spring ruins lives

spring ruins lives

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

1v0ry_k1ng

spring ruins lives

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

i have 40k minutes ingame

i have probably spent 4x that in the lobby and battlelobby

and naybe 10k on the forums

210k minutes approx

thats 3500 hours - 145 days

in 3500 hours of going to work I could have earnt 28,000 pounds
or learnt to play the piano, or juggle, or just done somthing worthwhile. all I have to show from this staggering commitment is.. er,

FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuu
Regret

Re: spring ruins lives

Post by Regret »

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

I bet youd be much happier if you could juggle instead.
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

I can say you're prepared for your destiny as WW III general.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Most time in most lives is wasted if judged by the same metric.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Life is a waste of atoms.
aegis

Post by aegis »

I learned to juggle and play the piano in there somewhere, though I didn't get 30k pounds
smoth

Post by smoth »

Regret wrote:The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
truth
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I learnt to use the £ key instead of typing pounds.
maackey

Post by maackey »

For me I think the time I've spent with spring is *very* worthwhile. I've learned sooo much about game design in general, not to mention I can now make decent models for pretty much anything I want. Coming from absolutely no background in anything artistic I think that's a pretty impressive feat.

I never used to play any online game because I was always afraid to be crushed by the pro players, and I wasn't very competitive, but now I've pretty much overcame that and would have no problem playing games and interacting with strange and unusual people.

I get to talk with brilliant people who know tons of interesting things. I've learnt more coding in one night talking with an experienced programmer than weeks of self-learning reading stuff on the web. This semester I came into my C programming class a week late, and still managed to surpass *everyone* in there on the first day, because I could actually compile the first assignment.

So all in all, for me at least Spring has been very worthwhile, not to mention *extremely* fun and entertaining. It only ruins lives when you can't control your addiction to it (which I admit is rather hard sometimes :wink: )
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

being on computer is more fun that doing RL stuff like hanging around on street corners and talking or whatever it is those normal ppl do

we are all going to die anyway so learning stuff doesnt matter too much, unless your planning to change the world with your great scientific discovery or something

we are all pointless waste of space and we will all be forgotten eventually so who cares if we spend all our lives playing spring

id chose my life over some guy who likes to do real-life stuff like play football every day and go to pub, i am happy life and i have alot of fun :]

spring is awesome. u should have other stuff in ur life timetable like 3 different games to flip between alot and some time for RL stuff every once in a while is good too. or youll get sick of spring quick

and darren brown sux
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Luckily Derren brown is the best thing since sliced bread

I know several people who have been introduced to spring and have since spent so much time on it that they've dropped out of the university degree
Shoxter

Post by Shoxter »

* Message from server: Your in-game time is 139447 minutes.

I dread to calculate lobby minutes/times my client dced and didn't count the game I just finished ~~
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

life ruins spring:

'sry, phone' - are you kidding me?

'gtg, dinner' - get your priorities straight!

'wait, my kids hitting himself on the head' - D: omg, what have you done?!?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

being on computer is more fun that doing RL stuff - oh my, thats so sad... for example, i personally prefer real girls, not pc ones but w/e...

anyway biggest problem with time spent with spring is that u was lot of it while waiting for a game that playing... i think my time spent in lobby is like 150% of ingame :<

i liked how the things were working in warcraft 3 - i press 1 button and already connect to the 4v4 game... not possible in spring sadly :<
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Spring saves lives.

Your credit score too low for you to buy games? Spring is free! Your partner left you and took the car? Spring requires no love and minimal movement! Your addiction to cocaine has gotten out of hand? Spring is, again, free! You're weaning yourself off massive multiplayer online roleplaying games? Spring allows you to play as many people in many environments, balancing stimulation against simulated difficulty getting into your desired servers! Your boss is a dick? Spring can take the punishment! You're in horrible pain? Spring is distracting!
Gota

Post by Gota »

neddiedrow wrote:Spring saves lives.

Your credit score too low for you to buy games? Spring is free! Your partner left you and took the car? Spring requires no love and minimal movement! Your addiction to cocaine has gotten out of hand? Spring is, again, free! You're weaning yourself off massive multiplayer online roleplaying games? Spring allows you to play as many people in many environments, balancing stimulation against simulated difficulty getting into your desired servers! Your boss is a dick?OTHER Spring PLAYERS can take the punishment! You're in horrible pain? Spring is distracting!
Fixed.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Wombat wrote:i personally prefer real girls, not pc ones but w/e
they have girls on pc now :O ?

edit :

my theory... spring is just a game (or more specifically, an engine for many games) so i suppose playing could be construed as a waste of time

however as soon as you take an interest in things like balance, mapmaking, modmaking, or even post an opinion about design of any type on the forum, it's become a hobby.

hobbies aren't a waste of time; people who don't have hobbies are generally extremely boring. unless you are a workaholic and wish to drive yourself constantly to success and making money, then a hobby is a fun and rewarding activity.

TLDR :

springers who do nothing but play the games : waste
springers who contribute creatively to the advancement of spring : not a waste

after all, you could be out there antiquing or collecting stamps or knitting yourself some underwear... take it easy on yourself because there are much more wasteful ways to spend your time. (inb4 i knit so FU)
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

heeey... i'd love to contribute to spring but i have barely any coding skills and no artistic skill whatsoever...

i don't wanna be a waste :(
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Wartender wrote:heeey... i'd love to contribute to spring but i have barely any coding skills and no artistic skill whatsoever...

i don't wanna be a waste :(
Don't worry. Nobody takes anything here seriously. Except one guy. He's called Neddie. Stay away from him.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”