MMORPGS?

MMORPGS?

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

hamsate

MMORPGS?

Post by hamsate »

HAI GREAT SPRING COMMUNITY,

I've been bored now, most of the time I'm on the computer. Right now I'm looking for a good MMORPG that I can play. Computer sucks too much to be playing most of the recent games that have come out.

I'm looking for a MMORPG that's free (of course) and one that you guys think is good, too. My download speed isn't exactly great, and I don't want to waste my time and download a crappy one.

So.. any suggestions? :wink:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: MMORPGS?

Post by SwiftSpear »

Latale was fun. A better choice than maple story anyways if they've updated it since I last played.
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

That's worse than MapleStory O.o

Anyways a nice little list of MMORPGs that I know.

1. MapleStory
2. RuneScape
3. NosTale
4. Luna Online
5. Ragnorak (or something)
6. Sword of the New World (Granado Espada)

The WORST is obviously RuneScape and MapleStory, for the first part RuneScape is darn laggy, and MapleStory darn "Mario". The rest are decent (maybe except Ragnorak, since that's old and Ragnorak II is coming out).
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I'm trying to remember some...

Aaaaaah...

2moons, not sure if its still free, though.
Conquer Online is alright, a large grind..
Silkroad is interesting, but not finished, if it hasn't been finished since I played it.
Martial Heroes had a wicked skill combo system, IIRC.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Hellgate, despite being a buggy unbalanced <insert a few more negative adjectives here> piece of crap is currently my favourite thing ever. It really is a shame that the servers are going down in a month.

edit: oops, missed "free"
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Shaiya is alright.
pintle

Post by pintle »

I cannot recommend Ultima Online enough. Its free, and its ancient.

Its sprite based, so will run on pretty much any rig you have going.

Its not a game for the casual "I want to form a big party and go and spend hours grinding for epic equipment" crowd: There are 2 realms on most servers, one which is pvp restricted, with much lower grade drops in exhange for "safe" hunting, whereas the other "facet" is open pvp anywhere (even in town, though you will get beaten down by the guards if you flag). This equates to a very pvp focused play style, where you have an incentive for killing people because you can steal their gear.

That and chop up their body, harvest their severed head, and add it to your trophy pile back at your guildhouse/castle/wooden shack/ship.

You can hit skill cap pretty quickly, especially if you are power playing it. This basically means that once you have set yourself up and got rolling with a decent character, you are as viable a prospect in pvp as someone who has been running their account for months or even years. The exceptions being a few rare pieces of kit that you can only really get through having a high level crafter/harvester or paying way over the odds, or artefacts gained through an extremely challenging dungeon called the Doom Gauntlet (nobody will go out and flag carrying artefacts: they would get chased down by a mob of lawful players, die and drop it).

If a steep learning curve, fugly graphics, and balanced and regular pvp appeal to you, I would really recommend UO.

I still have not found another mmorpg that lets me tame a dragon, then stand around playing a lute and hiding, with no direct damage skills whatsoever, while my dragon drops 4 PKers and I steal all of their gear ^^
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

9dragons is free and interesting, if you have no problem with paying if you get alot of fun then buy world of warcraft :wink:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

MAngband
Mangband.org wrote:What Is MAngband?

MAngband is a free online multiplayer real-time roguelike game, derived from the single player game Angband.

To win the game you must build up a character, selected from any one of 10 races and 6 classes, to be powerful enough to defeat Morgoth, Lord of Darkness, who lives in the dungeon 5000 feet below the surface of the town. As you work towards this near-impossible goal, you will chart unexplored dungeon passageways, do battle with legendary creatures, and find lost artifacts. And of course throughout your journeys you will encounter many other adventurers -- whether they be friend or foe is up to you to decide!
overkill

Post by overkill »

Archlord Online, or Neosteam.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

better read a good book (or 10) than play MMORPGs IMHO. and yes, i've lost several weeks of my life playing one, a mistake i won't make again. i hope.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Get guild wars prophecies, it's pretty cheap, free to play, and has plenty of content to keep you as busy as you need to be for an indefinite period of time.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I can't stand playing mmos for too long. I just can't keep going on them. Grinding is just too much work, so I don't play those games. Waste of time.
hamsate

Post by hamsate »

I just have a feeling to play some MMORPGs.. not get addicted to one. You know, casual gaming. I personally dislike grinding, too.

Thanks for all the suggestion guys.
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

EVE-online anyone? :-)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Columbus wrote:EVE-online anyone? :-)
Awesome, but not Free... I think Guild Wars, while he'll still have to buy the game, is probably what he's looking for.
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

I want an MMO that doesn't have stupid Wow-eqse level and grinding fests. Maybe like taspring construction mmo thing.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

[TS]Lollocide wrote:I want an MMO that doesn't have stupid Wow-eqse level and grinding fests. Maybe like taspring construction mmo thing.
Those things define MMO. I haven't seen one ever without leveling or grinding.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

EVE-Online doesnt really have grinding (not for skills anyway) you just need to wait until the skill is trained, and it trains the skill no matter what you are doing, killing npcs, taking a shit, having a shower whatever.

only real grind is for isk (money) and thats not much of a grind once you know what you're doing.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Pressure Line wrote:only real grind is for isk (money) and thats not much of a grind once you know what you're doing.
Grinding is repetitive action. Eve is full of grinding.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”