Gota

.:RoughShores:. - new map,now V6

Post by Gota »

A simple 16x16 7 way ffa.
Made for CarRepairer.

V6
Water lowered.

http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=2058

Last edited by Gota on 29 May 2009, 23:41, edited 7 times in total.
Pressure Line

Re: .:RoughShores:. - new map

Post by Pressure Line »

As I said in the lobby. Its a bit bland yo.
Gota

Post by Gota »

As i replied:"I was asked to make an FFA for 7 people that resembles "The Hunters"".
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

You mean like this? http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=701
Also, I see no metal patches, and please blend the waterplanecolor with water like hunterw showed us.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Ah shit forgot about patches will add them tomorrow so tired i didnt notice.
plane thing?eh..maybe.
Last edited by Gota on 16 May 2009, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Beherith wrote:You mean like this? http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=701
Also, I see no metal patches, and please blend the waterplanecolor with water like hunterw showed us.
Yes i was asked ot make a map similair to that one.
knorke

Post by knorke »

if you want to keep it simple try adding large patches of different ground like sand, black stone, grass or brown map.
even if its not done perfectly it would add alot.
also the island = win gg
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

I like the layout, now work on the texure (and features!) :-)
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

How is this supposed to be different from TheHunters ? Except one separate island, which in my opinion breaks up the concept akwardly...

I think your "remake" of the concept doesn't add anything to the original idea, only breaks it... I'd suggest to use the original heightmap and redo the texture or something...
Gota

Post by Gota »

Sigh,I dont care how it looks as long as its bearable to look at.
I didn't make it exactly like hunters cause...guess what we already have a map called the hunters,so why would i make a duplicate.
I made the map a bit more chaotic on purpose.
I enjoy maps that look like they are just a small part of a greater piece of land and not a complete miniworld.
I think it looks more natural that way.
The separate island is on purpose to make the map more interesting so that not everyone starts with the exact same conditions.
The dynamics on it will be completely different than "The Hunters" and each starting position will be different to play on.
I will rerelease it with mex spots of course...I was just so tired yesterday i didn't notice it.
And there wont be any features.
Gota

Post by Gota »

knorke

Re: .:RoughShores:. - new map,now V2

Post by knorke »

bumpy seaground sucks!
and where you can enter water is too random for my liking.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

As much as i dislike you as a human being Basic i shant be so damning as everyone else of your fruits. It looks like a decent map. FFA is imbalanced by definition, so having the spots vary slightly is a fine dynamic and probably makes things more interesting, as long as no one spot has a totally clear advantage. The island map may be the easiest to defend but it is also the hardest to expand from, is more hemmed in, farthest from the middle and has 1 less mex.

It would nice to have a couple of hills here and there for bots, and it would also be nice if the beaches were clearly demarkated into hover passable beaches and impassable cliffs, rather than the almost-totally-passable hunters or a totally impassable sea. It would also be nice if the water were more connected, perhaps into 2-4 larger seas, linked by shallows to preserve the continuity of the land. This would change the gameplay (ships are not really viable in hunters) but, i think, mostly for the better.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

SirArtturi wrote:I think your "remake" of the concept doesn't add anything to the original idea, only breaks it...
I asked him to make a map like hunters for 7 people, simply for the fact that there are not any 7way FFA maps and hunters is already a great map. We do not always have, or want to wait for, an 8th player. That's pretty much the entire reasoning.

This map is close to what I wanted, but not quite - due to the imbalance of it and the isolated island which forces the player who starts there to use air or hovers. It could be improved however. If he wants me to help him with any more lua he will do so :P

And it is nicer to look at than hunters so it's a step up in that regard.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

*Too plain
*Not enough range in Height levels
*Unbalanced
*Only one texture applied to the whole map, if there's one for water, it's obviously unimportant.

I understand it's a remake, but you could at least add some stuff to make it better than the original.

For example, Beh's remake of BB had new features, completely new texture, new heightmap, new mexes etc. It was a solid reason to play the remake instead of the original.

If you add some new stuff, make a new texture and spice it up a bit, people would actually prefer to play the remake. Atm, I really couldn't care less which version I played as they are both so similar.

Don't be afraid to experiment, it doesn't have to be solidly based upon the original as long as it has the same play style and feel. Just use the original as a base and work from there if you have to.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Sigh....
Well,first of all,kcuf all of you uninspired unoriginal people..
This is like telling a good joke to a bad crowed...

second of all..
To those who got it...
I will make another version to correct minor issues like shores,hover things and maybe bottom of sea..or ill just make it so that its clear where you can and where you cant build under water.

This map was meant to be played like hunters..If i was to do it exactly like ordered it would be hunters with one less area..
I thought id flare it up by making the territories and starting conditions different but still balanced if you don't get it you suck and it's your problem.
If someone wants to say one of the areas is somehow clearly unbalanced than that's bullshit cause it isn't true.

Since CAR wants a duplicate of hunters with only 7 area(i can't see why someone would want the exact same map)I will make another map.

As to All of Jazcash's shit remarks all i have to say is this...
ALL the most played maps are ugly and have simple textures.
Why do you think The original BB is still played and not behe's version?because of the nice but MESSY texture.
Its so detailed its hard to see units on it.
Get over visuals...It's easier to spot units on simple textures and it's just easier to look it.

By the way Saktoth don't presume you know me.
And eh..
Maybe for the next k revisions of CA you can name one of the factions Saktoth cause clearly the krog is not enough for your overblown ego.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

Unplayable, because I cannot look at this map without falling asleep or committing suicide out of sheer boredom.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Gota wrote: I thought id flare it up by making the territories and starting conditions different but still balanced if you don't get it you suck and it's your problem.
If someone wants to say one of the areas is somehow clearly unbalanced than that's bullshit cause it isn't true.
I think nobody is claiming that some area is clearly unbalanced. But it's clear that some areas are "geographically" in better position according to other players. Let me demonstrate this argument:

In NE corner two areas are connected with a landbridge... That most likely will drive the players on those two area to fight against each other.

What will follow this is, that the player in NORTH is facing only one opponent which is NW while NW, SW and SOUTH are facing two opponents...

In addition to this, one guy in the island is able to porc his eco and go hovers and by no actual resistance, is free to decide whether to drill his shitty hovers to, either SOUTH or EAST player's ass!

Well, This kind of setup indeed creates interesting battles, but the big question is, that is it fair? I myself would have to think twice before running into such game...

Second, You seem to have weird belief that everything natural = "RANDOM" Your map is full of puddles and small, tiny lakes everywhere like they would have been randomly, naturally placed to the layout. There's also annoying small islands and land ridges on the shores that doesn't actually make it any more natural. More over they break the gameplay.

Dude... You are making a map for a game, It isn't supposed to be natural!

couple screens to demonstrate:
screen286.jpg
(117.6 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
screen287.jpg
(189.04 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
I could argue this issue; wheter this kind of map is needed or not so long, but I guess its irrelevant, because you guys seem to enjoy this...
Gota wrote: ALL the most played maps are ugly and have simple textures.
Why do you think The original BB is still played and not behe's version?because of the nice but MESSY texture.
Its so detailed its hard to see units on it.
I'll answer to this... It's because spring players are retarded! Behe's remake texture isn't messy, what is messy is the player's heads. They want to stick with shitty looks and simple solutions. They are lazy to dl anything new. They don't play 1v1. They like to argue, complain and point out negative things and their attitude is conservative (including myself :>)

I would play behe's remake instead of the old one, but the problem is that no one else isn't.
Gota wrote: Get over visuals...It's easier to spot units on simple textures and it's just easier to look it.
Nowadays gaming industry(what the most of the player count is following at) doesn't follow this pattern, so why are you seeing problem with visuals ?
Gota

Post by Gota »

Retarded post = retarded.
Have you even played the map yourself?Obviously not.
The 2 connected islands have more metal.
V2 of the map also has the mexes that are between the 2 areas places in such a way so that both players can build mexes and have a defensive line without being completely forces to engage.

I like when maps look a bit chaotic yes.
About the hovers...I will fix edges of islands and buttom.

Yes the map is full of puddles so what?It makes it feel like it was not made by someone in photoshop.

And yes,Behe's BB does look messy and it is harder to spot units on it just like on other maps where he used that texture.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Gota wrote:Retarded post = retarded.
Have you even played the map yourself?Obviously not.
The 2 connected islands have more metal.
V2 of the map also has the mexes that are between the 2 areas places in such a way so that both players can build mexes and have a defensive line without being completely forces to engage.
Are you saying that my post is retarded ?
I'm pointing out well argued criticism. What makes it retarded ?
I think your reply is retarded because it totally missess the point. Metal layout doesn't wipe away the fact that NORTH player faces only one opponent...
The common thread here is that your "naturally" chaotic concept creates unfair set ups...
Well in my eyes it creates imba gameplay where one player has possibilities to make strategical choices what im not able to do.

Now tell me what makes this argument retarded ?
Gota wrote:I like when maps look a bit chaotic yes.
About the hovers...I will fix edges of islands and buttom.

Yes the map is full of puddles so what?It makes it feel like it was not made by someone in photoshop.
Basic my friend, read what I'm saying and concentrate on that. You are repeating yourself while missing the point yet again. Your puddles(which in my opinion looks like made in photoshop with point brush) doesn't make it look more "natural" than in your scale; comparison with "artificially" made landscape . Seems like in your eyes; land without puddles or shores with no puddles and weird land ridges are "unnatural" ?

You "overdo" your naturality here and break up the gameplay!
Please, Let me repeat myself:
SirArtturi wrote:Dude... You are making a map for a game, It isn't supposed to be natural!

Return to “Map Releases”