new star trek film - Page 2

new star trek film

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

jK
Spring Developer

Re: new star trek film

Post by jK »

the new star trek is a nice `film`

BUT it is one of the worst in the star trek series. Even that non-trekkies like it is just a warning. So the whole movie just builds upon aggression and violence, and has nothing to do with the pacifistic ideology of star trek anymore, which becomes the most visible at the end of the movie when they shoot on the ALREADY DESTROYED and defenseless enemy ship!

Seems the new producers just think the people want such savage stuff in the current world situation :cry:
TheBigPK

Post by TheBigPK »

lol ok ok watched it again. I kind of agree with jK, but I really think they did it just how they should have; people that don't like star trek love it and trek fans are going to at least watch it. I mean, it could have been another Nemesis failure, so. I left wanting more old school but meh, it could have been worse.

hahaha nimoy says we're dickheads
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

What I want to know is why it's taken them THIS long to do point defence systems in trek...

B5 had it long ago, and that's no where near as CGI advanced as trek got even before this film.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

TheBigPK wrote:lol ok ok watched it again. I kind of agree with jK, but I really think they did it just how they should have; people that don't like star trek love it and trek fans are going to at least watch it. I mean, it could have been another Nemesis failure, so. I left wanting more old school but meh, it could have been worse.

hahaha nimoy says we're dickheads

US only media on international forums == epic fail
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

TheBigPK

Post by TheBigPK »

i couldnt find it on youtube =/, it's nimoy, pine, and quinto on saturday night live.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

jK wrote:the new star trek is a nice `film`

BUT it is one of the worst in the star trek series. Even that non-trekkies like it is just a warning. So the whole movie just builds upon aggression and violence, and has nothing to do with the pacifistic ideology of star trek anymore, which becomes the most visible at the end of the movie when they shoot on the ALREADY DESTROYED and defenseless enemy ship!

Seems the new producers just think the people want such savage stuff in the current world situation :cry:
TOS was always more aggressive than TNG and onwards, reflecting the political situation at the time (cod war sabre rattling to nuclear disarmament and the collapse of the eastern bloc). I thought the film captured the more maverick attitudes prevalent in TOS quite nicely.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Alright, i used to watch TNG all the time with my dad as a kid and it was pretty entertaining. Voyager was okay i didn't mind.

I enjoyed the film, but a part of me really hated how it was totally star trek for 'everyone' and then there was just so many elements of that film that weren't really..startrek..Like the family humour....

And gota, you can thank star trek for inspiring the cellphone/mp3 btw..

and to liger, apparently before this series, torpedos were fired one at a time, and everyones offensive lasers were capable of destroying them anyways.

I still enjoyed the film though.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

:|
jennington

Post by jennington »

I haven't seen it but my prediction is that it'll be a pretty nice film but still total rape :( No way it can come close to the series with that new cast (I mean seriously, Nimoy and Shatner were priceless for one) and the whole "lol complete makeover" attitude.

Sigh... I'm still looking forward to watching it, ofc. Hoping it manages to achieve some degree of epicness :>
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Energy: In Soviet Russia Energy comands you!

Seriously StarTreks Idealism is dead, it was slaugthered by human Reality of constant wars and the disapppearing of the stalemate of the coldwar. In a World were ethnic Minoritys who gain freedom, start to slaughter each other at once, it is hard to imagine that endless pyjamaparty in space not as a laughing anit-matter.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

The only thing that really disappointed me about it was that they changed things that didnt really need changing (mainly fxwise: phasers, warp effect, WINDOWS ON THE BRIDGE WTF?) and could have been left (maybe spruced up a lil) the same as in the series without it impacting the story of the movie in anyway.

Final verdict! Good film, just didnt feel like Star Trek imo. My dad summed it up best with his comment about Quantum of Solace, "Its not a James Bond film. Its an action film with James Bond in it." The difference is subtle, but its there.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Pressure Line wrote:WINDOWS ON THE BRIDGE
meh, macs are slotted dirtily into almost every film release (so many apple logo closeups in I AM LEGEND...) I wasnt that phased to see ol' gates catching on
jackoverfull

Post by jackoverfull »

I too think that that could be a problem.

Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:
Pressure Line wrote:WINDOWS ON THE BRIDGE
meh, macs are slotted dirtily into almost every film release (so many apple logo closeups in I AM LEGEND...) I wasnt that phased to see ol' gates catching on

Windows. Plural of window.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Everybody uses apple macs in australia, just look at home n away or neighbours
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

New? Windows is nothing new to star trek.

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

It felt like Star Wars VII: Kirk's Revenge, and I didn't like any of the new Star Wars movies.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”