Geforce 8800GTS ... broken?

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGo-9Lcu9Tw&fmt=22

Im pretty sure its broken, the errors started to appear at some warm day.

Sometimes it worked fine for hours, even played Spring with it, and then suddenly when i open some website, and it starts loading images, the screen freezes and starts flashing some specific color pixels into different color, and mouse cursor gets some weird dots around it, sometimes i couldnt even move mouse at all, or use the keyboard, num-lock/scroll-lock/caps-lock lights didnt react to my key presses.

Also i noticed that when the harddrive was loading something, it caused more pixel errors on the screen o.O
I was uninstalling some program, and didnt do anything else... i was listening the harddrive sound, and it seemed like it synced with the pixel errors on the screen o.O And then the computer froze when the un-installation was 98% done >_>

Now i installed windows XP on my SSD drive, and removed all my other HDD's, launched XP. and that video is what i got from the first reboot after windows XP was clean installed, internet cable was not plugged in at all in any part of the process + i used legal copy of windows =D

Edit: NOTE: the card is not overheated, its 71 celsius degrees when that happens, and that error can appear with first startup on the day, so it wont be any warmer than 50 degrees etc. The GFX card fan is working fine.
Last edited by TradeMark on 04 Jun 2009, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Spawn_Retard

Re: Geforce 8800GTS ... broken?

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Imo, downloading more RAM could fix it, if you have utorrent, i see downloading it from pirate bay is free, some sites ask you to pay though, so watch out.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

I've had similar problems before.

What you can do:

-Try plugging the cable in the other port on the Video card, and/or in the other port in the monitor if you have one, and if you're using a connector piece (to go from divi>vga or vga>divi) try a diffrent one. (fixed it for me)

-Try a diffrent cable (in both ports)

-Try a diffrent monitor

-Try a diffrent video card with exactly the same hardware to see if the video card is really your problem.

-Buy a new computer :wink:
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Hoi wrote:-Try plugging the cable in the other port on the Video card, and/or in the other port in the monitor if you have one, and if you're using a connector piece (to go from divi>vga or vga>divi) try a diffrent one. (fixed it for me)
Tried, didnt do anything different, monitor has only one slot, im using DVI to DVI.
Hoi wrote:-Try a diffrent cable (in both ports)
Hmm, i doubt that would help, since my screen works fine when not using the GFX card drivers. (+ not sure do i have other cable)
Hoi wrote:-Try a diffrent monitor
As on above, i dont think it would matter. (+ i dont have other monitor)
Hoi wrote:-Try a diffrent video card with exactly the same hardware to see if the video card is really your problem.
I dont have, other card wasnt PCI-E card ... sucks.
Hoi wrote:-Buy a new computer :wink:
Yeah lol
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

try a different PSU?
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

jK wrote:try a different PSU?
i dont have (i have one, but wont support the correct cables for my mobo or GFX card) + current one is 520W and its quite new ... if its broken, then i dont think anything can stay unbroken on this fucking computer, since the last PSU was broken (i think) ... so, if you want to return your shit in manners of warranty, just send them to me and i'll fuck them up in this doomsday machine >_>
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Monitor your voltage droop on the 12v rails under load, if its greater than 0.3V, you might have a problem. Speedfan is a mighty fine utility for this.
Also, try underclocking your gpu and gpuram with rivatuner, to see if it fixes it.
Is the card factory OC'd?
Underclock the fsb if you can.
Run memtes86, just to be sure.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

These symptoms are typical of a dying GPU chip. Two of my ATI cards died like this in the past. Beautiful random colors...
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

had a 6600GT die in a similar way.

nvidias of 8xxx and 9xxx series are known for their extremely low reliability after a year-two of use (except for the mighty 8800gtx).
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

How long these 8800 series warranty is? They told me its 3 years, but i cant believe that =D
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

In many cases, the problem goes away if u disable hardware acceleration :) but I reckon it''s not something you want to do if you have an 8800. Might save your laptop though.
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

TradeMark wrote:How long these 8800 series warranty is? They told me its 3 years, but i cant believe that =D
I doubt it is more than 1 year. Many GPUs have extremely high power consumption (up to 200W) and I'm not very surprised that this affects the lifespan of the product...
Journier

Post by Journier »

zerver wrote:
TradeMark wrote:How long these 8800 series warranty is? They told me its 3 years, but i cant believe that =D
I doubt it is more than 1 year. Many GPUs have extremely high power consumption (up to 200W) and I'm not very surprised that this affects the lifespan of the product...
some manufacturers have lifetime replacement.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I've seen this before, I would suspect the graphics card has sustained damage somehow, however I would be cautious as this could well be motherboard damage.

Of note: when I had this issue, rebooting into ubuntu showed this did not occur under linux
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Spawn_Retard wrote:Imo, downloading more RAM could fix it, if you have utorrent, i see downloading it from pirate bay is free, some sites ask you to pay though, so watch out.
Uh what? That makes no sense, you can't simply download RAM lol.

To the OP - Does it happen on other games?
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

It's a troll post lol, he wanted it to not make sense.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

my firefox has integrated troll filter
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

If you absolutely believe it's dead, you can try the oven trick and see if it fixes itself.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

thats actually how it broke...

joke
zerver
Spring Developer

Post by zerver »

*** do not use microwave oven ***

Return to “General Discussion”