none static sandbox RPG - Page 2

none static sandbox RPG

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Argh

Re: none static sandbox RPG

Post by Argh »

Let me repeat myself. What I said... the very, very short version: "you can do what you're describing, but only on a very small scale and only if you keep the behaviors very simple".

I don't think that it's possible to have whole empires of self-directing agents in this engine. It's not feasible. Really. Not happening.

So figure out which part of it you think is fun- the high-level, pretty abstract, giant empire part, or the low-level people-interaction part... and then go from there. Or dismiss what I'm saying, and that's fine, you're perfectly entitled to do whatever you want to, and maybe there are ways to get around these things that I'm just too dumb to see :-)
Gota

Post by Gota »

Probably
Argh

Post by Argh »

Well, I'll be happy to play it when you're done in a few years :-)
Gota

Post by Gota »

Have you ever tried playing the X3 series?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yes. Very pretty. Very boring (imo). I know a lot of people like them, but I don't, and they're not doing what you think they are, if that's what you're trying to drive at.

They're faking it, and faking it very well, but in the end, they had to use a bunch of workarounds to keep things feasible.

Meh. If I was going to build a game of this sort, I'd either build a sequel to Freelancer, or I'd build an entirely new IP set in a steampunk world. X3 has far too much of the empty boring-ness of Space, and I really prefer an unrealistic, Wing Commander type experience, where I can be heroic and where skill matters. Flying around fleets of carriers and giant battleships, where my personal contribution to combat is not all that cool, is boring to me. I can see why it appeals to other people, but I just don't get into that personally.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Except u control them all...Oo..
Ashnal

Post by Ashnal »

When you were talking about taking ideas from a rogue-like Argh, that got me to thinking. You know those nethack frontends? stuff like falcon's eye, and the gtk graphical interface for nethack? What if you could somehow use spring to make a 3d representation of nethack?

You could let the original nethack executable run and just have it pass important data for display to spring.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Ashnal wrote:When you were talking about taking ideas from a rogue-like Argh, that got me to thinking. You know those nethack frontends? stuff like falcon's eye, and the gtk graphical interface for nethack? What if you could somehow use spring to make a 3d representation of nethack?

You could let the original nethack executable run and just have it pass important data for display to spring.
No point, Nethack is still 2d and tile-based, why use a 3d engine for that? If you would do animations for moving, attacking and so, it would slow down and ruin the gameplay... Roguelikes are made with ascii graphics in mind, and that's the best interface for them no doubt. I tried Falcons Eye once, and it was just shitty. You couldn't even see the whole level at a time without scrolling (not on the laptop monitor I used then at least).
Argh

Post by Argh »

When you were talking about taking ideas from a rogue-like Argh, that got me to thinking. You know those nethack frontends? stuff like falcon's eye, and the gtk graphical interface for nethack? What if you could somehow use spring to make a 3d representation of nethack?

That could be doable via a DLL, I'd imagine.

I don't really see that as the way to go, though- just me a personally, I'm certainly not saying that a Nethack frontend might not be fun.

I just think that it wouldn't translate to 3D very well. I loved many of the ASCII games, but including the time for character animations to happen, etc., means that it'd have to be weighted differently to work well.

So... I'd rather see something more complex than Gauntlet, but not ridiculously complicated, and use Lua to reshape the level whenever you go "up" or "down" or "return to town".

I'm pretty darn sure that it can be done, and be a really cool, randomized Diablo-esque experience. I just don't want to mess with it until the engine can do better character animation for organic stuff, and ideally we'd (finally) have a modern splatting format that we could edit in realtime.

I think that a simple Roguelike, where each turn (say, 1/10th second) causes a pause (allow players to adjust the # of turns before a pause, and voila, semi-realtime or just plain realtime, depending on preferences) would be quite easy to get done, on the programming end.

Ok, complex spells and stuff might get hairy, but whatever- getting the basics working would be pretty easy, and would mainly involve stealing other people's GPL'd algorithms.

Return to “Game Development”