SpringLobby hard to use?? - Page 2

SpringLobby hard to use??

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

MelTraX

Re: SpringLobby hard to use??

Post by MelTraX »

The thing with the flexible GUI is this:

If I split it horizontally, I have lots of room and can read the battle list just fine.

But if I switch to the battleroom, I have to resize it quite a lot to get all the infos in the room. There's still lots of white space though.

If I split it vertically on my 16:10 screen, I can see everything in the battleroom just fine (except for the spec and ready checkboxes and the player scroll bar) and don't waste too much space (if the people in the battle would talk some more).

But if I then switch back to the battle list, I can't see all columns and more importantly most of the right side is totally blank (I don't care about locked/passworded/empty battles).

So while it is pretty flexible, you just can't get a setting that works for all of the multiplayer tabs. Hosters probably have even more trouble with the additional tabs that I rarely use myself (map/options).

The best use of space I can come up with atm is this:

Though I just noticed that I have to recreate the right side each time a join a battle. :(

One thing bugging me for a while about the layouts is the minimal size of the battle chat. Is there any reason to restrict it to a minimum of about 200px in height?
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

JAZCASH wrote:Maybe I'd use it if it had all the sextras that TAS Client has.
Details please.
JAZCASH wrote:Also, if it worked with my unitsync.dll file I guess that would alter my choice quite a bit.
Join #springlobby and we'll figure it out.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I can't even imagine what "sextras" are in TASC and not in, say, telnet.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

koshi wrote:
YokoZar wrote: The icons for receiving a message seem to be the exact opposite of what I expect. An offline user is a yellow smiley face, someone who just sent me a message is blacked out. I can't figure out what the different colors on the chat tabs mean either
The icons are overlayed with the color you set in options.
I didn't make any such configurations. Like most users, I use the defaults.
YokoZar wrote:I think some of these could be merged.
Which ones, how? Have you been aware of the configurable layout?
Oh yes, the configurable layout was made quite painfully clear to me the first three times I accidentally dragged a tab instead of clicking and got a completely useless mesh of unreadably small windows. I quickly learned to never touch them that way again. In my case, I would have very much liked something like Firefox's right click->unlock toolbar feature. This makes it simultaneously easier to discover the tabs are movable if you want to move them as well as harder to make an unintentional mistake.

Regardless, I see a recurring theme of "well we have an option for that or you can configure that" in your posts regarding UI complaints. Making something configurable is not the end of all usability design. You need to pick reasonable defaults for things like window size, which tabs go where, and colors - this is what 90% of users use, and more importantly 100% of first time users.

By the way, I will note that the configurable layout cannot be changed in this way - I can't drag the battle room or battle list tabs next to the chat tabs. Instead they have to sit under completely different main tabs.
YokoZar wrote:Autojoining a channel should be as simple as right clicking the channel and selecting a "autojoin this channel at connect" checkbox.
You should actually try right clicking.
I just did, again, it didn't work. So I went poking around, and it turns out the option is only there when I right click the text, and not the channel tab. To me the tab is the channel, as that's where its title is.
YokoZar wrote:When I updated a fresh install I got a completely useless message
When I did that change, I handed the build to a few people who were utterly confused about the change w/o notice. Either way it's a one time thing.
Interestingly, if you had a "unlock" feature for the tabs you could use the checking/unchecking of that to control whether or not that message were displayed.
YokoZar wrote:I'll be happy to provide more suggestions if you like
Sure.
lurker wrote:Bug in the text control that they can't get the scroll position, and apparently nobody can fix it. At least I think they tried to fix it.
exactly. We tried a couple of different ways and best thing we came up with is the right click option to temp disable text appending.
It's quite possible your toolkit is simply inadequate and needs to be extended.

Some more issues:

There seems to be a good deal of wasted space on the single player tab. It feels wrong that There's a whole lot of gray area on the sides of the map and that the mod options are all off on a separate tab when they can be put into the main tab on a multiplayer game.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

When I re-order the channel tabs by dragging them around, ctrl+tab cycles through them in their original order rather than their current order. I just want ctrl+tab to go to the next tab (the one to the right) and ctrl+shift+tab to go to the one to the left.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

The biggest flaw is the download tab. It's just dismally short on user feedback - if a file is not found _nothing_ happens. If a file is being searched and isn't found yet, the user doesn't know that.

Also, the abbreviations in grids (like hte game list) are never expanded. There is no mouse-over tooltip to tell you what those 1-letter abbreviations mean.

The many nested-layers-of-tabs make it hard to find things.

And, a minor nitpick - iirc the "set default channels" is outside of the "options" tab, hidden in the menu. Unify the options.
R-TEAM

Post by R-TEAM »

Hi,
koshi wrote:First of all thank you all for the input.
R-TEAM wrote:on mods with many options,the options window cant scroll down
full to the end,musst first resized and THEN all options reachable ...
I get scrollbars just fine, did you check with current version? As for broken maps, we opted to simply dismiss them as teh other way round created even more confusion with users.
thanks for you replay ...
The scroll bar is still broken with SL0.11 and actuall CA testbuild 5369.
Here the pictures, first shoe before resizing,the other two after minnimal (~2pixel) resizing.
hc_001.png
(119.29 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
hc_002.png
(121.32 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
hc_003.png
(118.19 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
And it would be nice to have an extra option then to show broken maps.. (maybe a not high priority problem,have only a couple of older maps that was broken-have fixed it myself,so long time no newer broken map)

Regards
R-TEAM
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

This is just a bug, but sorting by date on the replays tab doesn't seem to work at all - I get replays from different months and days all jumbled around.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

YokoZar wrote:This is just a bug, but sorting by date on the replays tab doesn't seem to work at all - I get replays from different months and days all jumbled around.
Bug. Workaround: sort by something else and then sort by date. That will sort correctly.
kipale

Post by kipale »

For me the biggest issue with Springlobby is as follows:

In TASclient there's a clean interface with screen divided to chat and battlerooms. I set it so that I only see 7 or so battle rooms and sort them by players so I don't have to look at all the 50+ empty bot-hosted games. Also the text here is bold, big and black. The colors for which room is open (green) or closed (red) are clear and not some messy shades. I can comfortably chat at the same time I look for open games.

In Springlobby all the text is tiny, there's a ton of it in one screen, and while 90 % of all the information on the screen is unimportant stuff that I really couldn't care less about, I still have to browse into other tab if I wish to know all the important things or chat or something.

Less is more. I don't have to see 100 lines of chat at once. I can scroll up if I need to. My eyes like it much more if it's bigger.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

kipale wrote: I don't have to look at all the 50+ empty bot-hosted games.
Both lobbies have filter.
In Springlobby all the text is tiny
Options->Chat->Fonts->Select...
while 90 % of all the information on the screen is unimportant stuff that I really couldn't care less about, I still have to browse into other tab if I wish to know all the important things or chat or something.
You can customize the tabs (to see both chat and battles at the same time etc.). See MelTraX's post.
Only thing is, it does not save the layout.
BrainDamage
Lobby Developer

Post by BrainDamage »

SirMaverick wrote: Only thing is, it does not save the layout.
koshi coded the feature, next release should have it
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

If I could see all players in battles on one screen instead of having to toggle through all the games to see who's in them, this would probably make me use SL instead of TAS Client.
kipale

Post by kipale »

Options->Chat->Fonts->Select...
Oh didn't know the size thing was behind the select button. Didn't feel intuitive to me, but I guess it does for some.

Anyways, I tried to change chat font size and it didn't work. No change. I change font, click ok and the text in the example box changes. But nothing else changes and when I click the font select again it shows size 10 again.
You can customize the tabs (to see both chat and battles at the same time etc.).
Maybe someone should write about how to do this? And maybe some pre-defined layouts wouldn't hurt either. In fact it would rock totally if you made a layout that would make springlobby look just like TASclient. Changed font and all. Then all players coming from TASclient would find springlobby very familiar. I don't mean to change the default looks but make a menu where I could change the looks with simple one-click system.
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

theres no 'Find Battle' which i find annoying and i cant click 'Join' on a player in pm

and make it more obvious when some1 pm's you i always miss it
koshi
Lobby Developer

Post by koshi »

Brain Damage wrote:
SirMaverick wrote: Only thing is, it does not save the layout.
koshi coded the feature, next release should have it
Just wanted to let everyone know that this is in 0.33 now.
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

0.34 actually :)
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Sorting is weird in the battle-list.... dunno if this is a current bug or already fixed - I just got 0.34, but haven't checked yet - just after reconnecting after a hibernate (thus, SL lost connection) the sorting is wrong - just plain wrong. If I click on the sorted column, the sort is flipped, but still wrong. I have to click on a different sort column adn then click back to get it sorting properly.

Usually I keep it sorted on player count.
SirMaverick wrote:
YokoZar wrote:This is just a bug, but sorting by date on the replays tab doesn't seem to work at all - I get replays from different months and days all jumbled around.
Bug. Workaround: sort by something else and then sort by date. That will sort correctly.
This is why it's always important to keep dates in yyyy-mm-dd format.
jeykey

Post by jeykey »

I would like to see a quick filter option in order to find peoples hanging around in chats or to filter battles on the quick... like in qtlobby
slogic
AI Developer

Post by slogic »

Pxtl wrote:This is why it's always important to keep dates in yyyy-mm-dd format.
No. There should be two values per cell: internal (.value) & visual (.text). Internal is a double or strict formatted string as you mentioned. Visible depends on user's locale. Actually never played with wx so don't know their control abilities.

Return to “SpringLobby Client”