Are we rally that bad? - Page 3

Are we rally that bad?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Argh

Re: Are we rally that bad?

Post by Argh »

Meh.

It's easy to be a jerk while not technically breaking a "rule". I can probably get everybody on this Forum fired up without ever breaking the current rules, it's pretty easy to touch the hot buttons.

The point is that we're not a debate club- we're here to make and enjoy cool video games. We shouldn't be wasting a lot of time fighting, and the moderators shouldn't be allowing such fights to go on in public, regardless of technicalities.

If people just want to scream at each other, they can take it to PM. If people want to have serious discussions where they may disagree, they need to keep it moderate in tone.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

SinbadEV wrote: I'm a troll [/color])
If sinbads in power and admits hes a troll, i think this is reason enough to promote me as moderator also.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Forboding Angel wrote:You're kidding right? I know of several, including myself.
I guess you got my point wrong. With "asshats" I don't mean people you or anyone might dislike. I meant people that simply won't stop even when mods tell so, give warnings and make a believable comment that you're getting banned if you continue (which will only show up if someone is persistent in doing whatever he did)...

So do you really know many people here that would just continue flaming or whatever even at the risk of getting a timeban? I don't and guys with quite a temper will just leave the topic. A mod knowing such people also could react by simple closing the topic (which already happens from time to time)...

My main argument behind all this is that it simply works as it's applied in pretty much any forum I know and there nowhere exist the "problems" we have nor the problems you suggest we'd have with that system...
Argh

Post by Argh »

I meant people that simply won't stop even when mods tell so, give warnings and make a believable comment that you're getting banned if you continue
We don't seem to attract that level of psychotic nutcase, no, thank goodness. Sock-puppet behaviors, etc. are all very rare here.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Perhaps 1 day tempbans are the way to go then. Start handing out tempbans for infractions and all of a sudden people will mind their P's and Q's a lot more.
Sertse

Post by Sertse »

KaiserJ wrote: b) we are all intelligent people (sure, you can question this, but for gods sake think about it; we are posting on a forum about an OS RTS engine and our own projects involving art and programming. this is not pokemon forum... even if you think someone on here is really stupid, chances are stepping out your door today the first person you see will be stupider than them. common sense <> intelligence.)
/Offtopic hijack

Check out smogon.com and the sheer data and research they have on game mechanics and competitive movesets/strategies in Pokemon. It's a whole new and much deeper game.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Argh wrote:
I meant people that simply won't stop even when mods tell so, give warnings and make a believable comment that you're getting banned if you continue
We don't seem to attract that level of psychotic nutcase, no, thank goodness.
We have had a decent number of those on the lobby.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I can believe that, on the Lobby side.

Those folks' investment in the project's overall success is nil, so they really have no incentives to be rational, after all.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Argh wrote:Those folks' investment in the project's overall success is nil, so they really have no incentives to be rational, after all.
You speak as if you spend time on lobby often.
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

God, I swear some people on spring have less balls than a 'Remaining men together' meeting put together. Boo hoo, he was mean to be, he's not constructive to this argument because he disagreed with me in a mean way! BAN HIM.

lern to be less srs.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Sgt Doom

Post by Sgt Doom »

To be honest the only reason I wasn't driven off by the community in the first place is that I primarily inhabit a forum which is (or at least was) much less friendly to noobs.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Argh wrote:Meh.

The point is that we're not a debate club- we're here to make and enjoy cool video games.
What? Why hasn┬┤t anybody ever told me? All those years, spend in the wrong club, isn┬┤t this the Kyiv Spring Debate Group? Oh, noes..
now i did all that stupid mapmaking, that it thought to be some ridiculous clubjoinchallenge, funothing...
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

also:

you useless fecking noob, you really can't even spell 'really'?

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :x :evil: :x :twisted: :evil: :x :x :P
Soul

Post by Soul »

SinbadEV wrote:I was fairly inept computer-wise (mind you, more apt than your average person!) when I first discovered spring (I wonder how I even managed to install it :| ).
Installing was easier and less problematic a few years ago.
I'm not saying the developers are doing a worse job these days, only that there are more things that can go wrong.

I see no problem with newbs coming to us, and they do contribute even if you don't notice.
Newbs are like the average non-spring person, so everytime when they complain about stuff that doesn't "work" we all get busy trying to solve/explain it.

This leads to improvement in ourselves, both in understanding how problems can occur in spring that we would never notice, or if there wasn't a problem, how we should present stuff to make people understand our stuff better.

And we will always need new eyes to look on spring, new eyes equals new ideas.
And these are ideas that we can use, even if they come in format of complaints and newbrage.

By helping one you help all.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

So was this topic in vain or this there an actual interest in rethinking some behaviour and moderation manners? :|
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Heck, I didn't know the first thing about modeling when I first started making units for CA, but I learned over time. But only because I ignored the idiots and trolls who told me my work is crap, which people will still do now, that I have been able to learn loads about a lot of different things. If people were more supportive around here, and less trollish/condescending, I would have learned much quicker and have been more motivated.

I try to help out in #newbies and I agree that the ignorance gets a little overwhelming, but there are so few people its nice to even see some new blood. Its not nice to see people being mean and making rude remarks.
I agree with everything in the above quote.

Edit:
Soul wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:I was fairly inept computer-wise (mind you, more apt than your average person!) when I first discovered spring (I wonder how I even managed to install it :| ).
What?

EditEdit:
Good idea. As a moderator, will you enforce it? Or will your words eventually disappear into the depths of offtopic and forever from our memories?

EditEditEditEdit:
Master-Athmos wrote:So was this topic in vain or this there an actual interest in rethinking some behaviour and moderation manners? :|

EditEditEdit:
Sertse wrote:
KaiserJ wrote: b) we are all intelligent people (sure, you can question this, but for gods sake think about it; we are posting on a forum about an OS RTS engine and our own projects involving art and programming. this is not pokemon forum... even if you think someone on here is really stupid, chances are stepping out your door today the first person you see will be stupider than them. common sense <> intelligence.)
/Offtopic hijack

Check out smogon.com and the sheer data and research they have on game mechanics and competitive movesets/strategies in Pokemon. It's a whole new and much deeper game.
I'm not totally sure, but I believe "/Offtopic hijack" comes at the endof the post, rather than between the quote and your post. Just a friendly nudge! :-)

There is a point I would like to make above my above reply. In this community, we have the unhealthy habit of promoting trolling as humor. "Lulz" gets the engine and the code nowhere, and is useful only in small amounts, as a morale booster. Oddly enough, if I had replied with something like the following, It would have most probably heightened my standing in the eyes of other members of this community:
Sertse wrote:

/Offtopic hijack
Fixed. Lern2grammar.

We need to stop giving as much positive feedback to negative, crude, and corrosive humor as we do right now. That is my opinion.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

MidKnight wrote:
Soul wrote:
What?
My sentiments exactly... I don't recall posting that... though, for the record, when I first installed spring it was back in the golden age, when the only game that worked properly was XTA and maps and mods downloaded auto-magically from file-universe... I had zero problems using it the first time, other then my buttons not having words... which I was smart enough to get around by memorizing their positions... it was also after a weekend of lan-gaming Classic TA.

Also, this era was when I wrote the manual...

Sorry, not sure where that's going... I'm high on caffeine right now and I tend to act strange/think I'm more creative.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

SinbadEV wrote:
Soul wrote:
My sentiments exactly... I don't recall posting that... though, for the record, when I first installed spring it was back in the golden age, when the only game that worked properly was XTA and maps and mods downloaded auto-magically from file-universe... I had zero problems using it the first time, other then my buttons not having words... which I was smart enough to get around by memorizing their positions... it was also after a weekend of lan-gaming Classic TA.

Also, this era was when I wrote the manual...

Sorry, not sure where that's going... I'm high on caffeine right now and I tend to act strange/think I'm more creative.
My "what" was mostly because I wrote that post. :P

also, lolerror: "You may embed only 3 quotes within each other."
smoth

Post by smoth »

I thought about give a thoughtful reply but this site will continue with the sort of lax moderation that it is has had for years. The fact that argh and several others can:

" be a jerk while not technically breaking a "rule". I can probably get everybody on this Forum fired up without ever breaking the current rules, it's pretty easy to touch the hot buttons."
-argh

Up until the point that I boil over then you moderators get mad at me for raging back. seriously, he has been doing this shit for years, as have several others yet I am the fucking bad guy. I am calling you out moderators! I don't think any discussion here is going to change the way this site is run and it has been run this way for so long that I suspect that it will never change. So I do not see any productive discussion coming from this thread at all.

Want to hate me for saying this outright? fine, do so, I feel I have been ignored long enough and it is a problem. So hate me for saying it at least you guys might think about the problem!

I am smoth, and I take full responsibility for this post.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”