Kernel Panic - Page 45

Kernel Panic

Moderator: Content Developer

Jazcash

Re: Kernel Panic

Post by Jazcash »

Kick zwzsg from the forums! He double posted!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Thanks alot!

Kernel Panic 3.2 out!
http://jobjol.nl/1683 - Complete Installer
http://jobjol.nl/1684 - Zipped Mod, Maps, and Launcher
http://jobjol.nl/1685 - Just the .sd7

The balance has not been changed, no new units, nothing drastic. This release was mainly focused on polishing the Gui / interface.

- New Tooltip!
The old tooltip was showing its legacy of TA mods, with its serious grey color, and with all the information about Metal / Energy completly irrelevant in Kernel Panic. So I replaced it by one that instead show only relevant info, some of which wasn't available before, such as weapon damage & reload, current speed / max speed (it was interesting to note that units only go twice as fast on 4x terrain boost), buffer size for network's teleport hubs,lLink status for ONS, etc...

- Improved buildbar!
I noticed that often, in the heat of combat, charged up firewall / terminal would get forgotten. So I made it so the charge status of yor specials is now always on screen, and by clicking their icon you can select and fire them, without having to map scroll and find them back in the rear of your base
Also, the previous buildbar often crashed midgame. Now this should happen much much less, if not never.

- In-world tip!
When you attack ONS-shielded building, a little panel appears to tell you advice, right on the place where it's relevant. I plan to expand this to a complete tutorial.

- AI Bugfix!
There was a rare condition under which the AI would give a wrong order and never recover from it. Not only I fixed the cause, but I added a failsafe incase a similar error occurs.

- NX BugFix!
The NX Flag is now fired where you order it, pointers are no more distracted by enemies around.

- Flow easier to hit!
The flow hitsphere was so small some shots would miss it. With a larger hitsphere, the flow should now be less OP.

- In-Game Main Menu!
When you run Spring.exe directly, instead of having only useless and crashy scripts, you get shown a main menu that redirects you toward skirmish / multi / etc...

- Settings check!
The first time you run K.P., if you have LuaUI off, it offers to enable it, as well as other settings. If you're an advanced player that don't want his settings touched, say no twice and it won't ever ask again.

MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

you, my friend, need a prettier tooltip bg.
Give me specs, and I'll make one for you. :P

Congratulations on 3.2! :mrgreen:
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

The specs is: Something rectangular.

No really, if you play a bit you'll notice the tooltip change its proportion depending on the text length and number of line, that its size is not in pixel but in screen proportion, and you can shrink / enlarge it by mousewheeling over it. The only thing that remain constant is that it is a rectangle (because it's the simplest shape to enclose txt in), and that it is fixed in the bottom left corner. And even, that last point could change whenever I feel like looking into how to implement a widget tweak mode.

Oh yeah, the "tooltip background art specification document" ;) should mention stuff like "Style fitting in with K.P.", "Simple and non distractive" "Let the text as visible and readable as possible".

The current tooltip widget:
- draw a semi transparent background
- draw a less transparent width 1 line around
- draw the text
- draw a faint rectangle over the whole

So, there is a background below the text, and a foreground above the text. It was easier that way than adding a green component to each font color change.

When applying a texture to a rectangle, by default the texture is stretched to fit the rectangle. With parameters, it can be told how many time to repeat horizontally and vertically. So, with a simple division, I could have fixed resolution tiled bitmap. Save that I never tried with non integer numbers.

So you could overlay any number of texture with any kind of tiling and stretching you want. You could even have some covering only part of the tooltip, locked to one corner or side. Or whatever. You can pretty much do about everything OpenGL does, so anything.

However, I found out there are visible seams when attempting to re-join something split in elements, so avoid that. Also, I have much trouble controlling the alpha and the blending results*, and usually do blind dumb attempt until I'm satisfied with the result. * No I don't want someone who doesn't kown more than me to lecture me
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

thanks! i rarely see a post more informative! :mrgreen:
could it be *almost* a rectangle? IE a rectangle with one corner cut? So that i make 4 images, 1 for the horizontal edge, 1 for the vertical edge, one for the corner, and one for the background?
or will that not work/require insane monster lua? :P
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Texture with alpha transparency *should* work, and is a much better solution than cutting your image. As I said, cut images give me trouble when reassembling them.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

zwzsg, you've got a forum now, you should make a new thread if there's a new map :P
knorke

Post by knorke »

kp autohost please.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I wish I could bring my four up.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

knorke wrote:kp autohost please.
I sometimes run one, but I mostly see it empty, or random noob joining alone and leaving 1 minute after, so I was under the impression it wasn't that effective.
Sertse

Post by Sertse »

Oh KP is fun, but back when I played, the only other person around was Google Frog who'll kick my ass.

Guess it's time to download spring and load it up again though...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Sorry Sertse, you probably came on the end of the KP ladder days. If I had been able to devote the time we would probably have continued to have four to eight games a day.

Return to “Kernel Panic”