Valkrye

Valkrye

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Valkrye

Post by Forboding Angel »

Have any of you guys seen this movie? It's a very enlightening look into what was happening inside germany during WW2. I wasn't real thrilled that tom cruise was the star of it, but I must say he did an excellent job imo.

The reason I liked it is because (as many of you know) I am a massive history buff when it comes to the world wars, in particular, ww2. Basically, it's nice to see things from the eyes of the good german people. Imo, it's a damn shame that they didn't succeed. I think germany possibly (and even the rest of the world for that matter) may have turned out better as a result of what actually happened however, and what I mean by that is, I doubt the german people would ever stand for the uprising of a tyrant within their midst ever again. That said, I found myself watching while wishing that they had been successful, even though I knew that they could not be.

On the other side of things it is sad that so many people had to lose their lives as mainly the result of one man's actions. The whole damn era was a massive tragedy really, no matter what side you were on.

It is said that history is doomed to repeat itself, while I believe that that is true, I sincerely hope that in this case humanity has learned from it's actions.

^^ not really stating anything groundbreaking here, but the movie was very well done I thought. 2 thumbs up.
Panda

Re: Valkrye

Post by Panda »

I haven't seen it, but I think it looks good.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Tom Cruise, no thanks
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

bobthedinosaur wrote:Tom Cruise, no thanks
/thread
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

bobthedinosaur wrote:Tom Cruise, no thanks
See, that's what I thought, but he manages to be normal and non-homosexual in this movie, it's very good. If you have any interest in history or the time period it's a great watch.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Seen it with a friend and, well, I played with his cat for most of the time instead and we skipped over to the action scenes near the end half way through the movie.
Gertkane

Post by Gertkane »

After seeing Tom Cruise accidentally in Tropic Thunder i figured ill give him another shot, havent yet watched Valkyrie but will soon.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Apparently Tom Cruise really is a freaking spitting image of the actual man the story is about. Too lazy to google photos for proof.

edit: not too lazy.

1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Im a history buff and I thought this movie was pretty dull
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Seen it, imo very nice movie.

But i guess its too late for cinema now and home viewing of movies sux. Its not immersive enough.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Licho wrote:Seen it, imo very nice movie.

But i guess its too late for cinema now and home viewing of movies sux. Its not immersive enough.
Projectors aren't that expensive. Get a nice DLP projector and a cheap surround-sound DVD player and you're all set.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

if you got a blu ray player and a 52 inch sony bravia tv with 7:1 surround sound it is :]
aegis

Post by aegis »

52" is nothing
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Projectors are not same. Cinema is much much much bigger than any wall you can have. And the fact that you cannot pause it helps too :)
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

aegis wrote:52" is nothing

why would i want crappy projector quality or a larger lower quality screen

the sound and lighting of the room (turning all lights off + closing curtains) adds the most immersion. So you only need a big good quality screen
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Otherside wrote:
aegis wrote:52" is nothing

why would i want crappy projector quality or a larger lower quality screen

the sound and lighting of the room (turning all lights off + closing curtains) adds the most immersion. So you only need a big good quality screen
And how many times would I go to the movies with the price of that monitor? And I still prefer theater-size screen.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I have a 49" and its fucking amazing at the right viewing distance, so I imagine 52" is even better. you nubs bawwwing about the cinemar clearly are NOT the proud owners of a 50"+ screen
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Licho wrote:And the fact that you cannot pause it helps too :)
Drop your remote in the toilet for a true cinematic movie experience!
Gota

Post by Gota »

How can you be history buffs and like this movie?
First of all in real life the hero of the movie was not all that goody too shoes.
In the movie he is portrayed having characteristics and roles of several people from the real events.

On a different note i think there have actually been a few dozen attempts at hitler's life.

Edit:
making the picture in black and white and showing both people in the same autfit,same haircut and in profile does not make them actually look alike.

Tom cruise? not really..

Stauffenberg was actually very nationalistic but also completely agreed with germany completely taking over poland and using the polish people as slaves..

Of course he only joined the resistance after the front vs russia went sour.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

You completely missed the point of the movie imo, gota. It wasn't about how much of a world hero he was (or tried to be anyway), it was more about him being one of the fallen heroes of germany, or at least that's how I took it.

How many of the so called heroes of the world were jesus reincarnate? If you believe any of them were, you need a fresh dose of reality. Heroes don't always have the rosiest of backgrounds.

On multiple occasions the movie refers to the 14 (I think it was 14) previous attempts on hitler's life). Dunno how you missed that.

Just because you have a crappy past doesn't mean that your future actions have to be crappy as well, otherwise, we're all fucked.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”