DWARF FORTRESS - Page 53

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by SwiftSpear »

It's not really good fantasy world simulation, but personally I'd like the game to be a little more responsive in terms of gameplay. If I have a booming overactive fortress it should be taken as a cue to send some dragons and giants my way.

"The game would be harder if you played a map with no water/metal/wood" isn't really a good argument, because the fantasy is epic battles between mega beasts and thriving civilizations and massive conflicts between civilizations. That's the draw of having several battalions of steel clad war dwarfs, towering fortifications, and elaborate traps.

Ya, there's definitely a game there in "can I survive?", you can have alot of fun playing that game, but we're talking about an engine that simulates pretty much everything in the entire game world, it shouldn't be restricted to just playing the etch out a fragile survivability game.

I know the game is moving that way already, I just wanted to state that I personally really don't see spawning your dwarfs in a more god forsaken location as the most entertaining way to scale the difficulty.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

SwiftSpear wrote:It's not really good fantasy world simulation, but personally I'd like the game to be a little more responsive in terms of gameplay. If I have a booming overactive fortress it should be taken as a cue to send some dragons and giants my way.
The nist akath fortress is a good example of this, with over 7 megabeasts coming to that fortress IIRC, to get more megabeasts in your world(and fortresses), Create a new world and change the value of megabeasts dead for stoppage (to something like 1%)
"The game would be harder if you played a map with no water/metal/wood" isn't really a good argument, because the fantasy is epic battles between mega beasts and thriving civilizations and massive conflicts between civilizations. That's the draw of having several battalions of steel clad war dwarfs, towering fortifications, and elaborate traps.
To me it isnt just about that, its about creating jaw dropping fortresses in even the most hard locations of the world you can imagine, if DF were to be only about epic battles against megabeasts and other civics, it would be a RTS.
Ya, there's definitely a game there in "can I survive?", you can have alot of fun playing that game, but we're talking about an engine that simulates pretty much everything in the entire game world, it shouldn't be restricted to just playing the etch out a fragile survivability game.
Did you read what i said in the post, if the game seems too easy, you can select a harder location where every resource, like metal or lava, isnt found, making your el1te steel clad legendary adamantium hammer-deathsquads a bit harder to get. But its up to you if you want the challenge or not.
Spawn_Retard

Post by Spawn_Retard »

Sleska, could we talk privatly about this game. I got into a few months ago, but i've forgoten everything lol

I'd really like to get good at this game, and maybe share it later on.

either PM me and ill give you my ingame tag, or hang out in the 1337 channel.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Theres a Channel in tasclient dedicated to dwarf fortress in #DF, you can find me there or send pm's , but i prefer using the tasclient ~~
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Sure, a huge supply of adamantium (well over 200 excavated, more deeper down the mountain) isn't very challenging, but then I start some ridiculously complex building operations, like forging a fort out of obsidian. I.e. pouring magma to a mold, then cooling it with water, repeating one z-layer at a time until 80*80*7 "cube" is formed, then carving a fort out of it. Overly-elaborate trap systems are fun too, I'm planning a mausoleoum over a bottomless chasm, with pressure plates linked to support pillars - when activated, the whole tomb would fall into the chasm. Challenging? Propably not. Fun? Definently.

I'll propably try some sinister glacier next, but for now I'm just exploring what the game can do.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Teutooni wrote:a mausoleoum over a bottomless chasm, with pressure plates linked to support pillars - when activated, the whole tomb would fall into the chasm.
Needs more giant boulders and fedora wearing dwarfs.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Heh, stupid armorer, I haven't found any metals in my mountain yet, but, of course, he goes off and decides he wants to produce something. I locked the door and stationed my 4 legendary champion wrestlers outside, when he went berserk, it took all of about 2 seconds for him to be struck down.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

ive finally got to my second year, late spring and i have a population of 36. population list:
2 miners
2 wood cutters
3 rangers
1 metalsmith
2 jewelers
6 craft dwarves
8 peasants
9 farmers
3 engineers

im hoping to recruit some of farmers and craft dwarves into hammer, wrestlers, spears and markdwarfs in the future awell as some traps.

edit: can someone run my through the basics of uploading a map on mk25?
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

pharoph wrote:edit: can someone run my through the basics of uploading a map on mk25?
A image showing the process~

to get the map compressor, visit this site
http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/dfmap-index.html

(straight link to the .zip file)
http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/DFM ... -3.3.2.zip

In case you didnt understand the picture, you'll have to press esc ingame and select export image, which will produce ~150mb pictures to your DF folder, then you put these images into SL's map compressor, which makes them ~200kb, then you upload the compressed file to the site and that's it
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Ballista -> Whoosh! And there goes five immigrants! :twisted:
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

just noticed if you have the trade depot dismantled when traders have unloaded when they leave they leave all their goods behind
Gota

Post by Gota »

Is anyone working on a 3d engine for DF?
And are there nice templates that are compatible with the newest release?for those of us who are not hardcore enough to get used to asci.
lurker

Post by lurker »

It's closed source.
Here is one nice tileset: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Just fought a black bear, and it was worse than fighting a goddamned DRAGON, wtf...
Also, since he liked to mangle my right arm and injure my left enough to make me drop shield and spear, I got a little revenge, as in, 700 messages of me biting the hell out of him, when I got this one, as well.
Mike tyson.PNG
(5.81 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

i'm in my second attempt to make a fortress and it works out this time, more or less. my dwarfs arent starving and im getting a constant addition on immigrants. my population is at ca.30 dwarfs atm. i want to make a well. ive read the guide in the wiki (http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Well_guide), but it explains how to make a well if there is a pond next to the well. but my pond is 1 level beneath the well level. do i have to pump the water up? will i flood my fortress if there will be a "channel" tile between the water and a corridor. what is a "channel" ? what does it look like in rl?

p.s. will the dwarfs tell me what they will be needing next, guide me into the right direction? atm they seem to be happy but they'd like to have a well so i thought once i get one another wish will replace the well. there are so many things i can do, im a bit confused about what i should do next.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

You don't have to pump the water up, just make sure there's a shaft from your pond to the well. a well can be as high above a water reservoir as you like (you can even see the bucket travel up and down across the z-levels when a dwarf is using it).

When you dig a channel, you basically mine out the level below and remove the floor, so a channel is just a trench. There's two things you need to watch out for:
  1. On the level below the one you dug the channel, the channel will look like an ordinary hallway. Don't accidentally dig into it if you're not planning on drowning your dwarves.
  2. Watch out for pressure. If you channel water from above into a reservoir, make sure you either control the amount of water channeled in by placing pressure plates, or make sure the water doesn't have any way of moving up again.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

can a channel and a dug out corridor run parallel next to each other? will water run through the channel without running over into the corridor? my point is ... how am i able to dig a channel if my dwarf aint standing next to it to dig it, can i do it from the floor above? maybe i still dont quite understand the process...
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

TheMightyOne wrote:can a channel and a dug out corridor run parallel next to each other? will water run through the channel without running over into the corridor? my point is ... how am i able to dig a channel if my dwarf aint standing next to it to dig it, can i do it from the floor above? maybe i still dont quite understand the process...
Imagine an imaginary layer between Z levels. This layer composes the floor/roof. Digging a channel removes this floor layer, and digs one z layer down. If you already have empty space 1 Z layer down it just digs the floor away. Basically, a channel is a basement hallway with no ceiling.

Channels aren't really a structure specifically for moving water around, it's simply a way of removing the floor/ceiling layer. You can just as easily run water through a tunnel with a ceiling.

Channels are most useful for controlling access to areas. Since DF creatures can't jump putting a channel in forces pretty much every creature to move around it (with the exception of some flyers). Makes for evil traps.
TheMightyOne

Post by TheMightyOne »

success !!! the well is placed and working :)

now im facing the next problem. i stored my craftworks in a bin. now there is this caravan, and i literally have like 4 tons of craftworks in a single bin, of course this is way too heavy for the caravan, id like to extract some of the stuff from the bin and sell it. is this possible? or do i have to extract stuff from the bin to stockpiles and then carry it back to the trade depot?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

if you put a bin in the trade depot, it's contents should individually list as tradeable items...

It did in the last version I played anyways.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”