Soul's Workz

Soul's Workz

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Soul1337

Soul's Workz

Post by Soul1337 »

lol i suck, mine newest and IMO best works:

Something like hover:
Gattling Turret (it rox yay)
KBOT with some guns
Last edited by Soul1337 on 17 Mar 2009, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
panzeriv2

Re: Soul's Workz

Post by panzeriv2 »

Your gattling is awesome...but how many polies did you spend on the barrels? What are those two little lasers?
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

omg. seriously. Random WIP thread is that way.
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

He is making a thread about his own works, thus avoiding the clutter at random WIP.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Do we really need 100 threads about newartistx's works? (not meant to be a dig at you Soul)

Critique time:
1) stay away from the smooth button.
2) 8 sided cylinders look fine (ie round) in Spring. (I can only assume thats why you have posted here)
3) I would halve the length of those gattling gun barrels, and make the pods that they come out of a bit bulkier. make them extend further backwards, so they counterbalance the weight of the barrels somewhat.
smokingwreckage

Post by smokingwreckage »

"Balancing" the proportions is not the one true god of aesthetics.

Matter of fact a slight imbalance is better.

The chaingun is fine IMO.
Soul1337

Post by Soul1337 »

panzeriv2 wrote:Your gattling is awesome...but how many polies did you spend on the barrels? What are those two little lasers?
1 barrel = 216 poly.

Little lasers... i don't know what they are doing i took some concept from this: http://www.gurps.larry3.net/SG1/Encyclo ... inigun.jpg
Pressure Line wrote:omg. seriously. Random WIP thread is that way.
But those aren't in progress. I finished them.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

smokingwreckage wrote:"Balancing" the proportions is not the one true god of aesthetics.

Matter of fact a slight imbalance is better.

The chaingun is fine IMO.
ofc, that is true, there is no *right* way for things to be/look.

another thing to note is that the gatling gun barrels aren't evenly spaced...

*edit* finished? o_O
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

As a general rule, the Random WIP thread is for posting random models (like these). Also, these models are not finished. Firstly: there's a fair bit of clean-up that needs doing (for one thing, it doesn't look like those can be animated and a number of bad polygons) and Secondly: models are only finished once textured and ingame. Trust me on this, I always end up fiddling with my models during the UV Mapping stage (and if I'm really unlucky, during the texturing stage too...).

Really, separate art threads in this forum should be about longer term projects like mods or unit packs (ie MrD's remakes). For random models, that's what the Random WIP is for. Please use it as such.
smoth

Post by smoth »

panzeriv2 wrote:He is making a thread about his own works, thus avoiding the clutter at random WIP.
This isn't deviant art. Originally the only things keeping eyecandy threads were the projects which have AMPLE to show. I really don't see a reason to flood art & modeling with personal image dump threads.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

firstly mass hypocrisy here

No1 baaaawed when Mr D made a thread about each of his model's

Also having one thread per Modeller is fine it helps when trying to find a user's model or give specific criticism to the user etc (not trying to filter through 160+ pages to find the model)

So stop raging on this thread GTFO if you dont like it and stop trying to derail.

Spring has a lack of modellers/texturers in general all your moaning is gonna put them off

WTB one thread that isnt derailed with drama (mainly by smoth)

ONTOPIC

The second mode is nice but there seems to be alot of poly waste especially on the things attatched to the gatling gun

but overall good work
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Otherside wrote:No1 baaaawed when Mr D made a thread about each of his models
Me wrote:Really, separate art threads in this forum should be about longer term projects like mods or unit packs (ie MrD's remakes). For random models, that's what the Random WIP is for. Please use it as such.
Yes, but that was one guy at it was few and far between. Plus, he was actually finishing off his models and listened closely to community input. And he was working for a project and knew what he was doing.

In other words: he was so good we just didn't care.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

yo i heard you like elitism

and he wasnt making it for a set project he was just remaking them (and CA was taking them)

these threads are good and imo they should stay
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

The models are really nice. :-)
that said: Hows abut some skinz? :wink:
smoth

Post by smoth »

Otherside wrote:firstly mass hypocrisy here

No1 baaaawed when Mr D made a thread about each of his model's

Also having one thread per Modeller is fine it helps when trying to find a user's model or give specific criticism to the user etc (not trying to filter through 160+ pages to find the model)

So stop raging on this thread GTFO if you dont like it and stop trying to derail.

Spring has a lack of modellers/texturers in general all your moaning is gonna put them off

WTB one thread that isnt derailed with drama (mainly by smoth)

ONTOPIC

The second mode is nice but there seems to be alot of poly waste especially on the things attatched to the gatling gun

but overall good work
Looks to me that you my friend are starting some drama. Want a slice of humble pie?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Soul1337 wrote:Little lasers... i don't know what they are doing i took some concept from this: http://www.gurps.larry3.net/SG1/Encyclo ... inigun.jpg
Those are mounting brackets to mount the minigun to vehicles. If the gun had mounting brackets they would be internal to the mechanics of the turret, so it's pointless to have them modeled.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Its okay to have aiming lasers, turrets gotta see man.

But, too much smooth, too many wasted polygons. Clean it up man!
smoth

Post by smoth »

aiming lazers are pimp, it is one of the tight things about the predator. I definitely support targeting lasers.
Soul1337

Post by Soul1337 »

Yeah i think the best way to use those, would be some lasers... i'm not going to texture any of this. And there's going to be more.

Thanks fro every comment, critic.
Soul1337

Post by Soul1337 »

New model yay

Return to “Art & Modelling”