city map

city map

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

1v0ry_k1ng

city map

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

there must be enough features kicking around by now to make a half decent city map, am i rite? I mention this because a city map would kick a disproportionate amount of ass
Otherside

Re: city map

Post by Otherside »

make this a city map competition thread and watch them roll in :p
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Im not touching features again in the near future.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Haven't both Argh and Smoth made city maps already?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Haven't both Argh and Smoth made city maps already?
They weren't made for BA, so they don't exist.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i could dust off an old project i had kicking but was unable to finish with a mere gig of ram... only used small features, the buildings were in the heightmap and had little ramps and stuff so you could climb up them with bots.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

arghs city maps use world gen and stuff are are incompatible with other mods thanks to stupid speedmetal metal

I havnt seen smoths, but then smoth dosnt tend to release that much content through the spring forums for relatively obvious reasons. has he made any that are both cash and have metal spots compatble with other mods?
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

well he couldnt make another competiton cause he knows we cant get tricked twice
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote: I havnt seen smoths, but then smoth dosnt tend to release that much content through the spring forums for relatively obvious reasons. has he made any that are both cash and have metal spots compatble with other mods?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:arghs city maps use world gen and stuff are are incompatible with other mods thanks to stupid speedmetal metal

I havnt seen smoths, but then smoth dosnt tend to release that much content through the spring forums for relatively obvious reasons. has he made any that are both cash and have metal spots compatble with other mods?
Hm? I thought Argh was planning on pulling the area-metal level down to BA/CA/EE-compatible levels. Either way, you could play them with CA using the Metal Multiplier - does BA have metal multiplier?
smoth

Post by smoth »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:arghs city maps use world gen and stuff are are incompatible with other mods thanks to stupid speedmetal metal

I was working on eastside westside and my current feature work partially revolves around the completion of that map and using urban features. Which lathan had started on but rl(TM) took him from us. I am working on a more generic feature placement solution that works on any mod/game so no worries. Right now it is hard wired into gundam's dev version(not out yet) but will soon become part of that whole map options thing I had made a while back. I have not said much yet about it because honestly I am still working on it but it is moving along and will be generally ready soon enough.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

You should call it BuilderWorld. Or PlanetConstructor. Or GlobeAssembler.
smoth

Post by smoth »

or I'll not be pretentious and just call it feature placer. :P
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

*cough*

gogogo?
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

On an unrelated note, the central building in the front row of the bottom pic looks uncannily like a comms relay (or a power relay, perhaps) from Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (though I'm not entirely sure, could also be OTA or an Earth 21*0 game, or something else).
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

MechCommander 2, perhaps? :lol:
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

FLOZi wrote:MechCommander 2, perhaps? :lol:
Yeah, that. My mind is at times about as trustworthy as a kleptomaniac in a bank vault. :P

On topic, I agree, city maps would be epic awesome. The OTA city tileset contained quite a lot of different features (buildings, statues, fountains, benches, wrecked cars) when viewed in the map editor, but I've never actually played an OTA city map. If those features could be ported to Spring somehow, we'd instantly have an - admittedly not very good-looking, but functional - city feature set.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Wasn't there some commercial restriction to those features? I also want some damaged versions(as in chunks missing) can you do those pl?

I thought about it and maybe I should just say this: Look argh, you made worldbuilder it works for you, it doesn't work for me and other's may not want to fool with it. I didn't like the direction you did took my idea so I am making what I wanted to see. It is that simple.

If you think features suck state real reasons beyond they lack scripts, because I have both features and units in that feature placer. so please enlighten us.

stratega, I planned on doing just that, I have not reposted the shots of what I had as a wip but it was pretty cool I will return to working on that urban stuff but I just have not. So far as they have said only argh and I have really fooled with it. Picassoct had some interesting stuff but it was extremely surreal.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Strategia wrote:If those features could be ported to Spring somehow, we'd instantly have an - admittedly not very good-looking, but functional - city feature set.
They were sprites, just like the trees and rocks and metal spots and most other features in TA. Wrecks were just about the only 3D features.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

smoth wrote:Wasn't there some commercial restriction to those features?
Indeed.

Code: Select all

2. Grant of Rights
(A) Copyright Grant- Subject to the terms of this license, including the license conditions and limitations in section 3, Microsoft grants you a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free copyright license to reproduce the software, prepare derivative works of the software and distribute the software or any derivative works that you create.

Code: Select all

3. Conditions and Limitations
(A) Limitation on Commercial Distribution- Notwithstanding the rights granted in section 2(A) above, you are not granted any rights to commercially distribute any artwork from the software (ÔÇ£Art AssetsÔÇØ) in any derivative work or otherwise. Microsoft grants you a limited, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free copyright license to use, reproduce and distribute the Art Assets on a non-commercial basis only.
Essentially the licence is CC-BY-NC.
smoth wrote:I also want some damaged versions(as in chunks missing) can you do those pl?
There are damaged versions, although from memory there are no intermediate steps between 'full health' and 'almost totally destroyed'

Return to “Map Creation”