Ta Cover

Ta Cover

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Warl

Ta Cover

Post by Warl »

hei,
i designed for my school project a dvd Cover for Ta:spring (ta universe).
And i just want to show it the community. sry but it is in german :)

Jazcash

Re: Ta Cover

Post by Jazcash »

Nice, I wish our school had projects like that :(
ash2life

Post by ash2life »

looks great - i would have used another Font for the game description text on the DVD box. All in all i'd buy it

btw. im Abschluss 2003 Grafik-Design in Freiburg, Freelancer mostly(hard to get a decent jobs lately)
Warl

Post by Warl »

i study interactive entertainment(grafic, gamedesign) in munich.

wollte auch erst in freiburg anfangen fand ich aber nicht so mein ding.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I do graphic design in my spare time, not as a job or anything though, I'm only 16 :P
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Nice!
TheRegisteredOne

Post by TheRegisteredOne »

lol. it has arm and core logos I made from way back
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Heh now if you can link us to 'TA Spring' that'd be peachy ^_^

Nice covers, though you would be better off using the horizontal version of my logo as you could do it without violating the design specs and making it look uber crammed together with the text
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

JAZCASH wrote:Nice, I wish our school had projects like that :(
I had this course I took that we did things like write a design doc for a video game, make a stop-motion movie, shoot music videos, photoshop an advertising campaign etc... We even got to write up our own study modules if what we wanted to do wasn't available. It was one course and I think it got canceled a few years after I left school... the only thing close would be a Computer Problem Solving course.

I'm still bitter about my highschool experience and I'm 28... is that bad?
AF wrote:Heh now if you can link us to 'TA Spring' that'd be peachy ^_^

Nice covers, though you would be better off using the horizontal version of my logo as you could do it without violating the design specs and making it look uber crammed together with the text
No, I think he got that this project isn't TA Spring... In my mind when people say "TASpring" I just think of all the TA content that has been ported over to spring along with all the players and modders and hackers this project has taken away from the TA community... because while we don't call the project that anymore it is a part of our heritage.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Well I have to admit I'm not too fond of it. While most of what you did turned out nice technically in terms of the content you went a bit too far...

I mean why for gods sake did you put the PEGI icon for sexual content & nudity, discrimination, "scaryness for children" and drug abuse on the cover while not putting the "online game" icon there? I only can think of you wanting to be "funny" but if you did this as a serious attempt for creating a cover that's just a big mistake in your design. Besides the only thing I'd consider as "funny" is the "gamble" sign... :P

Cursing & the 16 years rating might be ok (although 16 may be a bit much) considering a campaign with some cursewords & stuff...

When talking about the rest of the PC cover you really overdid your "post-processing" of the big bottom screenshots. Seriously why did you edit them that way? Especially for the screenshot on the back you destroyed anything showed on the lower half of the pic as you playing around with contrast & brightness made half of that part plain black. In the end you totally overhighlited the parts of the two pics with high contrast / brightness and wasted the rest of the image - it's simply not "beautiful" or nice too look at - you just killed lots of the details the images once had for some exaggerated colors...

Then there is you choosing this theme of those planets & the spacecrafts. To say the truth: Spacecrafts aren't really what TA is about. There may be some mods including something like that so it's not like you created something never shown in this universe but the main idea is about warping commanders around the galaxy and doing some heavy duty ground battles for resources. The same goes for that orbital laser cannon and those "nukes" launching from the moon (which totally don't fit into your picture in terms of proportions)...

Your texts were pretty good although you imo made two mistakes: In the system specs you told of a "DSI" internet connection (a typo) and for an insider your whole part of terraforming making you build bridges & that stuff is a bit off. You certainly could do so (if multiple terraformings weren't forbidden in the meantime) but it wouldn't just be time consuming and ineffective (rendering hovers a bit useless?!) but you keep missing the main intention of ramps & walls and things like that so you better should have told something about forming the ground to serve you right as e.g. fortress or something like that...

Some final comments about that cover would be that I think the DVD-Rom symbol always says "PC-DVD-Rom" for games where the two PC letters are just two white letters as big as the entire DVD-Rom-Logo positioned right above. Then there's that "Tribal" symbol pretty much on the lower end of that icon list - I'm not 100% sure but isn't that Razer too? So why would you have two Razer logos on the box? A big mistake you did was to totally forget about a bar code - that's just a must and a big design flaw. As a sidenote it also would have been nice if you hadn't used some aged screenies from the gallery but some new, maybe even selfmade ones showing some nice fx and things like that. That especially would have made it possible to use like a moon map with black sky so you could have done a screenshot at a rather low angle having some black sky at the top so you don't have this fading away sea & ground changing into space on the main cover but a smooth flow...

There's not much to say about the other two pics you showed. The Core logo imo suffers from something similar to what you did to the two main cover screenshots: You kinda kicked out lots of details in the middle part and that small part below the middle where you have big nearly black areas. You can't really see the logo's shape in those areas and that's bad imo for a logo presentation...
Warl

Post by Warl »

lol why do you take this so serious ? i just wanted to post that to the whole ta community which love that game and i dont wanna sell it ;p.

PC-DVD ist quit right here in ger. look on some dvd covers. pegi infos are ok. Image work, nice to see the eyecatcher should be the planet the logo and the robot bottom left and not the war in the screen.
there is a barcode but not on that picture... only on the print version.
to the planet an space... you know the history of total annihilation ?? its a space game. arm and core were fighting over thousands of planets
and i think they did it also in space!
I think that you are right on the other thinks :) but dont take this tooo serious ;)

the registered one:
are that youre logos ?? :) i like them and they were the best i found on the net.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

Don't worry - I'm not taking it that serious. As I said it's fine from the technical side but in my opinion is has quite some flaws which I listed in my previous post... :-)
pegi infos are ok.
So they indeed were meant as a gag?
to the planet an space... you know the history of total annihilation ?? its a space game. arm and core were fighting over thousands of planets
and i think they did it also in space!
Well as I said there is a bit of a "fanfiction" around doing some battles in space but in its original storyline there is nothing like that or even a real hint for that. They sure did fight on many planets but they did so by building warp gates which would teleport the commander to the desired planet where it can build an army on its own...
knorke

Post by knorke »

lol @ Totaler Krieg! Zerst├Âre die Umwelt! ;)
imo the text formating could be better, stuff like
to-
taler
and
Mitt-
lerweile
just doesnt look so good.

wouldnt the commander be split in half when on a real box? like left side on back and right side on front.

why didnt you take some own screenshots or renders?
shouldnt a cover have something to catch the eye, like a big cool robot or a halfnaked chick? To see the (remaining) details of the screenshots one would have to take the box down from the shelf.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Old, screenshots are very old.
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

When I was your age..

Return to “Art & Modelling”