DWARF FORTRESS - Page 52

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

1v0ry_k1ng

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

does anyone know what that exe was called for DF that opened a seperate window which gave all the adventurer-mode level of detail combat commentry in normal dwarf fortress mode? it makes combat well over 9000 times more interesting to watch

also, why arent you guys using the chipsets? the game is alot easier to play when creatures and dwarfs are represented by images
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:does anyone know what that exe was called for DF that opened a seperate window which gave all the adventurer-mode level of detail combat commentry in normal dwarf fortress mode? it makes combat well over 9000 times more interesting to watch

also, why arent you guys using the chipsets? the game is alot easier to play when creatures and dwarfs are represented by images
I don't find it any easier.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

My master armorer just got possessed yesterday; he hoarded a few platinum bars and locked himself up in one of my forges. Woot, platinum artifact! ... but I didn't get the mysterious construction -message - he just stood there for ages until he finally went insane, and died of thirst shortly after.

So I lost one of my starting members - a master armorer, and didn't get the artifact. Meh. I'll get over it.

Shortly after, a mason, also a starting member, gets the moods, locks himself up in the workshop... and goes insane too.

FFS :x

Is this intended behaviour? A known bug?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Teutooni wrote:My master armorer just got possessed yesterday; he hoarded a few platinum bars and locked himself up in one of my forges. Woot, platinum artifact! ... but I didn't get the mysterious construction -message - he just stood there for ages until he finally went insane, and died of thirst shortly after.

So I lost one of my starting members - a master armorer, and didn't get the artifact. Meh. I'll get over it.

Shortly after, a mason, also a starting member, gets the moods, locks himself up in the workshop... and goes insane too.

FFS :x

Is this intended behaviour? A known bug?
Intended behavior. An artifact isn't a guaranteed. When a dwarf gets in a mood they need to build the artifact they are dreaming about, and to do that they need access to all the base materials they want.

If you check a workshop while a moody dwarf has taken over it it will basically tell you outright what kind of material the dwarf is demanding. Sometimes it's not possible to meet the demands of the dwarf within the required time frame, if the material is buried somewhere in the mountain, or is something that requires you to trade in order to have access to (I think dwarfs will only demand materials they have seen before, so an uncultured fortress is less likely to have demands for strange exotic materials, but still not guaranteed)

If a dwarf goes into a mood and you can't get the material they need for them, it's a good idea to station some military presence outside of the workshop they are working in. Expecially for armed dwarfs, sometimes when they go insane they rage and start attacking everyone near them. Other times it's less vital and they just get depressed and commit suicide.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Makes sense, thanks. This is the first fort I've played this far into the game (summer of 3rd year) and haven't aquired many exotic materials yet.
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Always bring turtles instead of random meat. Turtles give you shells, which far too many moods require.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

Oh my god, lol, this game sounds awesome. bye bye spring, im going to make some insane dwarves.

/me cackles evilly
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Tribulex wrote:some insane dwarves.
You should read the story of Boatmurdered - an epic tale of elephant sieges, lava floods and pure insanity.

EDIT: And cheese.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

You should also read Nist Akath:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19279.0

157 pages of utterly amazing DF!
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Ok, started a new fort and I think I'm doing pretty good this time. Miners hit adamantine sometime early autumn on first year. Queen and dungeon master arrived early spring of third year. Fort value went from ~200 000 to ~1 890 000 in about two months when I started producing masterpiece adamantine furniture for the royalty. :)

And holy shit adamantine weapons/armor are expensive... I can have 9 furniture items for one platemail, not to mention the 10x fuel needed for smelter. I suppose they are worth it?
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Nothing to see here... Move along.
Last edited by Acidd_UK on 25 Nov 2008, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Acidd_UK wrote:Keep digging deeper and you might have a surprise...
Don't worry, I'll be ready for anything with an elite shock team of legendary hammerdwarfs clad in masterful adamantium platemails. Still need a legendary weaponsmith for the hammers, though...
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Teutooni wrote:
Acidd_UK wrote:Keep digging deeper and you might have a surprise...
Don't worry, I'll be ready for anything with an elite shock team of legendary hammerdwarfs clad in masterful adamantium platemails. Still need a legendary weaponsmith for the hammers, though...

Ohoh youre not ready for the frogs yet!
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Sleksa wrote:Ohoh youre not ready for the frogs yet!
Dug into a chamber full of melancholic folk and demons today... Weapon traps didn't seem to slow the demons down, but the 2 ballistas I had set up got a few. Anyway, adamantine hammers worked considerably better, smashing the frogdemons into 4+ pieces with a single blow. Casualties: a cat and some moronic furnace operator who tried to... Hell, I don't know what he was trying. A spirit of flame incinerated him when he charged the narrow corridor where my hammerdwarves were mopping up what was left of the demons.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

Teutooni wrote:
Tribulex wrote:some insane dwarves.
You should read the story of Boatmurdered - an epic tale of elephant sieges, lava floods and pure insanity.

EDIT: And cheese.
Holy fuckaroni yes, i shall do that.

must be awesome.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Been surviving for a few months on my first game in a while, nothing interesting yet. Just constructed 7 bedrooms, 7 beds/chairs/doors, etc, currently everyone is smoothing all of the walls over.

The only thing I don't like about this game is how you can't queue productions, and have all workshops capable of producing them producing them. I like not having to select a building to give it orders.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Snipawolf wrote:Been surviving for a few months on my first game in a while, nothing interesting yet. Just constructed 7 bedrooms, 7 beds/chairs/doors, etc, currently everyone is smoothing all of the walls over.

The only thing I don't like about this game is how you can't queue productions, and have all workshops capable of producing them producing them. I like not having to select a building to give it orders.
The fortress overseer queues productions... What do you mean?
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

U -> M(anager) -> Q ( new order) -> select order or type it for faster access, select how much you want work to be done, and thats it.

After you've done this, the dwarves with professions to do these jobs will automatically run into workshops/production places to do the work.
Been surviving for a few months on my first game in a while, nothing interesting yet. Just constructed 7 bedrooms, 7 beds/chairs/doors, etc, currently everyone is smoothing all of the walls over.
The thing why people say dwarf fortress is easy is because they usually start their fort in a mirthful area with the most dangerous things being pixies, and every possible resource being in the area.

If you want challenge, start a fortress in a haunted/terrifying permafrozen area with no trees, water,lava or other civs than goblins and come say the game is too easy again :P
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Even the most mirthful areas will become difficult after a few years but most people get bored by then.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Well, it wasn't mirthful, it was wilderness, but it wasn't too interesting mostly because I need to relearn the ropes.

Thanks for the tip sleksa, it'll be very useful.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”