MidKnight's Models! (new:I am back at it!) - Page 8

MidKnight's Models! (new:I am back at it!)

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

What should I work on next?

Core t2 walker?
14%
Core t3 mech?
19%
Core heavy gunship?
11%
Arm heavy gunship?
3%
Arm fighter?
11%
My own mod?
43%

Total votes: 37

overkill

Re: MidKnight's Models! (new: Raven Mark II))

Post by overkill »

smoth wrote: also, I figured you would get to it but I am saying something... those props need work. seriously what the hell why do a lot of new guys do that...

maackey

Post by maackey »

Wow. Much better. Some of the polygons need to be fixed, as they stick out, but I like the design/detail much better.

Also, perhaps add a continuous protective shield outside the fans to make it a little less ... tacked on. The bulky fan is holding up itself and the rest of the ship by one single joint, located at the rear no less. I can't tell if the front is connected to the ship because of your camera angle, so I'm just assuming its not.

And then that would allow you to re-think your fans as well.

I guess its kinda hard to explain what I mean with words, a picture would do much better, but tbh I don't feel like it right now :P
MidKnight

Re: MidKnight's Models! (new: Raven Mark VI))

Post by MidKnight »

Reply to overkill:
I also reworked the engines, they now work via magnets, superheavy materials, and gravitrons, and are not as much propellers as they are 'gravity generators' ofc that's all just boring, useless fluff; model-wise, I added the central column and the top section of the shroud.
It maybe boring, useless fluff, but it explains why the motors are how they are. It also solves some dilemmas. If you need the full fluffinessof my fluff, please ask, but i don't want to write a page of taknobabble unless somebody actually wants to read it. :wink:

Reply to maackey:
good idea! I'll try it in a sec :P

EDIT: tried it. Looks more logical, but it makes it look like an arm unit :|
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Now then, I need this divider for a very impotant purpose :-)

CHOOSE!
your preferred firing mode/anim!

The "Hood of a Carrepairer" style (cover hinges open, gun peeks out and fires)

OR...

The "I worship Mr.D's Tremor" style (cover slides forward, gun tilts up, fires)

BARREL IS A PLACEHOLDER!!!!!1!!1!

The score so far is:
3 for tremor (YotaXP, COX, and Quantum)
2 for car door (Maackey, me)

VOTE!
smoth

Post by smoth »

overkill wrote:
smoth wrote: also, I figured you would get to it but I am saying something... those props need work. seriously what the hell why do a lot of new guys do that...

MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

It's not a fan!
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Improvement.

But the thing you are missing here is that the gun should not be on the top, this isnt firing upwards, it is mostly a ground attack aircraft.

The rapier fires its missiles directly forward.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

MidKnight wrote: Also, after a short conversation with hoi, I realized what you meant by the whole "make it look aerodynamic" spiel, or at least, I think I did :P
actually my spiel was more "don't shit all over 100+ years of aerospace engineering. people have expectations of what a fighter/bomber/gunship looks like, at least *try* to make it look like that."

although your model looks better now, its still not fit for the purpose (according to Sak).

the end result of you modeling should be "pretty sweet fighter/bomber/tank/hovercraft!" not "omg. wtf is that?" then "how in the hell does that work?"

again... people have expectations of what an X looks like in general, make it look like that.

ps: your fan blades are horrible, flatten them on the y axis (so they are 2d) and get some lua for prop-blur.

*edit* i was trying to get you to think about why your original model was, to be blunt, crap. although I am aware that english is not your first language (i think?) it didnt turn out the way i planned, cos what i was saying went over your head :(
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Weapon arrangement suggests it's something like a gunship artillery (since the barrel is located such that it's capable of high-trajectory fire, and NOT capable of firing at ground targets near or under the unit). I've never seen such a concept in Spring yet, and I have serious doubts that's what you want the unit to do.
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

MidKnight that model makes no sense.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Firing position. Does this clear things up?
And no, it will not in any way affect reaction speed (unless you want it to) :P

Pressure Line wrote:
MidKnight wrote: Also, after a short conversation with hoi, I realized what you meant by the whole "make it look aerodynamic" spiel, or at least, I think I did :P
actually my spiel was more "don't shit all over 100+ years of aerospace engineering. people have expectations of what a fighter/bomber/gunship looks like, at least *try* to make it look like that."
although your model looks better now, its still not fit for the purpose (according to Sak).
the end result of you modeling should be "pretty sweet fighter/bomber/tank/hovercraft!" not "omg. wtf is that?" then "how in the hell does that work?"
again... people have expectations of what an X looks like in general, make it look like that.
The reason that this looks so different is that, while most aircraft have their weapons mounted towards the front, this guy has its (his? hers?) in the middle-back, and therefore must be balanced as such. If I were to move the weapon and replace the fans with engines, it'd look like an ugly version of Saktoth's banshee.
Also, a majority of the CA team are against the idea of wings on gunships, which makes it even harder to make this look realistic.

I'm open to suggestions! Anyone? no, file -> new doesn't count
ps: your fan blades are horrible, flatten them on the y axis (so they are 2d) and get some lua for prop-blur.
Will do (!), although idk where to get propeller lua (apparently S44's lua is too CPU intensive :? )
*edit* i was trying to get you to think about why your original model was, to be blunt, crap. although I am aware that english is not your first language (i think?) it didnt turn out the way i planned, cos what i was saying went over your head :(
In fact, English is my second language, but it's the language I speak most fluently, due to my having spend the large majority of my life in the US :P . Is my grammar honestly that bad?
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

why didnt u showed the firing position earlier? its nice (somehow :D )
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

manolo_ wrote:why didnt u showed the firing position earlier? its nice (somehow :D )
I did :-)
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

gun should not be on top it should be on the underside
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

but then we TA-camera-view people wont get to see it! :cry:
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

it makes no sense on the top and thats way more important than showing the gun.

so what if you cant see it properly in TA view some people dont play TA View and alot of other units also have the same problem (+ TA view in default as a slight angle so it would be somewhat visible)

You can also make a cool weapon on the underside which if somewhat visible from TA view.

And it will look much more menacing with a gun on the underside than a gun on top
smoth

Post by smoth »

Just call it something else and finish it. it isn't a rapier.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

smoth wrote:Just call it something else and finish it. it isn't a rapier.
This is probably the best choice of them all :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

That is what I figure, everyone has made suggestions, ones you didn't really care fore I say finish it off so you can get started on your next model.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

MidKnight wrote: I'm open to suggestions! Anyone? no, file -> new doesn't count
Will do (!), although idk where to get propeller lua (apparently S44's lua is too CPU intensive :? )
The FULL S44 plane control Lua is not meant for *A style plane economies (ie shitloads of planes) but the propblur lua (and the version i modded for multiple props) is fairly fast (its actually an [independently reached afaik] adaptation of my multiple-textures lua, that actually works) ie, i experienced a 1 or 2 fps drop between having the lua on and having it off
MidKnight wrote:
In fact, English is my second language, but it's the language I speak most fluently, due to my having spend the large majority of my life in the US :P . Is my grammar honestly that bad?
You live/lived in the US? I'm sorry ^_^ its mainly because sometimes things get lost in the internal translation (it may even be unconscious on your part) to whatever your native language is. so if you dont know what the word/phrase means in your native language, even though you *think* you undestand it, its possible that it just goes in one ear and out the other *without you being aware of it*

Return to “Art & Modelling”