Requests! - Page 2

Requests!

A dynamic game undergoing constant development and refinement, that attempts to balance playability with fresh and innovative features.

Moderator: Content Developer

CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: Requests!

Post by CarRepairer »

Pxtl wrote:I'm tempted to whip up a key-configger program (my C++ is too rusty to contribute to SpringLobby).
Don't make the same mistakes I did... http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 56#p346856
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

CarRepairer wrote:
manolo_ wrote:cut some widgets out (my ingame widget list in ca is a way tooooooo long)
IceUI has a wonderful widget list that sorts the list by categories (and the list is resizeable of course). If IceUI hurts your FPS, request someone make a standalone widget list override.
look at the pic, i my opinion its a way too much
Attachments
screen001.jpg
(200.17 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

manolo_ wrote:look at the pic, i my opinion its a way too much
Press F11, then ctrl+F11, and you can resize the widgetlist window.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

I miss the machine noises from OTA. The so terribly cheesy it almost sounds intentionally horrible one-liners I keep getting from my units are making me grind my teeth. I have to play with the sound off now, but miss all the projectile noises.

Is there an option to turn off unit vocals? If not, I suggest there should be one. I also suggest a shift back to the simply machine noises (or you hire 100 professional voice actors to do the units), but the "homemade" ones are really distracting.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

El Idiot wrote:I miss the machine noises from OTA. The so terribly cheesy it almost sounds intentionally horrible one-liners I keep getting from my units are making me grind my teeth.
Press F11, turn off voices, turn on noises. I play with both of them on.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

Please tell me the current ones are just fillers.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

I and many others enjoy them. According to the poll they weren't so unpopular.

What sound settings are you using?
Voices (default unit talking) 69
Noises (robot-like sounds) 150
Both voices and noises 31
Silence 41
Not playing CA 58
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I love the Logos ones, I think they're just overused.

I mean, the quality of some of them are wonderful. The first time I heard the "Your death was inevitable, but now it is also imminent" it was awesome. The twelfth time? Not so much.

And some are weaker than others. "There is no death.... only termination" bugs me for no apparent reason.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

It really needs per-unit voices.

Problem with voices is: if there's one thing this community has even fewer of than texturers, it's voice actors. :<
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Well, you can still use my Solar joke voices. I might make a few specific sets and release under PD or CC-NC-SA.

However, I believe passive audible interaction between units would be much more interesting, if more complex. Saktoth and I talked about it a few times... where the units talk to each other and hold conversations independent of commands but dependent on action and proximity to other units. A dream, perhaps, but still a laudable one.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Im against voices in principle, they engage the speech part of the brain to processing, which makes them more obnoxious, reptative sounding, and attracts more attention. They are also longer, so if you have high APM they overlap and create a terrible racket.

Perhaps its just me, but i find music with lyrics can make it harder to concerntrate while music without is fine. Its the speech centres of my brain detracting from my CPU power.

We should use that 'spoken noises' pack that came out a while ago. That was so cool and dumb.

Really though, the major reason voices are in game and the default is because the noises are OTA so they need to go eventually.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

There should be units that can only be obtain through upgrading.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Super Mario wrote:There should be units that can only be obtain through upgrading.
Golden Morty?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Super Mario wrote:There should be units that can only be obtain through upgrading.
You mean like the Kettle and the Golden Morty?

edit: nm, just saw somebody else voice that.

As for voices, I'd think less "per unit" than "per vague category".

I mean, fixed structures other than major defenses and factories don't need voices. Constructors need constructor-specific comments. Tactical support units (anti-air, radar, etc) need a different set of voices. Then simply split the combat units up by size - reserve the ultimate-badass comments for the larger units.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Pxtl wrote:
You mean like the Kettle and the Golden Morty?
Exactly, there should be more upgrades for the sea units and land units when they turn into a unit that can be only optain though upgrading. That and the fact that units should get stronger when they upgrade, but instead they turn into another unit with totally different unit specification. If a unit that specializes something they should be stronger in that specialization. That my 2 cents on it.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Well, I personally like that units can upgrade into something completely different. I think it's useful. When you're using lab X and you've the opportunity to morph into a unit from lab Y, that's added value.

Plus, for cheap units, the expensive versions usually are _better_ per-unit than their simpler predecessors at the same job.

Look at it this way - a Pyro is a heavily specialized unit, and if I had to choose between pyros and AKs for raw speed in raiding, I'd pick AKs. However, if I had to choose between 1 Pyro or 1 AK for a raid, I'd want the Pyro every time, because the Pyro, though slower and less cost-effective for that job, is a more powerful unit. Plus it has the flame and the jump-jet. So of course I want my AK to morph into a Pyro, even if the Pyro is more than simply a super-AK.

See how it works?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Why not just give the choosing of the upgrade to the player when it comes to each different kind of upgrade? I just want my units to be stronger so I can deliver stronger damage to my enemy.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

Im against EXP exclusive morphing this is a rts about robots not a RPG/RTS plus it adds more stuff to model/texture and its hard enough to make CA IP free as is.(i also want HP gain from exp to be stopped as it causes balance problems especially at the lower end of the cost spectrum with stuff like llt's)

The voice are a huge problem imo and i was adamant they should have never been put on as default (polls show noises > voices) Noises in general fit in. But the voices are random and the robots seem to have sex changes everytime you click on them (for arm) + it the same soundset for every unit. It doesnt add anything to CA and it makes CA look cheap and shoddy because of the lack of variation and general implentation of the voices. At least with noises they are just sounds they make sense and it doesnt really feel out of place.

Requests
- Scrap EXP hp gain (and probably morphing via exp to)
- Scrap voices (or remove them for default) because they suck (untill someone makes some decent voices that dont feel out of place but even then imo noises would be better)
- Remove areamex widget it does more harm than good
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Otherside wrote: Requests
- Scrap EXP hp gain
This was actually just done
Otherside wrote: (and probably morphing via exp to)
Pxtl wrote: Well, I personally like that units can upgrade into something completely different. I think it's useful. When you're using lab X and you've the opportunity to morph into a unit from lab Y, that's added value.
I'm with Pxtl on this

Return to “Zero-K”