PlanetWars II - Page 2

PlanetWars II

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Pendrokar

Re: PlanetWars II

Post by Pendrokar »

It might only if KDR obeys all orders from CA devs! With no free will! :twisted:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Isn't THIS open sourced? Why does KDR have to be involved at all? other than crediting him for the original kit...
Rafal99

Post by Rafal99 »

What is it the whole "THIS"?
I expected it to contain a link or something, but there is nothing.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

THIS is the name of The Band on stage, i mean mod.
Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar »

Oh. Ups.

BTW how is replay system coming up or are there some uploaded on a site?
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Dedicated server does not store replays yet .. so not yet.. but its definitely in todo!
xyz

Post by xyz »

hi

What do you think of http://www.shatters.net/celestia/ as a galaxy renderer?
Gota

Post by Gota »

Troll Troll.
Last edited by Gota on 19 Dec 2008, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Gota would you please stop posting pitures of your parents all over the forum.

Celestia looks pretty cool :-)
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

It would be very intresting to see a space game with realistic proportions and physics (to the extent of our knowledge)...
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Would it? It would have to be non-real time surely? And communications would have to be glossed over. Or are you thinking 'local' battles e.g. in the vicinity of a single planet etc?
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Teutooni wrote:It would be very intresting to see a space game with realistic proportions and physics (to the extent of our knowledge)...
IMO it would be boring as fuck. No interesting FTL travel, no interesting ion-beam-laser thingies. Or shields. Or warp-holes. A map to scale would mean you never actually see the enemy ship, only dots. There would have to be built-in lag because information can only spread with speed of light, so you would both be seeing things later and your orders would take longer to get to troops. Probably 90% of unit death would be due to malfunctions and attrition anyway.

It would be hard to make a "radar" because enemies come at you from all around, and any enemy (or missile or laser beam or W/E) that moves at a sizable portion of the speed of light is very hard to notice head-on because it basically does not emit waves in the direction it is heading (their amplitude -> 0 as v -> c). So happy happy invisible missile time.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Teutooni wrote:It would be very intresting to see a space game with realistic proportions and physics (to the extent of our knowledge)...
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/
I have spent many hours of my life messing with this thing; tis good fun.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Obviously not in real time. Haha. :P

I'm thinking of something like imperium galactica, but with 3d (4d, actually), plausible fiction and realistic distances... Most of the time you'd go with at least a game week per rl second.

And BaNa, that's exactly my point, I'm bored as fuck of shields and warp holes and toothpaste-lasers travelling at sub-fucking-sonic speeds. Accelrating large payloads to near speed of light would be expensive too, but you are right. Most of the time you wouldn't have any time to react before a huge laser pulse hits your ship.

Anyway, for a multiplayer campaign I think realistic galaxy rendering is overkill.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Peet: that looks awesome!

Btw, there are somewhat realistic space shooters like I-wars. They do feature FTL travel and shields, but meh. Actually the shields are awesome, they require tracking and are more like point-defense weapons.
xyz

Post by xyz »

Hi
Peet wrote:http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/I have spent many hours of my life messing with this thing; tis good fun.
Unfortunately Oribiter is DX based and also it has been ded for quite a while.

As for Celestia it is not necessarily to stick to reality, we can have our own galaxy somewhere around the universe like this reproduction of the Star Wars universe: http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catal ... arwars.php
I also made some pictures (see attachments) and a video of how it would look like. Celestia could be used just as a Game Lobby and all the battles will take place in Spring.

Video:
http://www.trilulilu.ro/xyz32/137479e9facc3e
ta texture.jpg
(50.34 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
ta no clouds.jpg
(43.57 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
[EDIT]
How can i make the attachements visible to nonregistered users?
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

Faster than light space combat would be great, you'd select a fleet click attack and before your mouse button had finished popping up it would either be half dead and victorious or destroyed :)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

For something like IG2 you'd still run into the issue of lightspeed. You wouldn't be able to spot a fleet in interstellar space because the distances are so gigantic, you only see them when they pop up near your system.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Arm wins. Here is the award hall of fame.

quantum

Post by quantum »

Since the beginning, none could gain a clear advantage in large planet battles. Arm, however, gained the upper hand by clever galaxy-level strategy and 1v1 duels. In addition, Core could not bear the early loss of its homeworlds and attempted many daring and poorly planned fleet-carried invasions. Time and again, Core re-took the central planets but got cut-off, encircled and decimated without a fight.

The moment PRO_Day planted his flag on the last Core bastion, the galaxy imploded to a couple of lifeless planets. Both factions blame each-other for detonating an implosion device. Surviving Core commanders have escaped to the Dayda galaxy, Arm is in hot pursuit.

Don't miss the next campaign!

Galaxy map, just before the implosion (full size).

Slightly desynced replay of the campaign

Return to “General Discussion”