Supreme commander 2 - Page 3

Supreme commander 2

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Re: Supreme commander 2

Post by KingRaptor »

They've made one side-scroll shooter (Einhander) and a number of turn-based strategy/RPGs (FFT, Front Mission series), but an RTS is kinda stretching it if you ask me.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Content creation, storyline, and sequences, possibly frontend. Thats what I think the main advantage is.

Knowing Chris Taylor, GPG will bring to the table tech, game play concepts, and experience.

Of course all those are arguably nonexistant in either company depending on who you talk to, but i think this is a good move.
Argh

Post by Argh »

My guess is that this is mainly about money, not about creative synergy. GPG blew a big chunk of change with Space Siege, and didn't exactly blow people's sales expectations away with SupCom.

Square is finally healthy and flush with cash again, and while SupCom II may or may not all that cool, my guess is that Square's people saw the tech in DemiGods and decided that GPG was a good bet for a solid hit.

I really doubt that Square's planning to run the creative end, frankly.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Hope they do, though. Can't be worse than the first SupCom. Dreary game.
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Well they know what to do and what not to do this time around, they have much more experience.

Let us hope they do better this time, and i swear if it doesn't run well on my quad core i will piss on CT's face for crap programming.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

clericvash wrote:Well they know what to do and what not to do this time around, they have much more experience.

Let us hope they do better this time, and i swear if it doesn't run well on my quad core i will piss on CT's face for crap programming.
Haha, of course Supcom 2 will require intel's super new over 9000 core processor to run with any decent frame rates.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I think the main reasoning is memory. Chris Taylor once commented he would love to add more units and factions but doing so would quickly result in issues with fitting it all into memory. I expect they're wanting 64bit stuff.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Well, i guess it is time to take out all those graphic stunners from the past, who never could get enough memory and try them again.. may the Lamez begin.. ... seriously i can add fourthousound new unbalanced Units to Chess - and get away with it by claiming, that the chessboards of today are simply not supporting my brilliant Gamedesign.. Epic Whale is blowing..
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

AF wrote:I think the main reasoning is memory. Chris Taylor once commented he would love to add more units and factions but doing so would quickly result in issues with fitting it all into memory. I expect they're wanting 64bit stuff.
Then I need a new hardware....... also is this is going to be one of the games that kills on average computers? If yes then, it's practically absurd that the developers think that average computers could handle this type of game that they're planing. I can't upgrade any more!
Zoy64

Post by Zoy64 »

Supcom 2? Im a huge fan of Supcom, so i would buy a sequel.

I was best with the Cybran, they're cool; but as we all know Core>Cybran--Krog>Spiderbot.

I worship Chris Taylor (and cookies) so i hope he doesnt disappoint me.

Supcom 2 will probably have heros as mentioned before, it will also probably have techs and units with buffs. Oh, and dont forget a race of vegetable people from Melvar 9 with a "Carrot of D00M!"
smoth

Post by smoth »

chris taylor is only a man.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

PicassoCT wrote:Well, i guess it is time to take out all those graphic stunners from the past, who never could get enough memory and try them again.. may the Lamez begin.. ... seriously i can add fourthousound new unbalanced Units to Chess - and get away with it by claiming, that the chessboards of today are simply not supporting my brilliant Gamedesign.. Epic Whale is blowing..
How do you come up with this sutff?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth wrote:chris taylor is only a man.
A man with balls of steel
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

You know, they're gonna do it the SC2 way:

Square
(storyline + Animeheros + good marketing through fanbase)

+ GPG
(balanced-RTS + Addons)

= RTS competion cult aka Cashmashine

All they need now is a soundtrack made by Linkin Park.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Sabutai wrote:All they need now is a soundtrack made by Linkin Park.
"But in the end..."
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

CarRepairer wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:Well, i guess it is time to take out all those graphic stunners from the past, who never could get enough memory and try them again.. may the Lamez begin.. ... seriously i can add fourthousound new unbalanced Units to Chess - and get away with it by claiming, that the chessboards of today are simply not supporting my brilliant Gamedesign.. Epic Whale is blowing..
How do you come up with this sutff?
Insanity the beautifull ;)
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

REVENGE wrote:
Sabutai wrote:All they need now is a soundtrack made by Linkin Park.
"But in the end..."
"Points of Authority" sports robotarmies and shiny glowy tentacles!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l4G5rRJK8U
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

AF wrote:I think the main reasoning is memory. Chris Taylor once commented he would love to add more units and factions but doing so would quickly result in issues with fitting it all into memory. I expect they're wanting 64bit stuff.
Maybe they should have cut one faction and added more units to the remaining ones then if they were really hardware-constrained.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

No, they meant if they added a 5th faction and more units. They've already pretty much pushed it as far as theyre willing to go already by adding forged alliance.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

cookies and dicks should NEVER be in the same sentence... Just, no.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”