Modify Soundsupport

Modify Soundsupport

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Caradhras

Modify Soundsupport

Post by Caradhras »

Hi

I think the current sound system lacks something.

Currently, you only hear action-based sounds, so if you click something, the unit or building sound is played, but if no units shoots or is clicked at, the battlefield is

completely silent!

So, is it possible to assign a sound source source to every unit or building that should emit noise. Im thinking of humming metalmakers or roaring mexes as background sounds.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Modify Soundsupport

Post by zwzsg »

Wasn't that already implemented in CA?
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

sorry, i dont play ca.

i presume they hacked the feature in lua?
Hacked

Post by Hacked »

"sorry, i dont play ca."

=D
same, i think some ambient noise like wind after zooming out enough (or based on wind levels) might add some atmosphere
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Actually, the Lua generated sounds in CA seem to be broekn for me in the latest release:

http://springrts.com/mantis/view.php?id=1407
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Caradhras wrote:sorry, i dont play ca.
If CA has it it means it doesn't require an engine change. Go bug the maintainers of the mod you play.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Caradhras wrote:Hi

I think the current sound system lacks something.

Currently, you only hear action-based sounds, so if you click something, the unit or building sound is played, but if no units shoots or is clicked at, the battlefield is

completely silent!

So, is it possible to assign a sound source source to every unit or building that should emit noise. Im thinking of humming metalmakers or roaring mexes as background sounds.
Yeeeah, already possible... Not a feature request, because we've already got it. Bug your favorite mod's/game's maintainer or developer about it.
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

Well, I think it belongs into the engine, where the rest of the sound code already is.

The reason why I dont play CA is the great amount of lua hacks and features who rape my old pc.
The old fashioned XTA game does not do that. :-)
knorke

Post by knorke »

humming metalmakers
i remember the sounds when they turned on/off.
DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE WRAGBML!
oh yeah.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Caradhras wrote:Well, I think it belongs into the engine, where the rest of the sound code already is.
The sound are data, they do not belong to the engine. Just like textures, models are current sounds are not in spring.exe, but in the mod sdz and sd7. The sound code, however, is already in the engine.

How do you expect the engine to guess what a Yatioa, a Gouf or a Sd.Kfz. 250/9 SPW sound like, without any clue from the mod, by the way?
Caradhras wrote:great amount of lua hacks
If you prefer, bos/cob can also play-sound.
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

well, i meant the possible need of changing some soundcode.

Its quite obvious that you need new soundfiles which sound good played in a loop. :wink:
So my feature request implied some kind of question:
Does the engine allow it to assign a continuous sound source to eg every metalmaker and send it through the 3D sound algorithms so, metalmakers that are far away are not so loud than ones directly in front of the camera? (Just like explosion sounds eg)

(Without performance hit)

Edit:
Another example:
Planes that pass the camera could have some sweet engine sound with the cool new doppler effects introduced in 0.79.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

There is no performance hit in looping a sound to play while something is activated or killing the loop when it's deactivated. Nearly every single unit in my game (released in a hardly known and hardly completed alpha form, for those of you who don't know) has a looping sound that plays when it's moving or activated. We don't need to touch anything else, bos/cob work fine for this sort of thing.

Edit: Seriously.

Sounds when the units are moving, reloading sounds for the tower that fires at them. No lua.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Upcoming Sa release will have dynamic music.
Annoying humming metal sounds will get annying real fast.
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

Well, i dont think just looping the sounds does do the trick.

In the video it was not clear to me if the engine sounds go through the 3D sound system, does it? I mean, do they get louder if you approach the unit with the camera? Do you hear the dopper effect if they pass the camera? etc etc

And im sorry, but the sounds in the video sound shitty. Can anyone give me 400Ôé¼, so i can buy me a netbook? Then I could run around and record sound samples :lol:
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Well, of course it's kinda crappy, what else could you expect from someone like me? I'm pretty sure the sounds are put through the sound system, though I'm not sure if they survived me moving the camera around for better angles and being put into a youtube video.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Without reading all the above, I hate the new sound thingy where you zoom in and the sounds from that area become louder. I liked it how it was, how can I get it back to how it was plzzzz ;-;
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

Im sure there is a possibility to create a button that switches things off.

But meh, Springs sounds like a 10 years old game.
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Caradhras wrote:But meh, BA sounds like a 10 years old game.
Fix'd.
Caradhras

Post by Caradhras »

Auswaschbar wrote:
Caradhras wrote:But meh, BA sounds like a 10 years old game.
Fix'd.
But on the other hand not every mod is on par with CA (technically)
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

JAZCASH wrote:Without reading all the above, I hate the new sound thingy where you zoom in and the sounds from that area become louder. I liked it how it was, how can I get it back to how it was plzzzz ;-;
I love how the new sound is so stereo!

Return to “Feature Requests”