P.U.R.E. RC4.2 - Page 2

P.U.R.E. RC4.2

WolfeGames and projects headed by Argh.

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Argh

Re: P.U.R.E. RC4 Release

Post by Argh »

I don't mind if they're ugly so much. When people argue about something they're passionate about, that's just how it is. I've had plenty of good debates with people here.

But a release thread is not supposed to be a debate. If anything, it should be a celebration. After all... this is many months of serious nose-to-grindstone work being unveiled here.

However, since we don't a separate place to talk about development, each release thread becomes a dev blog, and there's where it becomes a debate.

And since I can't just cull the trash posts or rein in people when they're really spouting off, anybody reading one of my "release threads" would get the impression that the project's massively controversial and entirely negative, even though... out in the Real World, I have more downloads of my game than almost all of the other Spring games put together. Meh, the game's all over the fucking world, it's been in three magazines, and we may go commercial with the next release.

Yet here... sheesh. It's like living in a bizarre bubble, guys. It's incredible, tbh.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Well done on the release, will possibly attempt to download and have a play sometime (note: my wireless drops every 2 mins :( so will take me ages).
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Argh wrote: Out in the Real World, I have more downloads of my game than almost all of the other Spring games put together. Meh, the game's all over the fucking world, it's been in three magazines, and we may go commercial with the next release.
Where are all your players? Are you still sending them to a different server? Have any download counts handy?

Also, it'd be cool to see screens of the mags - not doubting too much, its just fun to see spring games get press.
Last edited by Nemo on 09 Mar 2009, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Eman

Post by Eman »

RC 3 stills does that. RC 4 doesn't. We will see.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

downloads is all well and fine but if you cant retain a playerbase it means shit
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

I get a 404 error when downloading the mod.
Gota

Post by Gota »

yep..cant download..
Argh

Post by Argh »

Go here for the releases:

http://www.moddb.com/games/pure/downloads/

Dunno what's up with the 404, can't diagnose that from here. I would strongly recommend the full installer, we've seen sync issues with the zip, at least under Vista. Seems unzipped files get new creation dates.
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

Awesome thanks :-)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Using a shader for the fake lighting is a good idea, making a super unit look like jar-jar binks isn't, though. :P
overkill

Post by overkill »

the "Dynamic lighting" for the Resistance Heavy mech isnt the right color i think, you should look into it. Also the lighting is cool asl ong as everything is shooting, starts to get wierd when you have those giant bunker box things roving infront of aa or heavy mechs and the lighting isnt on it. (i know thats not easily doable, or doable with decent performace at all, just saying).

Also I HATE the ui. the buttons are in a corner am not comfortable with (it doesnt feel natural scrolling all the way down there(yes i am aware its this way in SC/WC) and on top of that they are small and hard to click fast in the heat of battle (springs clicking system is also contributiong to the hardness of high speed clicking i think)).

I think it would be better with slightly larger buttons and in the upper right corner instead of lower. also the resource bars are annoying to look at, to many numbers/stats not enough visual indiation of res.
Argh

Post by Argh »

the "Dynamic lighting" for the Resistance Heavy mech isnt the right color i think, you should look into it.
I'll check that out, maybe it's not red / orange like it should be.
i know thats not easily doable, or doable with decent performace at all, just saying
That may be possible, when geometry's mainly being drawn on the GPU. I did some tests, and was not terribly happy with performance as things currently stand. Maybe next version of Spring.
yes i am aware its this way in SC/WC
And DoW, and CnC, Kohan, IIRC. I can make an alternative mode, but not any time soon.
the resource bars are annoying to look at, to many numbers/stats not enough visual indiation of res
Well, the color-shift got removed because of other people whining (ok, that was mainly AF, but whatever). The numbers are there because certain people insisted on seeing the raw numbers in more detail. It's easy enough once you get used to it, and I certainly think it's useful.
making a super unit look like jar-jar binks isn't, though. :P
IDK about the Jar-Jar, but meh, whatever. I think the Overlord's awesome.
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

Don't go commercial! :(
Okay not right now not until you make a good campaign
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Posted on springinfo. I had a lil trouble with the formatting. If you could I would greatly appreciate it if in the future you could make a post in the community news section. WOuld make what I do a hell of a lot easier.

Long story short, copy pasta from moddb breaks things, impressively O_o
Eman

Post by Eman »

Anyone wants a tour, I'll play host and host for a few more hours.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Heyas, anybody wants to play or spec a game, we're online right now :-)
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Seeing as Argh has broken his no-reply rule I'll just right organized feedback here, it would probably confuse the moddb posters anyway.
  • Do something about the loud thumping noise that overmind walkers make.
  • The spring healthbars are ugly. I'd suggest adding jks hp bar widget if you can.
  • Rebel shield bunkers didn't seem to block anything.
  • Could you include show all commands because if you're used to using it things are really hard to track without it.
  • I'm using a 1680x1050 resolution and the build menu is really small, the icons were less than a 1cm^2 big.
  • It's harder to see what's going on with your animated version of attack aoe, the original one is way better.
  • Show LOS mode has a fuzzy faded edge which makes it very hard to see how far your units can see.
  • When dragging an area attack command units will target trees and neutral houses as well as enemy units.
  • Houses are capturable with constructors.
  • Can you put unit worker time in their tooltip? It's good to know wt/cost.
Argh

Post by Argh »

[*] Do something about the loud thumping noise that overmind walkers make.
It's part of fixes in anticipation of the next version of Spring. It'll be fine then, but it's obnoxious now. The way I was using wasn't compatible with the new sound system, and I was the only person using the way I was doing it, so... yeah, got caught out by engine changes. The new sound system's nice, though.
[*] The spring healthbars are ugly. I'd suggest adding jks hp bar widget if you can.
Um, we have a healthbar Widget, I swear we do. Did yours break? Send me an infolog, check your widgets.
[*] Rebel shield bunkers didn't seem to block anything.
We're not sure what's wrong with that. All of the settings are right, it worked in testing, and now it doesn't seem to work. I'll investigate that and patch it when I find the problem.
[*] Could you include show all commands because if you're used to using it things are really hard to track without it.
Absolutely.
/[*] I'm using a 1680x1050 resolution and the build menu is really small, the icons were less than a 1cm^2 big.
A bigger-button version is in order.
[*] It's harder to see what's going on with your animated version of attack aoe, the original one is way better.
That was an experiment that ran amok, and I just got used to it. I'll switch it back, or write a better one.
[*] Show LOS mode has a fuzzy faded edge which makes it very hard to see how far your units can see.
That's not P.U.R.E., it's Spring.
[*] When dragging an area attack command units will target trees and neutral houses as well as enemy units.
That's because those are valid targets. [EDIT] I'm not sure if there's a really good way to differentiate between things, I need to go look at force-fire again apparently.[/EDIT]
[*] Houses are capturable with constructors.
Really? Meh, that shouldn't work. Should be a quick fix.
[*] Can you put unit worker time in their tooltip? It's good to know wt/cost.
I have plans to have a much more detailed set of Tooltips in general, so, sure.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Also, if people want specific Widgets to be included in the "pure" version of the game, please post them here. I will need a valid download link, and I will test them to make sure they're compatible with the UI and aren't things that I think impact gameplay very much (IOW, don't even ask about Defense Ranges, etc., the answer will be no).
Auswaschbar
Spring Developer

Post by Auswaschbar »

Code: Select all

--2009-03-10 10:24:46--  http://www.wolfegames.com/PURE_RC4_BAREBONES.zip
Aufl├â┬Âsen des Hostnamen ├é┬╗www.wolfegames.com├é┬½.... 66.96.134.15
Verbindungsaufbau zu www.wolfegames.com|66.96.134.15|:80... verbunden.
HTTP Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 404 Not Found
2009-03-10 10:24:53 FEHLER 404: Not Found.
Link is broken, can not finish download :?

Return to “Argh's Projects”