P.U.R.E. has gone Commercial. - Page 3

P.U.R.E. has gone Commercial.

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

quantum

Re: P.U.R.E. is going Commercial.

Post by quantum »

Otherside wrote:So CA chickens is going to be included (because it cant) ??
To nip the issue in the bud, we released it as GPL with parts in PD so it can be sold. I'm 100% fine with it being sold and don't resent it in any way, in fact I wish Argh good luck and hope PURE will have a lot of success.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Thanks, quantum. That means a lot to me.

And for my part, anything I ever do with Chickens will always, always, always be GPL. Even if I remake the art assets, etc. It's just like World Builder, frankly. I want it to be something everybody can always use, including for commercial projects of their own.
can you sell models that your already using in your commercial title
The usage is non-exclusive, so yeah. Fact of the matter is that nobody ever bought anything, so it's moot. I guess I'll take them down today, though, seems pretty silly to leave them up all this time.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Good luck with this.

I really think you need to organise some kind of account control via a private server rather than using Springs master server. Disable any account that has 3 or more simultaneous logins until the owner re-authenticates their account via email. Maybe even tie the account system in Stardocks API. If you can't do this yourself then consider putting some of your proceeds towards hiring someone who can.
Argh

Post by Argh »

If you can't do this yourself then consider putting some of your proceeds towards hiring someone who can.
The minute we have the money, we won't hesitate to spend it on these kinds of issues. I really wish I'd known for sure that we'd land a deal, tbh, I might have sought out additional sources of funding, hit up relatives, that sort of crap. Little late now, we're tied to the rails and I have to deliver a decent Gold, or die trying. Not much time. I won't be sleeping much.

Meh, gotta get myself in bed and sleep, if I can. Gotta be up tomorrow early, to get ready for the event and stuff. Fingers are crossed, I'm hoping that people enjoy themselves. It's been forever since I got to do anything fun like this, and while I'll have to do master-of-ceremonies crap, it'll be informal and I'll get to hang out and LAN on decent computers, which will be really nice :-)

At any rate, I guess this is pretty much it. If anybody has any remaining questions or concerns, please feel free to PM me, I'll be around and stuff, I just won't be very active here for awhile.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Why put all the effort into having your particular server locked down?
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Good luck to you argh, looks like a great project.
SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Argh wrote:I'll be around and stuff, I just won't be very active here for awhile.
[sounds of cheering]

Nah seriously, it'll be pretty quiet around here without your walls of text, complaints, insults, responses to insults and informed technical debate. I think I hear KDR and AF dancing.

:mrgreen:
daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

Dont forget to tell the springzine about P.U.R.E. Free advertisement!

Sleeplesssnight huh. Time to payoff Good luck and have fun.
REVENGE

U

Post by REVENGE »

SpliFF wrote:
Argh wrote:I'll be around and stuff, I just won't be very active here for awhile.
[sounds of cheering]

Nah seriously, it'll be pretty quiet around here without your walls of text, complaints, insults, responses to insults and informed technical debate. I think I hear KDR and AF dancing.

:mrgreen:
QUICK SMOTH, ASK FOR A PROJECT SUBFORUM NAO! AND LOCK HIM OUT!
:lol:
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

I wish you luck but not happy about the possibility of no linux support, it really isn't hard to support it. And someone made you a single player launcher before, i saw it.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

The Single Player launcher I made for Argh is written in C#, I haven't tested it under Mono. It's 1.1, so it _could_ work, but it hasn't been tested. Plus, he'd definitely have to change all the paths in his config file for it, since a Linux version of PURE won't have the same directory-structure as the Win32 version.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:your selling ca chickens huh?
That comments is unprofessional. After all that His Arghness has freely offered to you, is it how you thank him? It is that kind of trolling that makes this Spring community the worst Spring community he's ever been involved with. So His Arghness will now announce his departure, asks all his threads to be locked & deleted, so that you will now have to post in Wolfe Games (C) forums, where he can moderate negative posts such as this.
smoth

Post by smoth »

heh, must fight urge to bash....

come on guys, as much as I would love to join in, lets just leave the thread alone or start a separate thread. By busting arghs dick, we just make more work for the moderation staff. Don't they have enough work to do as it is?
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

smoth wrote:Don't they have enough work to do as it is?
I do not share your mercy.

(Neddie especially)
Last edited by Jazcash on 27 Apr 2009, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

There is no reason for trolling one another here. Please cease and desist.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

I would seriously suggest more time spent on testing and balance. The last round that google and i had a hack at it we found some pretty big stuff, both balance issues and bugs. You fixed them (after we managed to convince you to) but trust me, those wont be the last ones. It takes a very long time and a lot of very good players playing it at a high level for the 'culture of balance' to iron itself out and for the players to find the evolutionary stable strategies in the system.

But, you're not making Starcraft 2 here. As long as you have strong singleplayer content it may not matter. Its probably better balanced than some commercial releases already (which is not saying much, most RTS's barely balance for multiplayer at all).

Do you intend to release it in a fashion in which you can continue to update it, or will this be the final version?

On chickens: The final version that ended up getting around wasnt really what we intended. We intended to have a dynamic structure that reacts to the players aggression and territory, rather than having it linked to a 40 minute timer. Earlier versions did this (but had problems, thus the timer so we could continue devving it). When BA took it we lost all reason and motivation to keep working on it though so thats the version that 'went wild'.

On a more technical front though, chicken walk scripts broke in last spring version. It repeats in a loop when given a walk command, so if you get two walk commands in a row without stopping it plays them over eachother (im a scripting nub- though it did work fine in the spring version i made it for).

You'll want to fix that if it hasnt been already (if you have ill nick it back kthx, save me the trouble).
Argh

Post by Argh »

Do you intend to release it in a fashion in which you can continue to update it, or will this be the final version?
We'll be continuing to release updates every 2 weeks or so, so long as sales support that. We want to add ocean fighting, and we (may) set the Chickens up as a third race, maybe even overhaul the Nanos, for more varied gameplay. We're just going to keep adding value so long as we can afford to, it really depends on sales numbers. For now, we're just concentrating on building a halfway-decent single player experience.

On the subject of balance... Brad Wardell has a great essay on that, and said that better than 95% of people who buy a RTS (he talked about SOSE) don't ever play it multiplayer... so we're not stressing too much. We've fixed the last major bit of balance complaints, and while we're sure that there's stuff that's OP / UP, we're of the opinion that it's not so awful that sales will suffer as a result (i.e., if any reviewers even touch multiplayer, they're probably not going to find Bad Stuff right away).

In short, if you CA guys want to get serious about growing an audience worldwide, keep working on your single-player component. As soon as I have the savegame thingy done, I'll let people know about it, it should help a lot (although I should warn you folks, it'll be a solution that's tied to AppLauncher).

As for the Chickens animations, yup, they're broken, and I'm fixing them, and everybody using Chickens is more than welcome to use that source.

I am making some pretty fundamental changes to the Chickens code I'm using, though- I found several fairly serious bugs in the Lua that were exposed when I converted them (probably dumb stuff I did, but meh) and I'm trying to rationalize their gameplay a bit. But people can just take a look and see for themselves when it's available.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

SOSE isn't a typical RTS though - it gained a lot more traction among the 4X set, who aren't as big on online gaming as RTS buffs are. While I wouldn't be surprised if most RTS games have similarly surprisingly-low online play, id' think that SOSE is an extreme case.
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Argh wrote:I found several fairly serious bugs in the Lua that were exposed when I converted them (probably dumb stuff I did, but meh) and I'm trying to rationalize their gameplay a bit. But people can just take a look and see for themselves when it's available.
BA Chicken Defense should be stable now, but it's a complete mess so I woudn't doubt that it's fragile, I have been meaning to rewrite it nicely from scratch but keep putting it off.
Argh

Post by Argh »

@Pxtl: I agree with that. And I also suspect we'll have to adjust things for more perfect balance, once we have enough people looking at it.

I'm just saying that that's going to have to be a low priority until we go Gold, is all. If anybody has time to get a game going with RC6 and finds anything super-nasty, we want to know about it, of course. We found the bug with the Maxims being able to fire through Shields, which is definitely a bug, but the other stuff, like Air timing and balance, we're not sure about.

@TheFatController: any bugs that have crept up are almost certainly my fault. I had to change quite a lot, to get it to behave itself and be bug-free 'til the end. The Queen caused me quite a few headaches.

Return to “Argh's Projects”