New Ubuntu Apt Repository for Spring - Page 6

New Ubuntu Apt Repository for Spring

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Re: New Ubuntu Apt Repository for Spring

Post by hoijui »

Hey! :-)
could you please include the Java AI Interface and the Null OO Java AI?
It is meant to be part of the official release of spring since 0.79. The only additional requirement is a JRE or JDK installed. though if you really do not want ot include this as a dependency, it would be ok to exclude it (as there are no real Java AIs yet anyway); the Java Interface will fail gracefully if no JRE is available.
The reason to include it is for Java AI devs to not have to compile all of spring themselfs, plus they could send off their AIs to users for testing much more easily; as it just had to be the Java AI, whcih is OS independent.
if you need help/further info, and someone for testing, i am available for that.
would be appreciated by a few AI devs, including hughperkins, me, and most likely all the other Java AI devs (there are a few). :-)

edit: it comes with the windows installer since 0.79
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

hoijui wrote:Hey! :-)
could you please include the Java AI Interface and the Null OO Java AI?
It is meant to be part of the official release of spring since 0.79. The only additional requirement is a JRE or JDK installed. though if you really do not want ot include this as a dependency, it would be ok to exclude it (as there are no real Java AIs yet anyway); the Java Interface will fail gracefully if no JRE is available.
The reason to include it is for Java AI devs to not have to compile all of spring themselfs, plus they could send off their AIs to users for testing much more easily; as it just had to be the Java AI, whcih is OS independent.
if you need help/further info, and someone for testing, i am available for that.
would be appreciated by a few AI devs, including hughperkins, me, and most likely all the other Java AI devs (there are a few). :-)

edit: it comes with the windows installer since 0.79
Is this just a matter of having the JDK available at build time? Then it should just be a few things added to the build-depends for the package
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

Having the JDK available at build time might be enough, but to be sure, set the JAVA_HOME env var, then it should work for sure.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

hoijui wrote:Having the JDK available at build time might be enough, but to be sure, set the JAVA_HOME env var, then it should work for sure.
After testing, yes this is all that's needed. I've uploaded a fix for the 9.04 package.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

just tested, and work here :D
thanks YokoZar!
hughperkins
AI Developer

Post by hughperkins »

So, just to confirm, the Java Interface and the various Skirmish AIs will be part of the Ubuntu package spring-engine? Or there will be a separate Ubuntu package for each AI interface, and for each AI, with appropriate dependencies so it is easy to install them?

Generally I feel that:
- it's probably easier to just bundle everything together, from a packaging point of view
- it might easier to use if everything just comes down together in one blob, and it means the AIs are easily available
- from an intellectual point of view, it could make sense to put them each as separate packages somehow?

Hugh
hughperkins
AI Developer

Post by hughperkins »

By the way, on a related note, is there anyway of previewing roughly what will get built in the next package.

What I mean is: on Windows, there is a build-bot that pumps out the latest installer after each git commit, so we can check it builds, and see what is included. Basically, I just want to know if there is some way of checking that HughAI builds ok, and is included, and runs, in whatever the next ubuntu package will be. And ideally, be able to do this after every commit, and on the actual build system that will be used to produce the final package?

Hugh
dust

Post by dust »

hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

the official stance about packages/installers is:
each game should have its own installer, so eg Kernel Panic, S44, ...
but about the engine package as we know it:
all the packages should include/allow to install the same things. eg the linux packages should include the smae as the windows installer. In practice, the windows (engine-)installer is maintained by the engine devs, and linux packages are maintained by others (eg YokoZar for Ubuntu). The engine devs decide what is ot be in the windows installer, and then the package devs usually adopt that. As there are more and more AI projects comming up, we will not be including all of them in the windows installer. I would of course ;-), but as many do not use AIs at all, it would be bad to have the installer blown up in size just for them.
It is possible though, to include an AI in the installer menu, as an option, and let it be downloaded when ticked. Though that has not been done yet (for AIs), so we would need to put that together first (though it should be little work, as it is done for the lobbies already).
For linux, we would probably have a default AIs and an optional AIs package.. or the former beeing part of the engine packge maybe.

short: It is a decission for package maintainers and the AI community, the only restriction form the engine devs is: not to use more space for AIs in the windows installer, and not to confuse users with a single list of 20 AIs to choose from when installing.

Hugh
It is very unlikely that your AI will be in the next release of the engine installer or any linux packages. Even Errors AI is not yet in the windows installer, though it is pretty good already. Your AI will only get there after some wide testing and happy users.
You should try to get your AI to the man like Error323 does it. just post a zip in your AIs forum thread, which users can just extract into their spring fodler and get going with your AI. You have it more simple there, as you dont need to supply a package for each OS separately.

what you explained in your last post is not possible. you either have to test your AI on linux as well, to test if it works, or find someone that does this for you. Though, things have to go really bad for a JVM based AI to work on one OS and not on the other.
hughperkins
AI Developer

Post by hughperkins »

Robin,

Well, that makes sense I guess.

I guess that as long as the Java Interface itself is ubiquitously installed everywhere, it should be fairly simple for anyone to grab a copy of a Java AI itself and install it, and it's not like I have to prepare 6 different binaries or anything like that, just a single zip file, and it's done.

Hugh
Iunthanaka

Post by Iunthanaka »

Hi to all.

I've been trying to install Spring on my Linux Mint 7 (equivalent to Ubuntu Jaunty) box but with no success.
I've been following the relevant instructions for the CLI but it seems that I receive a gpg error whenever I launch the command line terminal toadd the Spring-Developers PPA package-signing key to the list of keys that Ubuntu should trust for software packages. :(

I'd so much like to give Spring a try on Linux, since it works almost greatly on my Winblows Vista on the same laptop as Linux.
Iunthanaka

Post by Iunthanaka »

So, no one has the faintest idea about what happens with my issue? :(
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

needs more details like the exact error msg
Iunthanaka

Post by Iunthanaka »

koshi wrote:needs more details like the exact error msg
Here following the error message I always get (it is in Italian, though):

gksudo -- wget -O - "http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/l ... 3D8670A035" | apt-key add -
--2009-10-12 12:55:47-- http://keyserver.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/l ... isoluzione di keyserver.ubuntu.com... er.ubuntu.com:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFC66403D8670A03591.189.94.173
Connessione a keyserver.ubuntu.com|91.189.94.173|:11371... connesso.
HTTP richiesta inviata, in attesa di risposta... 200 OK
Lunghezza: non specificato [text/html]
Salvataggio in: "STDOUT"

0K 44,3M=0s

2009-10-12 12:55:48 (44,3 MB/s) - "-" salvato [775]

gpg: non è stato trovato un portachiavi scrivibile: eof
gpg: errore nel leggere "-": errore generale
gpg: import from `-' failed: errore generale
dust

Post by dust »

i did an offered partial upgrade today including spring, libtorrent rasterbar, boost and so on. great news, deluge and spring dont have problems anymore with which libtorrents they work.

the bad news, springlobby does not work anymore. qtlobby works but sl does not start anymore, also not after an reinstall.

any suggestions?

@ Iunthanaka btw. the key error is gone
Iunthanaka

Post by Iunthanaka »

dust wrote:i did an offered partial upgrade today including spring, libtorrent rasterbar, boost and so on. great news, deluge and spring dont have problems anymore with which libtorrents they work.

the bad news, springlobby does not work anymore. qtlobby works but sl does not start anymore, also not after an reinstall.

any suggestions?

Thanks a lot, dust.
But what do you mean? That, since SpringLobby is no longer working, there is no sense for me to install Spring on my Mint box?
dust

Post by dust »

Iunthanaka wrote:
dust wrote:i did an offered partial upgrade today including spring, libtorrent rasterbar, boost and so on. great news, deluge and spring dont have problems anymore with which libtorrents they work.

any suggestions?

Thanks a lot, dust.
But what do you mean? That, since SpringLobby is no longer working, there is no sense for me to install Spring on my Mint box?
no, just 1 answer and 1 bug report in 1 post...

i dont know if only i have the problem or others too. try it out and we will see if it is a problem of the package for all or a problem only for me. ;)
Iunthanaka

Post by Iunthanaka »

dust wrote:
Iunthanaka wrote:

any suggestions?

Thanks a lot, dust.
no, just 1 answer and 1 bug report in 1 post...

i dont know if only i have the problem or others too. try it out and we will see if it is a problem of the package for all or a problem only for me. ;)
Ok, I got it, dust.
However, I've just tried again several times: the gpg error is still there.
dust

Post by dust »

i had the gpg error before too at the manual package making but not anymore. i think it was a problem with the keyserver which is now resolved.
did you try a manual update or with the ubuntu update?
ananse

No ubuntu 9.10 packages?

Post by ananse »

I know the wiki just says to install from the ubuntu repositories, but spring and springlobby in the repositories are both older than the current versions. Will they be showing up in the PPA?

Return to “Linux”