multithreaded build for linux?

Discuss everything related to running Spring on your chosen distribution of Linux.

Moderator: Moderators

Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

the title says it all, really, is it going to happen? and if so, when? because i'm planning to build a new computer soon and it's going to have multi-core processors.
Neddie
Community Lead

Re: multithreaded build for linux?

Post by Neddie »

I assume, given the advances in the next release, it should be coming in two or three further releases, though I'm not involved in engine development.

I'm looking forward to it too.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

I have a multicore processor. Spring uses both cores by default, using the special multithreaded build worsens performance for me.

If you want to try it too, you need to build spring from source.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

For me spring gets about 50-70% higher fps on linux compared to win7
aegis

Post by aegis »

you using aero + windowed mode on windows? I haven't seen much difference on the same settings...
Wartender
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by Wartender »

so apparently if i build spring from source it's multithreaded?
cool.
and even if it isn't i suppose i can wait since i'm not getting a new computer for a while xD
Operator

Post by Operator »

As I know, not just build. You have to configure your build with some cmake flags. Use ccmake . at your spring sources directiory and switch on options "use_gml" and "use_gml_sim". Then compile it. During startup the game, you'll see signature, like "spring 0.80.#-MT (# threads)" on the load screen.
Then about perfomance: on windows (both XP and Vista x64) MT binary gives +70% fps in any game situation with 4-core procesor (my friend's uber-machine), but on Linux (Slackware, x86) it gives me only +6-8 fps maximum with my C2D e8400@4GHz.
And it's only make sense for 0.80.2. Spring 0.80.4 with MT shows the same perfomance, as 80.2, but when I built it without MT-optimization, I'd +25 (!) fps in my tests (under avg. ingame load, i mean). I don't know, what developers made with code, but +40% perfomance only for changing the version - it's a great result.
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

multithreaded makes a massive different imo and should be an option in the settings or something

Return to “Linux”