AA load screens

AA load screens

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

AA load screens

Post by Caydr »

In case anyone's interested in using these as their desktop background... all of AA's loading screens are now available at:

http://www.planetannihilation.com/aa/me ... papers.htm

(at the request of several people on MSN)
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Change some of the messages. A little variation never hurt.
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

Those screens are far too dark.

It looks like you use a old CRT which has its gamma point already shifted well past 2.5 or something

(meaning totally unbalanced histogram, and everything is drowning in the dark tones)
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

They're about the same brightness as the stock loading screens, aren't they?

And yes, I do use an ancient CRT. 17 inch and every resolution without distortion, and every refresh rate without flicker. Owned.
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

Owned?

Well, some people like crap.

(hint: refresh rate or geometry doesnt do anything for characterisic curve of the electron gun->phosphour response)
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

My 17" CRT Owns to. It does way better resolutions than any TFT, Works at 85hrtz at 1600 x 1200 (so no stupid flickering) And has a far better britness and contrast ratio than practicly any TFT.

Infact, most people actully know that only the most expensive TFT will come close to being as good as a CRT, and the CRT will be a 10th of the price.

Infact, TFT's realy sux quite alot. To make it worse I realy want one. But I can't cope with having to downgrade my resolution, have a shity response (oh yes, they say 8ms response time, but thats between just 2 colours, you then get teh dam thing and find that almost all the colurs are nearer a 20ms respons time...)

Anyway ranting get people nowere and bear in mind I'm in a funny mood so I'll prob come back and deleat this latter...

aGorm
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

aGorm wrote:My 17" CRT Owns to. It does way better resolutions than any TFT, Works at 85hrtz at 1600 x 1200 (so no stupid flickering) And has a far better britness and contrast ratio than practicly any TFT.

Infact, most people actully know that only the most expensive TFT will come close to being as good as a CRT, and the CRT will be a 10th of the price.

Infact, TFT's realy sux quite alot. To make it worse I realy want one. But I can't cope with having to downgrade my resolution, have a shity response (oh yes, they say 8ms response time, but thats between just 2 colours, you then get teh dam thing and find that almost all the colurs are nearer a 20ms respons time...)

Anyway ranting get people nowere and bear in mind I'm in a funny mood so I'll prob come back and deleat this latter...

aGorm
Quoted for truth, except that I don't want a gross cruddy TFT.

TFT technology is WAY behind what I consider acceptable monitor quality standards, and it DRASTICLY outprices CRT, but for some stupid reason they have become a market standard. Frigging corparations want you to buy monitors that cost at least double AND take a huge preformace hit at the same time. I say fuck no! I'll buy your monitor and suck up those preformace hits when you make it cost the same thing as a CRT would.

TFT isn't even close to being ready to become the market standard. It SHOULD be selling only sporatically in the enthusist and bussiness markets, but someone told a whole bunch of idiots that they preform well enough to be priced so outragously. All lies.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

well it's nice because you can find a 21" CRT under 300 canadian
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

My LCD is fine, and I don't have the desk space for a CRT anyway... I never have any problems with contrast, refresh rates, and all that jazz in games or otherwise. It's actually much easier on my eyes... the only "problem" I have with it is that it's 15" and only goes up to 1024x768, but whatever, can't afford a bigger one and as I already said I have no space for a space station on my desk. Whatever works...
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

My LCD is good as well. I dont notice any problems with it at all. It saves on desk space, and is really handy for LAN partys. It also has a digital input which works niceley with my graphics card. the optimum resolution is 1280x1024, which is big enough for anyones tastes. The only problem is that it only works correctly at 60Hz. But when you compare this LCD to my old CRT, I dont think ANYONE would want the CRT.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Maelstrom wrote:My LCD is good as well. I dont notice any problems with it at all. It saves on desk space, and is really handy for LAN partys. It also has a digital input which works niceley with my graphics card. the optimum resolution is 1280x1024, which is big enough for anyones tastes. The only problem is that it only works correctly at 60Hz. But when you compare this LCD to my old CRT, I dont think ANYONE would want the CRT.
The CRT is probably worth <50$ how much did you pay for that LCD monitor? I'm positive I would choose the CRT monitor in the same pricerange.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Well, I have to disagree... 1200 x 1024 is no were near big enough for serios graphics work, and I would not touch a 60hrtz refresh with a barge poll. Why spend 5000 quid (which is what it would cost) on a half decent TFT, when you can spend 150 on a top notch CRT which performs better than the TFT anyway? Cheap TFT's are fine for business use and thats about it.

To tell the truth the only way I'm gonna go TFT is when I get enough to get one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/lcd24.html

and at teh same time one of these:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/lcd17.html

That way I can have a decent gaming TFT and still have one with loads of real estate to do my graphics on. But seeing as thats a 4 monthes worth of savings atleast, I'm unlikly to get it. Not till I get a New computer anyway.

aGorm
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

aGorm wrote:My 17" CRT Owns to. It does way better resolutions than any TFT, Works at 85hrtz at 1600 x 1200 (so no stupid flickering) And has a far better britness and contrast ratio than practicly any TFT.

aGorm
Right, and you play Spirng on 1600*1200? (with all options max, ofcourse)
I'm happy with my 17" TFT 8ms (yes that includes every color). I don't think my PC likes any resolution higher then 1280*1024. (I do have all settings on max).

And contrast? I never saw any CRT with a better (color)contrast then my screen ^.^ (But I didn't saw that many CRTs, at least no CRT with the same cash value as my TFT)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

you can get really good TFT/LCD but it costs 3 times what a CRT of equal quality would cost.
TA 3D

Post by TA 3D »

Hey don't go dissin LCDs without owning our using one. I have an Envision EN9110 19" running at 1280x1024 at 75hz refresh rate. I looks so much better then a CRT. Yeah I know it's not the greatest, BUT unlike a CRT I can stare at it for hours and not have it bother my eyes, whereas the CRT starts killing my eyes after half an hour. I'm sorry but once you see those true colors you can never go back. Heres the moniter and the specs:
http://www.envisiondisplay.com/products ... enu=en9110
http://www.envisiondisplay.com/products ... -specs.asp

Yeah I know I can get 85hz refresh rate using Analog, but DVI removes the white glow and provides a better, cripsper, cleaner, and Truer color image. Yeah it had a price tag of $300 at Costco, but after a $30 rebate(actully I don't remember how much it cost, as seeing we got it a couple years ago) it was around $270.
Kuroneko

Post by Kuroneko »

i use a 17" BenQ FP747, running at 1280x1024 and have never had any problems that I didn't have with CRTs. However, it is quite a bit smaller and lighter to carry :)
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Try reducing your resolution for new games. Try increasing your resolution for any kind of graphics work. Flat panels are overpriced, overhyped garbage.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

but flat :D
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

Min3mat wrote:but flat :D
thats so true... only reason i would buy tft/lcd is cause its FLAT... and light and dont take too much ur desk space

im more into style and comfort than in price or effectines

i should get rid of this 19" crt cause its too huge (i know its not that huge) takes way too much space
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Ah I like Flatscreen monitors.

I hate having to change the settings on ym home CRT when i change resolution, all these moveto the right change contrast rotation, all these other geometric configuration, having to degauss sometimes, the eaten up desk space, the glare from the screen in my glasses.

And do you notice? That what you ahve on the screen can affect it's dimensions? This si especially noticeable if you use a colour TV to display the screen, but if you see it then look for ti on an average CRT monitor it's eays to see, most noticeable when you got a blakc screen adn you move a large white box around, look at the edge.

My first computer had a CRT, years ago, that screen was easier to keep use of than the 7 month old 17" monitor I have now, and both screens show distortions at the bottom sides where I've had my speakers next to the screen.

CRT monitors use far more power than an LCD, My bedroom light flickers for a sec when i switch my monitor on and only when I do that.

However my school uses LCD screens, 2 types, adn I knwo a friend with a nice 19" screen, and I found both both easier to read, better contrast, easier to see thigns at larger resolutions, and they wherent a pain to configure, if soemthign was wrong, I'd simply press a button at the side and it reconfigured itself automatically, no curved sides, no distortions, perfect alignment that made the image take up the entire screen.

But alas if I want an LCD I'll go for a 19" + but I cant afford it.

Return to “Art & Modelling”