Spring's Player Stats / Peak Hours - Page 3

Spring's Player Stats / Peak Hours

Please use this forum to set up matches and discuss played games.

Moderator: Moderators

DavetheBrave

Re: Spring's Player Stats / Peak Hours

Post by DavetheBrave »

el_matarife wrote:Learning how to build a massive metal maker economy is the key to winning the economy war, without which you'll never be successful in Spring. The guy with the biggest economy wins 90% of the time or more.
NUB ALERT!!
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

hunterw wrote:games that last longer than 20/25 minutes.
Okay, you've got a good point here. If you're on a map like Comet Catcher that's all about the rush a metal maker economy will get you killed. The point is, your economy should always be expanding. Does anyone disagree with that sentiment? Maybe greenfields isn't the best way to learn a metal maker economy, but having a metal maker economy is critical at T2.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

A beginner wouldn't know what to do with that econ anyway. Learn how to get to that point in the battle, first... And newbs often start to tech up after hitting t2 toon soon anyway.

Also: don't play 8v8 dsd if you want to learn the game. Unless if 8v8 dsd is the whole game for you...
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

el_matarife wrote:
hunterw wrote:The point is, your economy should always be expanding. Does anyone disagree with that sentiment?
correct. it should always be expanding in the most efficient way possible, which is to say, metal extractors until all proximal spots are either taken or contested.

8v8 dsd is a great way for noobs to learn since they can hide behind meat shields and not get run over in 5 minutes, but they need to graduate on to 4v4 dsd, and eventually on to less and less porcy maps.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

hunterw wrote:
el_matarife wrote:
hunterw wrote:The point is, your economy should always be expanding. Does anyone disagree with that sentiment?
correct. it should always be expanding in the most efficient way possible, which is to say, metal extractors until all proximal spots are either taken or contested.

8v8 dsd is a great way for noobs to learn since they can hide behind meat shields and not get run over in 5 minutes, but they need to graduate on to 4v4 dsd, and eventually on to less and less porcy maps.
I disagree. Not that it couldn't be a good way to teach them, but that it presently isn't. The complete lack of pressure leads to pretty much idiotic play, I seldom see decent economic models come out of rear players in 8v8 DSD, save for people who became skilled in other play structures earlier.
Jish

Post by Jish »

i wonder what happened in december which made the player base rise lots
YHCIR

Post by YHCIR »

Jish wrote:
i wonder what happened in december which made the player base rise lots
Christmas (lots of spare time + new computers)
By the middle of Jan it looks like it fell again, then started to rise in Jan/feb.
Jish

Post by Jish »

maybe it was christmas holidays and then easter holidays abit after that
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

neddiedrow wrote:
hunterw wrote:
I disagree. Not that it couldn't be a good way to teach them, but that it presently isn't. The complete lack of pressure leads to pretty much idiotic play, I seldom see decent economic models come out of rear players in 8v8 DSD, save for people who became skilled in other play structures earlier.
i don't think new players can learn much when they die in under 5 minutes every time - they need to have less pressure so they can acclimate to order giving, queuing up stuff, and other basics
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

That point I do agree on, though of course, as Sak always brings up, his method of throwing them on the frontline does tend to create better players faster among those that stick around.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

It's hard for newbies to play eachother though.

On the other hand with BA Coop it's now quite reasonable to have newb+vet vs newb+vet and no one feel like their team is being severely stifled. The noobs can learn quicker in coop too because they can directly watch good players.

In other words, I'm excited about coop and its inclusion in the next BA.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

throwing noobs in to massive team games were they can purely depend on allies just leads to them picking up really bad habits and leads to a noobier population.

All these co op things and big games is cool and all and sure it might attract some players but it also doesnt let players really improve and breeds noobs.

throw them in the deep end they will get pwnd a few times but they will learn faster (im using CA as an example here because i dont play BA) but as CA games are generally 4v4/5v5 (8v8 are quite common now to) games are more reliant on individual players so they end up learning quicker, the players who dont quit early from being pwned to much and listen to there allies have generally turned into quite decent players. Were as ive seen some people who just purely play 8v8 dsd or the sort and have star ranks and are still bad players :p.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

el_matarife wrote:The point is, your economy should always be expanding. Does anyone disagree with that sentiment?
I disagree. Your economy is irrelevant. The point is the enemy's economy should expand less than yours. If it means rushing all your metal into raiders - giving up all expansion - and destroying the enemy economy, fine. Practically, though, it's usually easier to build mexes than raid enemy ones (up until there are no free spots). After that, depending how porcy the game is, it is more effective to raid enemy mexes than extend yours by making mmakrs. That, and there's always reclaim...
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Teutooni wrote:
el_matarife wrote:The point is, your economy should always be expanding. Does anyone disagree with that sentiment?
I disagree. Your economy is irrelevant. The point is the enemy's economy should expand less than yours. If it means rushing all your metal into raiders - giving up all expansion - and destroying the enemy economy, fine. Practically, though, it's usually easier to build mexes than raid enemy ones (up until there are no free spots). After that, depending how porcy the game is, it is more effective to raid enemy mexes than extend yours by making mmakrs. That, and there's always reclaim...

your presuming its BA :p

imo Expanding should ways be top priority, and i think very few players learn this in games like 8v8DSD. these are one of the bad habbits new players learn

Im not trying to bash BA by saying MM's suck (its not the only mod that has them) but whilst MM can be useful to boost your economy when all mex's are capped, alot of noob players use it as an excuse not to expand which is a nasty habbit.

Maybe thats why im a big fan of overdrive it shoves noobs into the deep end and forces expansion because there is no other alternative. Regardless of how MM's are less efficient than mex expansion in other mods its still a somewhat valid option (though noobs will fail trying to do it unless they play other noobs and it turns into a porc fest).
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Otherside wrote:your presuming its BA :p
No u. I was talking about XTA!
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

This died apparently, I'm getting some error message in French that I don't understand. Is there another good source for "Player online now" and "players online over the last 24 hours"?
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

This link should be added to the welcome message on the server.
knorke

Post by knorke »

nice page!

so this means to play 1h you need to wait 1h? (50-50)
and does this also include empty autohosts?
bibim
Lobby Developer

Post by bibim »

knorke wrote:so this means to play 1h you need to wait 1h? (50-50)
It's just the percent of CA players (= players in a CA battle room) which are in-game.
knorke wrote:and does this also include empty autohosts?
Yes, empty autohosts are considered as spectators waiting in a battle room.

Maybe I will improve these graphs soon.
For now I just added this graph, which only shows the in-game part of the Spring players by activity graph, so it's easier to see the evolution of the main activity indicator imo:

Return to “Ingame Community”