
lurker

Post by lurker »

But he shows a screenshot with one and seems to be drawing attention to the skybox.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

lurker wrote:But he shows a screenshot with one and seems to be drawing attention to the skybox.
He obviously has no idea what a skybox is and
the effect he wants has nothing to do with skyboxes
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Take your bitmap, draw it on a quad on the infinite plane ontop of a black skybox, and billboard the quad so it always points at the camera.

For forged alliance effect, draw geometry around the maps edges on a horizontal plane, and darken the skybox. Apply texture to surrounding geometry.

Return to “Game Development”