Civilization fans - Page 2

Civilization fans

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Felix the Cat

Re: Civilization fans

Post by Felix the Cat »

Civ 2 all the way, IMO.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Felix the Cat wrote:Civ 2 all the way, IMO.
Yeah Civ 2 is awesome. I sometimes play it on my laptop at the same time with dwarf fortress/EVE because the ui is so streamlined that you can play it with one hand with little focus.

Civ 4 is a improvement from the previous civs, with more complex cities, upgrades and units.

and as acidd said, Fall from heaven really adds a lot into it, like crime rates, magic, more attributes for civs, new civics and more complex religions that also grant unique buildings/units
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Gota wrote:I wonder how The announced Civ V will play now that Take Two acquired Firaxis.
Hard to say... on one hand civ has gone through 4 iterations with pretty much only minor changes. On the other hand... it's damn time they did something new already.

They should have made a new version alpha centari rather then another civ.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Alpha Centauri so so leet....
But the Civ franchise is very "conventional and unispired"
Call to power for example,although lacking in many things has some awesome and original ideas like running your cities using slaves that you capture.
It also has systems that alow you to run a huge empire in a much more streamlined and centralized way allowing you to focus on the strategy instead of microing each afking worker and what each of your 15 cities is building at all times.
CTP also replaces worker units with just an interface to place tile improvments based on your civil labor currency which is taken form your city production currency(hammers).
Trade is more streamlined and not so micro intensive(and boring)...
Diplomacy in CTP 2,using the latest ruleset of the fan community is awesome and CTP2's source was released which really allowes the community to develop it further and fix the many downfalls of the vanilla CTP2.
Of course it doesn't have the nice visuals of CIV 4...
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

BA on DSD
momfreeek

Post by momfreeek »

Pxtl wrote:If it counts? Master of Magic.
+1. its in my nick
thesleepless wrote:master of magic is still awesome, would love to see a fixed up version with real multiplayer
this guy got so far.. but gave up recently :(
http://www.roughseas.ca/momime/
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Well, that's a relief. I was a bit concerned by your incestuous desires.
erasmus

Post by erasmus »

alpha centauri for me
tombom

Post by tombom »

Civ 3 was absolutely awful. Call to Power 2 is pretty fun. The source project is great, I actually made a few (terrible) additions to it.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

I like the boardgame myself, but that's because I like board games.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I'm thinking of checking out civilisation since I got so much out of galactic civ... where in the series should I start? I was going to get civ 4 and all the add ons and go from there, is that the best option?
pintle

Post by pintle »

I liked civ 3 with the play the world expansion best, the right balance between eye candy, playability, and massively bloated snore-fests.

I would just grab freeciv tho.

Or I would just DOWNLOAD SINS OF A SOLAR EMPIRE LIKE I KEEP TELLING YOU TO.
Gota

Post by Gota »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:I'm thinking of checking out civilisation since I got so much out of galactic civ... where in the series should I start? I was going to get civ 4 and all the add ons and go from there, is that the best option?
Yeah.
the forth installment is probably the most convenient Civ in the series cause its really easy to get info about stuff you do not understand.
I just downlaoded Civ 4 with all the addons and played a full game on the epic option.Was fun.
I do think diplomacy in Civ is lacking,you don't feel like your negotiating.
The cpu will rarely negotiate and make counter offers..
It also seems to me like War is not prevalent enough in civ 4.You dont have enough time to construct military units and fight.The eras just fly by.
Another thing is that the game doesn't really simulate internal conflicts inside a certain civilization..
There are no real tribal or ethnic issues or confrontations inside your own civilization and that's a shame.
Civ 4 is still very fun it's just a shame its basically a rehash of earlier civs with better gfx..

After you try Civ 4 and Alpah Centauri(don't forget to download the expansion for it and patch it) I strongly suggest you try CTP 2 with the fan made changes to the engine and game rules...its really good.
Its like the "spring" of The civ buidling game ganre IMO.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”