SPRING needs a REJOINE funktion!

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

HyPerRaZieL

Post by HyPerRaZieL »

hi , everytime when someone lost connection he can't spectate or back in game .... this is very crapy and sad ...

pls give spring a rejoine function as spectator or as reconnected player,
but this is annoying ....

greetings Hyp
smoth

Re: SPRING needs a REJOINE funktion!

Post by smoth »

feature requests go in the feature request forum not development.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Resync code has been attempted at many times in the past. Trust me, it's something that's very hard to implement. If you want if really badly, you may want to help develop on the engine. http://springrts.com/wiki/Engine_Development is a good place to start.
HyPerRaZieL

Post by HyPerRaZieL »

then a admin/mod should move it
lurker

Post by lurker »

Who said anything about resync? He said rejoin, as in spring is fine, net dropped out for a moment.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

lurker wrote:Who said anything about resync? He said rejoin, as in spring is fine, net dropped out for a moment.
IIRC, as long as you get your connection back up before your client does a timeout, you already get back in the game after a period of time.

IMO, a timeout shouldn't send the quit signal, instead it should bring you to another screen for attempting automatic reconnects, giving you time to get your connection back up. At the same time, the server should pause and wait for you for a period of time.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

When a timeout occurs, normally an rts will pop up a dialog saying that the user is lagging or not responding, and show a countdown from 20 or 100, during which the user can reconnect. The dialog can either be hidden or the host can boot the user.

This is what dawn of war does, and iirc Total Annihilation had something similar, and we should do it too.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

AF wrote:When a timeout occurs, normally an rts will pop up a dialog saying that the user is lagging or not responding, and show a countdown from 20 or 100, during which the user can reconnect. The dialog can either be hidden or the host can boot the user.

This is what dawn of war does, and iirc Total Annihilation had something similar, and we should do it too.
There is a countdown, counting from 30 to 0, in which the user can reconnect. Its just not shown, and the game continue to run in the meantime.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

but can you actually reconnect? is there a /reconnect?
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

imbaczek wrote:but can you actually reconnect? is there a /reconnect?
It will keep sending packets during this time. If the connection is fixed during that time, you can continue playing. (providing your public WAN IP did not change).
lurker

Post by lurker »

Yay, forgot to hit submit and now my post is half-obsolete.

There's not a lot of work between the current state and letting the user reconnect at any time, from any IP. Emphasis on the IP, if a connection resets and only takes 10 seconds to do it.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

lurker wrote:Yay, forgot to hit submit and now my post is half-obsolete.

There's not a lot of work between the current state and letting the user reconnect at any time, from any IP. Emphasis on the IP, if a connection resets and only takes 10 seconds to do it.
Actually, there is alot of difference. Reconnecting at any time requires resync, current state requires not.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

30 seconds? hmm we need to make this visible to the end user, Widget?
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Auswaschbar wrote:
lurker wrote:Yay, forgot to hit submit and now my post is half-obsolete.

Actually, there is alot of difference. Reconnecting at any time requires resync, current state requires not.
Not if it's a reconnect while Spring is still running, which I think is what he means. Then the client will just have to catch up the time it wasted while reconnecting.

Indeed in this case even after e.g. 2 min it could still work; possibly server could just pause other clients once the reconnect succeeded, to allow the client which missed 2 minutes of network traffic to catch up.

I suppose the main point is that reconnecting should be allowed from a different IP (Which I think it isn't now?), and that the timeout for network lag could be increased a fair bit (plus some visual indication and/or auto-pause.)
lurker

Post by lurker »

Though it's not far to go from a net message flush to an inferior resync. True resync remains orthogonal to this and quite difficult.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Reaction of players in games where such things happen: arg wtf, a lot of rage and hate towards the lagger
I much prefer the current system, where disconnecters silenty drop without interrupting the gameplay.

What would be a reasonable time to wait until player gets dropped? 45 seconds? 1 minute? Anything more doesn't make sense to me, as if there is a chance of reconnection, it would not take that long (broken cable, wifi reconnect etc.).
lurker

Post by lurker »

With a bit of work you can mark them as gone, make their units available to /take, but also let them come back later and resume their place.

Another way of organizing it would be giving allies control of the units for part of the waiting period, possibly with a gadget. 15 second grace period, 45 seconds of ally control, then marked as gone, for example.

With less work, just shove them into /spectator after 30-60 seconds, but there shouldn't be a permanent timeout to reconnect.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

lurker wrote:With a bit of work you can mark them as gone, make their units available to /take, but also let them come back later and resume their place.
Take is permanent, you cannot untake something. Also, how can you effectively play if you do not know whne / if you loose control about a subsets of your units sometime?
lurker wrote:With less work, just shove them into /spectator after 30-60 seconds, but there shouldn't be a permanent timeout to reconnect.
I disagree
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

couldn't you simply add a lua gadget api and let the mod decide?

for example com shooter might want to respawn a com, etc
lurker

Post by lurker »

I said it would be a bit of work to do. And returning could be manual, pestering the person that took. Just keep them on the team when transferring units.

What's the use of a permanent timeout? You can mark them as disconnected, remove them from the active users list, and then undo it if they ever come back.

Return to “Feature Requests”