New faction idea, DRM - Page 2

New faction idea, DRM

Moderator: Content Developer

Sertse

Re: New faction idea, DRM

Post by Sertse »

Mixing the two things together, I could see how "humans" could exist in the KP universe by being a spell-based faction. The analogy is the the "user" is messing with the game directly "from above", the spells being the various commands the user executes, as opposed to playing "inside" the game as like the other factions.

Anyways it's straying to my own ideas about factions (which one wants to hear ;)) so I'll just leave that it.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

TBH I just slapped the DRM name on there because I really couldn't think of anything. I had the gameplay ideas nailed down but couldn't fit it into the theme.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Now I have a fairly precise idea of a DRM faction that would fit KP. It has pretty much nothing in common with KDR_11k initial idea. By the way, the concept of daemonic faction harvesting souls, conjuring powerful avatars with a psy-soul-death-resource, worshipping elder gods, etc... would fit better with the fluff of Cuberor's Finest than Kernel Panic.

DRM:

- Rootkit (homebase): Make it look anchored.

- Protection (spam): Looks like a tadpole, with the head made of two tetrahedrons, spinning along z, (plus along x when moving). The idea is that the ever-moving tips looks like legs it walks on, like tendrils it feels the air with. Stubby but possibly flexible tail, that it could use to push on ground to propel itself forward, if enough time to script that. No attack only kamikaze. Leave traces if hp>50 when dying.

- Trusted Code (tank): Looks like a ball of spinning rings, each ring being a team colored tore inside a face-inverted black colored tore. Or other way around for colors. Fire small range heavily arched splashing shots, setting stuff on fire for a couple seconds. Or maybe just a non d.o.t. flamer. Secondary fire is: Gather lingering remnants, and then throw fresh protections. Have it glow pink inside when enough remains around to fire secondary.

- Signature (arty): Low profile and elongated. Maybe three flattened tube, or rather two thin boards and one cylinder. The middle tilt and becomes gun. Current concept maybe too close from pointer, maybe make it look more like old TV antennas by cutting through the sides. Primary: Multiple warhead, wobbling missile travelling parrallel. Secondary fire is the watermark, blue splash that make units in radius, and descendants, visible for 120 seconds.

- Installer(/Autorun): Minifac: Facetted like shards of irregular precious stone, low, like scales from the ground.

- SafeCopy: special, prevent unit creations, (or for homebase, halve buildpower), in a large area possibly related to furthest closest distance between geo, that is displayed with a large ground decal when choosing where to fire (and also after). Can also triggers "Cease and Desist", which makes hailfire drop randomly all over the map. Have it have same density, higher shot count per seconds, on large map. Have two kind of shots, one large area, low damage (wipe spams but doesn't hurt much the rest), another focused, high power (rarely touch spam, hit buildings hard). So that it kills spams and buildings, but mediums not so much. Maybe even make the high powered ones directly target geo or buildings). Possibly have C&D be a second special building, or a power of something else (rootkit?, installer?). Actually, yah, make C&D be a special power of minifacs. But when one is triggered, all trigger, and stop making protection and the more installers the denser the hailfire.

Even if I know see them clearly enough that I'd wish to start making them asap, I know that even for KP simple look and short buildtree, modelling, uv-mapping, texturing, scripting, TDF'ing, arming, five new units from scratch would take more time than I could find. I hate you all, for posting in that topic to the point of making me daydream about a race stacking up in my collection of modding stuff I regret not having enough lives to make real. And also for making me feel humiliated from posting crappy doodles:

Regret

Post by Regret »

DO EEEEET FGT
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

So, boiling it down:
Kamikaze swarmers.
Tank doubles as resurrection.
Artillery plants spies as special power.
Superweapon disables construction.
Second superweapon causes global damage.

One thing I'm noticing - the tank should be anti-armor/anti-building. The artillery you've got is antiswarm, and so are the swarmers - there will be heavy reliance on the tank for taking down Bytes and structures.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

The swarm would be anti building actually. Select a group of swarmer, make them ram the building till it explode. Then later rez them so they can do it again.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Oh? I just assumed because kamikaze weapons usually have substantial blast radius, making them better riot-weapons than anti-armor. I had a faction in mind that's very similar - kamikaze units and a resurrection theme, and I had that assumption in mind.
exdeath

Post by exdeath »

one idea:

why not make the watermark, the special structure.
This structure would work in that way: When a enemy unit get near the radius of that structure the enemy will be visible an amount of seconds.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

What about a structure that took control of an enemy building but didnt tell the enemy. The enemy uses that building as normal and perhaps builds an army with it, and anything ti builds is also under this 'pseudo control'.

Then at one point in the future, a switch turns, and selected units under this pseudo control show their true colours and defect and start attacking.

Its like seeing that half your army is actually tainted and was just pretending to do your bidding.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

To me that sounds like something the Trojan or Worm should be doing. Hm, especially the Worm could be good for that, maybe allow it to infect buildings, as long as the worm is alive all units made by that building are infected and once the worm dies all infected units (not the building though) instantly turn into viruses... Maybe even let viruses and Obelisks apply a time limited infection to buildings that triggers the conversion once it expires...

That would probably make the Obelisk more useful and allow some nasty sneak attacks with the Worm. For the network the rule should probably be that anything teleported in from that building is infected and worms can infect connections too. Obviously the infection will only really do much if the Worm can get away without dying.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Because the worm is cloaked and that's such a powerful action (it intantly renders the whole minifac worthless), I'd think that the Worm should be sacrificed to do that spell.

Either way, though, the Hacker units are already overcomplicated. I don't think they need any more doodads.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The Worm has to get out of there alive, it was designed to die during attacks so that wouldn't be easy. But yeah, more stuff isn't needed.
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

I GOT IT! The DRM would be based on rouge anti-spyware.

the names of the units would sound safe, but their weapons are more sinister.

the spam units would be slow but powerfull, like the anti-virus it's immitating;

the medium units would be fast, and have a sheild ability similar to ons, except their linked to eachother;

the expensive units would represent it's true nature. it would be able to make it's own units (like the hacker's virus, but different) at a fast rate. these units would have 100hp, but would be made like rain. however, this expensive unit would cost alot of time, and has weak firepower itself. since this unit represents the rouge's true evil, it should look alot like a digitized demon.

the special building would have a cool ability too, I just can't think of it.

the whole 'harvesting souls' thing could just mean that in addition to the benefits you get in souls mode, you could build things faster.

this came to me just now: perhaps they could have a mega-unit. something thats powerfull (and can only have one on field at a time) and large and generally awesome looking. instead of being deceptive like the cheaper units, it's name and appearance would tell you of it's true nature. it would look extremely demonic, and would have attack powers that look red and firey (does not always deal fire damage though) and it would be twice the size of a byte. I call it... the rouge daemon.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

ROGUE
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

moulin rogue
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

sigh... yes, peet. we all know that that word is commonly misspelled. if you're going to correct me at least post something meaningfull as well.
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

i like this idea!

I think that when it comes to sounds, that the units should sound like L.O.G. from Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. He has this whole digitized warble-y kind of voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsvIs8v ... -main-area

here is a link to a video with him speaking, go to 4:30 or so in the video. If you have never played the game before, you might want to watch the whole video or it wont make sense...
Logabob

Post by Logabob »

whatever is ultimately done, I think it would be best to cap the "official" number of factions at 4. Any more than that would be too much.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Logabob wrote:whatever is ultimately done, I think it would be best to cap the "official" number of factions at 4. Any more than that would be too much.
how so? The game itself is very simple. Adding more beautifully, consistently styled and creatively designed factions would give players a fun selection of options to explore.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Well, very few games with more than two factions even approximate balance. Each side restarts the balance process. Each side raises the barrier to new players approaching competence by a significant amount of time, even given relative balance. Each side added puts a new creative burden on the developers.

I suppose it is a legitimate concern, the request isn't unprecedented. I don't agree with it, I think as many sides as creativity permits can be included though I doubt too many more will be added.

Return to “Kernel Panic”