Units that are very rarely used and probably need changing - Page 3

Units that are very rarely used and probably need changing

Classic game design, maintained to please you...

Moderator: Content Developer

Jazcash

Re: Units that are very rarely used and probably need changing

Post by Jazcash »

I used the sea transport unit in my last game. It really does suck.
It wouldn't unload when I ordered it to. It's slow for what it does, it looks ugly, the health bars are shown like over 9000 meters below the map when units are in it and it's eww eww eww.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

JAZCASH wrote:I used the sea transport unit in my last game. It really does suck.
It wouldn't unload when I ordered it to. It's slow for what it does, it looks ugly, the health bars are shown like over 9000 meters below the map when units are in it and it's eww eww eww.
That's more of a matter of "too buggy to function" than a balance issue. But yeah, I tried to use it on Small Supreme once. Epic fail.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Personally I think it would be more useful to improve the hover transports and remove the sea transport entirely.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

neddiedrow wrote:Personally I think it would be more useful to improve the hover transports and remove the sea transport entirely.
Seconded.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

or youknow, make em much cheaper/faster, cause they can only go in the water vs hovers going on land
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I say make the hover transport replace the sea transport so the sea lab builds the hover one instead.
Last edited by Jazcash on 05 May 2009, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Hoverplants already have much better access to enemy land (via actual hovercraft) than Seaplants, that said there's no reason why both transports can't be made more viable.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

What about giving the sea transport battleship or cruiser amounts of HP and making sure it actually works?
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

el_matarife wrote:What about giving the sea transport battleship or cruiser amounts of HP and making sure it actually works?
it would make for awesome combombs?
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

One problem with the sea transport is the way the model itself is designed - it has to unload units one at a time with an awkward crane.

Why not make it look more like a modern transport and let them just drive off? inspirational picture

The ship should just run aground and open up its front/sides. Then all the units inside could run right out.

Also inspirational transport hovercraft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LCAC_19970620.jpg
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

The engine really isn't equipped to handle that in a good looking manner, but it won't look any worse than the present. The ship needs to be able to come in close, however, and many maps aren't really designed for that, so it will have to be able to handle quite shallow depths and still have a load/unload range which probably won't match up with the space right before the unit. It would be nice if it could load and unload a few units simultaneously, rather than picking them up one after another.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

BaNa wrote:
el_matarife wrote:What about giving the sea transport battleship or cruiser amounts of HP and making sure it actually works?
it would make for awesome combombs?
What are you guys talking about?

They already have double the HP of a cruiser.

They are already awesome combomb weapons since they are next to unstoppable by any regular fleet/mass of seaporc
I don't use this strat very often - and I've never seen anyone else use it - but its extremely potent.
ginekolog

Post by ginekolog »

repair pad: i use it allways when i go krow. it has 4*1000 repair power.

sea transport: it should be able to load all units, big capacitiy (like 30 sumos) and be able to unload in one move with that crane at range ~400. Now that might be actually worht all the hassle with loading etc..

that or let sea lab build hover transports instead (or amphib ones)

still most non air transports will allways suck as its allmost always better to spam hover or amhibs.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

More capacity certainly wouldnt hurt.
Though I wouldnt put more than the current max of 10 heavys into a seatrans (I'd rather spread the risk out...), it'd be nice to be able to transport more than 20 AK's/Peewee's at once.

Other stuff that couldn't hurt sea/hovertrans:
*More speed (something like 25%)
*Cheaper and less buildtime.
You can make an airlab for the cost of 1 seatrans/hovertrans and only half (sea) / one third (hover) of the buildtime!
And then you do not just have a faster trans, but also... air. So imho buildtime should be cut down to about 1/4 of its old values.
*Faster load & unload
Has already been mentioned by a few people. I think giving them 2 cranes with a noticeable speed boost (~50%) would make the load/unload speed acceptable while still keeping OTA-ish flavour.

And im against dropping seatrans for hovertrans. Keep em seperated, hovertrans got more flexibility (and maybe gets unload after destruction/selfd?), seatrans got more speed and health, its fine as it is.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

Raptor wrote: *Faster load & unload
Has already been mentioned by a few people. I think giving them 2 cranes with a noticeable speed boost (~50%) would make the load/unload speed acceptable while still keeping OTA-ish flavour.
Is there any way we could make the cranes drop multiple units when unloading? It'd be nice if the crane could drop blocks of 4 medium / small units or two large units at once.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

maybe possible with lua, i'm not sure if engine supports this directly, though.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Or make the trans have smaller size and cost, so you effectively get faster (un)loading when you have several trans with current (or bit faster) load speed.

Would also make commbombing with them harder.
el_matarife

Post by el_matarife »

JohannesH wrote:Or make the trans have smaller size and cost, so you effectively get faster (un)loading when you have several trans with current (or bit faster) load speed.
Would also make commbombing with them harder.
No, that's easy. You just build several transports and since the enemy can't tell what's inside them you can just play a shell game with them. Just make sure you send in a few transports before you send the one in with the commander and you'll be golden, since defenses and units target the first unit to come into range and don't stop till that unit is dead.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

I'm all for sub transports, but the boats still have their place in the combombing universe.
YokoZar

Post by YokoZar »

If we're worried about commbombing (or commnapping), it would be very easy to make the transport ship/hover unable to carry commanders. It makes a level of sense anyway, since the commander is already amphibious.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation”