Spring Werewolf I - Page 2

Spring Werewolf I

Where the werewolf game is played

Moderator: Moderators

lurker

Re: Spring Werewolf I

Post by lurker »

Beherith wrote:Are we allowed to pm each other?
No, which is why I worked up a secure in-thread system a couple days ago. But I'm not bothering with it if paranoia is going to kill me on the first day. BURN THE WITCH
Regret

Post by Regret »

aegis wrote:hi i am a wolf dont kill my lurker because hes a wolf too
This is too easy.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

GG lurker,

Lurker to go.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

lurker wrote:Uh huh. Assuming I'm not dead I'll have basic instructions for communicating with any other person in the thread encrypted soon. All you need is two prime numbers.
This is the only communication that is allowed between players during daytime.
How do you tell the receiver your 2 prime numbers if only wolves can communicate outside the thread?
lurker

Post by lurker »

A short introduction to public key cryptography based on RSA. Each person has a private key and a public key. These keys are generated from two prime numbers that are secret to everyone. The public key is given out freely, and when a message is encrypted with this public key, the only person that can read it is the one with the private key. Two people that want to communicate with each other each share public keys openly and send their messages openly, and no one else can read them, only see that there is a message. I figured it would come in handy to be able to scratch out some calculations on a piece of paper and send an encrypted message to another villager.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

That would make it obvious who's the wolf.

3 Votes for lurker so far.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Hoi

let's see how this goes... :P
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Hoi
cause I cba to unignore anyone

On a serious note, his argument against lurker is also evidence that he is looking for a scape goat.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Sweet, I might not die. Hoi
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

rattle wrote:On a serious note, his argument against lurker is also evidence that he is looking for a scape goat.
You can say that for everyone.

Don't bother killing me, I'm just a villie.
And yes saying that will make people think I'm a wolf, but I'm just a villie...
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Don't bother killing me, I'm just a villie.
And yes saying that will make people think I'm a wolf, but I'm just a villie...
HE'S A VILLIE! KILL HIM! HOI
lurker

Post by lurker »

Hoi wrote:I'm just a villie...
You'd better not be the seer and leave us in the dark after you're violently lynched.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Ok guys, lets get this over with fast:

I propose the following method to win this game (without using PGP, or other software besides windows calculator).

We were all sent group PMs, luckily BCC-d. So, each group, seers, wolfes and villagers all got sent their own batch of pms. Lets suppose for the sake of the exercise, that it takes more than a minute to make all of these group pms.

So, each group has a very specific secret key, namely the arrival time of his PM.
Do not share this timestamp!

I propose the following method of verification of this time stamp for everyone:
Take the minute value of your time stamp. Generate a random 10 digit number, lets call this N.
Multiply your timestamp with N. Add the floor of the square root of N to it. Again, multiply it by N and add the floor of the square root of N.

Then everyone proceeds to publish this number. Once all (or most, excluding the wolves :) ) have published their calculated number, everyone publishes his random number, and verifies that he indeed knew the timestamp properly.

Now, there are a few possible attacks to this. I dont know how good the function is, so once the first random number is published, a wolf can try to find a random number that works with his calculated number to output the proper timestamp.

Further possible attacks and proof of the security of this hashing function are left as an exercise to the reader. (beyond the fact that the seers timestamp is unique, he might get killed off by wolves because of this).
Last edited by Beherith on 02 Apr 2009, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I would rather use an algorithm that can't be broken with Excel. :P Good thinking, though.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

You sure that can be broken with excel? adding the floor of the square root makes factoring it useless.

Proof of break or you are a wolf.
lurker

Post by lurker »

I don't think factoring out n at 10 digits would be very time consuming. But you can just make n BIGGAR.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Hoi

Changing my vote.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Reget You jumper.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Stamp cant be hacked out of the encrypted numbers without N because of the multiple +floor(sqrt(N)) 's. That makes factoring utterly useless

N doesnt get published until everyone has published their encrypted number. Even then, once the first person publishes their N and the stamp becomes known, the wolf has to find a 10 digit random number that collides with his own published encrypted stamp so that he can decode it to the proper stamp, not the wolf stamp.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

This feels just like any of the other Off topic topics.

Return to “The Werewolf Game”