P.U.R.E. has gone Commercial. - Page 6

P.U.R.E. has gone Commercial.

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

el_matarife

Re: P.U.R.E. is going Commercial.

Post by el_matarife »

Argh wrote:Well, he's basically right, assuming that he deals with the ATi issues. I wish I could help with that, but I probably can't.
jk's still using an AGP motherboard which severely limits his graphics card choices. If you want to help with LUPS support for ATI, use a few hundred dollars of that "Going commercial" money to buy him a PCIExpress based system and an ATI card to play with.
Argh

Post by Argh »

That sounds like a reasonable investment, the minute I have the means.

BTW, I guess I should clarify. May 15th was our projected release date. We delivered Gold for QA this morning.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Argh, do me a favor and contact steamworks and try to get it on steam, they do a lot with indie titles.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Argh wrote:That sounds like a reasonable investment, the minute I have the means.

BTW, I guess I should clarify. May 15th was our projected release date. We delivered Gold for QA this morning.
That reminds me that I need to write up a proposal to slap Google ads all over the Spring site to raise some development funds. I want to ensure that people working on Spring have Mac test systems, as well as systems based on ATI and nVidia to make sure all this stuff works no matter what OS or video card you have on your system.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Good luck with PURE, Argh!

I wouldnt mind ads if the proceeds went to the devs/improving spring.
Argh

Post by Argh »

That reminds me that I need to write up a proposal to slap Google ads all over the Spring site to raise some development funds.
I'm pretty sure it would annoy people, but no worse than it annoyed people to see Community News, which has been a very successful thing. And the aggregate hits would certainly pay for a few things around here.

And now that Spring's no longer redistributing OTA stuff, it's legally safe to take in funding from various sources.

Personally, I think it's really shabby, that practically everything on the core side involves people paying out-of-pocket costs, though. We should figure out a better way, so that at the very least, Spring offsets its costs every month, as a technological object that must be maintained. I don't think donations are the answer, though. It needs steadier income.

I've been so poor that I have not been able to help, but I'd like to, as soon as I am able, assuming that the game's sales aren't an utter disaster.
Argh, do me a favor and contact steamworks and try to get it on steam
We've contacted them, trust me. Along with everybody else in the digital distribution business. We didn't just pull Stardock out of a hat.

Stardock just got things done first. Their Director of Publishing has been incredibly nice and helpful- well beyond, "it's my job". Everybody else has either been a lot slower, or still hasn't answered my initial attempts to contact them. Pretty much all I have to say about that.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

el_matarife wrote:
Argh wrote:Well, he's basically right, assuming that he deals with the ATi issues. I wish I could help with that, but I probably can't.
jk's still using an AGP motherboard which severely limits his graphics card choices. If you want to help with LUPS support for ATI, use a few hundred dollars of that "Going commercial" money to buy him a PCIExpress based system and an ATI card to play with.
I got an ATI 3650 AGP for 70Ôé¼. ATI makes more for AGP than NVidia.
Argh

Post by Argh »

We're official. The Demo will be made available soon. The initial version of the Demo will be compatible with the commercial version. It probably will stay that way for the first two weeks. I'm trying a bit of an experiment there.

Source code is available here. This is all of the core Lua / COB / CEG / Etc., all of World Builder, my current work on Space Chickens (not completely polished, alas) etc., etc.- everything you need to build the game, other than the content. All of this is licensed GPL, and I'll be making it available on the website as soon as I've had a chance to get that all set up- juggling chainsaws over here, it'll be a couple of hours. The current website is just a placeholder, something nicer is coming soon.

We're planning another big update, in about 2 weeks. Less, if Spring gets updated sooner than we'd planned. First target is to have a complete single-player campaign for Overmind, with enough new World Builder maps and content to support that.

Secondary targets include a lot of new World Builder content, more use of LUPS, which I'll continue to release source for as I build more of the modular stuff I've been talking about, and perhaps I'll get enough of the normalmap / depthmap stuff done to take advantage of that feature of the next major release of Spring.

That last goal probably won't happen until the second update cycle, though. Just an issue of time available.

Oh... and lastly... I'm going to be opening up our official Forums soon. I will posting a lot of useful information there, and that's where you'll want to go, if you want to get the latest source of the game, or participate in tech projects. I will probably be curtailing my involvement around here, mainly because I hate how negative this place is all the time.

I've had enough of it after four years... and I'd like to do something different. I've been in Forums where people were nice to each other, it's a lot more productive... and I'm going to build a community like that if I can find enough audience.

I don't really expect anybody from here to come visit, but you're welcome to if you'd like to become part of something more positive.
Last edited by Argh on 15 May 2009, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: P.U.R.E. has gone Commercial.

Post by zwzsg »

Whoah, you even went for the same price as 6 monthes old top commercial RTS!

I would have been curious to see what you have for campaign, too bad I can't test because you've just gone commercial. :P

Keep us informed on how it goes (like in a month, then in a year), I wonder how this venture will turn out.
Argh

Post by Argh »

I'm sure we won't get rich, but meh, that was never the goal. The goal was to get it done for once, instead of just dreaming about it. Just getting this far was really hard. Hopefully it will open doors for me to do other things in the future.

Sweet. We just sold our first copy... now I just have to work my ass off, making sure that people feel like they've gotten something worth buying.
lurker

Post by lurker »

EULA wrote:However, you may not distribute, upload or republish this Content n any format that modifies any part of the P.U.R.E. installation as designed by the Developer.
Haha, yeah right, like that's enforceable.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Well, at least they didn't forget the IXth point.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Actually, sections I, II and III cover the main things. They should be enforceable.

IX was put into the EULA mainly to make it clear that I wasn't trying to stop people from redistributing the source code or in any way restricting their rights to use the rest of it under the GPL.

I don't really care if some court finds that one sentence difficult to understand, basically. My goal is simply to avoid having anybody question my intent, after all, which is to freely share anything I've willingly put under GPL.
Last edited by Argh on 16 May 2009, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
aegis

Post by aegis »

# GeForce 9800 or Newer 3D Video Card
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yup, that's about right, tbh.

It's pretty performance intensive graphically, and it's going to get moreso, once normalmap stuff is in. Just how it is. I can run it and play it on a 7800, but that's at the bottom of the foodchain. Most people who can afford to spend money on obscure indie RTS games can probably afford a decent rig anyhow.
lurker

Post by lurker »

(iii) is no resale. You think you can get away with that?
aegis

Post by aegis »

can you resell steam games, lurker?
Argh

Post by Argh »

(iii) is no resale. You think you can get away with that?
It's standard EULA language, and has been found to be enforceable in the past. Like the vast majority of the EULA.

You're not buying my content, you're buying the limited rights to use it.
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Well, this is going to be a good example if you can or cannot make money on a GPL game engine. Glad to see you releasing all of the sources, good luck again, I will definitely track the progress of the project :) (although never buy it myself, sadly)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

So, all the code is released under GPL, and most of the content, at least model/texture/sound wise is released free in the demo.

Hey guys, I have an idea for a new game, called IMPURE, shouldn't take long to finish, anyone interested? 8)

Return to “Argh's Projects”