I'm going to be buying this game... - Page 3

I'm going to be buying this game...

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Re: I'm going to be buying this game...

Post by SwiftSpear »

I'm not allowed to hype up for some things? Ever?

Seriously, it has coop, vehicals, epic sized enemies, large expansive worlds, and more guns than I can shake my willy at. By description, this is pretty much my fantasy game.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Go ahead an hype.

Me, i just dont want to be hurt again ):
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I didn't say you have to be hyped. I want to be hyped :P

[edit] Plus I'm trying to build a team of non retarded people to play with.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

SwiftSpear wrote:Plus I'm trying to build a team of non retarded people to play with.
Dammit, you just had to invoke that criterion...
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

There are a lot of guns, but you gotta persevere when it comes to willy shaking.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I'm not saying it's evil or anything that they try to make a story, I just think it's a boring, standard intro that really isn't something I'd miss.
SwiftSpear wrote:I'm not allowed to hype up for some things? Ever?

Seriously, it has coop, vehicals, epic sized enemies, large expansive worlds, and more guns than I can shake my willy at. By description, this is pretty much my fantasy game.
Please play some Earth Defense Force.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Hmm..I'll wait abit to see what you have to say Swift, when you get the game that is.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

KDR_11k wrote:Please play some Earth Defense Force.
The sidescroll shooter?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Sorry Swiftspear... it├â┼©s this Thing with Moderators and Hype... the same Reason a Refree shouldn├é┬┤t bet on Footballgames (even non-judgeged-by-himself ones) ;)

Seriesly why don´t they prerelease the Weaponcreator like the Sporecreaturecreator, if you can create so much..? Games differ in one thing from People, they need more then Screenshots or it didn´t happen..

Me demands Demo with Hanson, otherwise no Hyp-erspacejump because of Ionstorm..
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

SwiftSpear wrote:
KDR_11k wrote:Please play some Earth Defense Force.
The sidescroll shooter?
No, the third person shooters. There should be some videos on Youtube.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Play Global Defence Force, Earth Defence Force 2017 is pretty boring .
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Ohh i want this.. Too bad my computer is a horrible piece of shit when it comes to games :/
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Looks interesting, anything procedurally generated that looks that good is pretty impressive work.

I hope their procedurally generated stuff doesn't suffer the utter randomised-arbitrary-generic syndrome faced by games like Hellgate London and Diablo 2. I like games with weapons and other elements that have 'character'.

Like how Fallout 3's equipment don't have short descriptions/flufftext versus Fallout 1/2, which do have them.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Wolf-In-Exile wrote:Looks interesting, anything procedurally generated that looks that good is pretty impressive work.

I hope their procedurally generated stuff doesn't suffer the utter randomised-arbitrary-generic syndrome faced by games like Hellgate London and Diablo 2. I like games with weapons and other elements that have 'character'.

Like how Fallout 3's equipment don't have short descriptions/flufftext versus Fallout 1/2, which do have them.
The wierd thing is... fallout 3 guns aren't even procedural. There's like 8 small guns, 8 big guns, 8 energy weapons... and soforth. Yes, that's a lot of guns to make for a standard FPS... but if we're honest with our self, the hard part there is the modeling, the texturing, the animations, and the vertex calculations. The adding a weapon description to each weapon is adding like an extra hour for the writing team... if even.

I'm not expecting a character based identity for each gun in boarderlands... but there's 650000 of them. If they were to write an individual description for each one it would be an obscene amount of work for the writing team.

You can take the DF path and procedurally generate the name and rating of the gun, but I can't think of a good way that really makes that create a strong compelling story for each weapon. Not that I really care.

What I care about is that the weapons feel good. The shotguns kick right, the assault rifles recoil right, the SMG's spray right, the snipers drift right. All this stuff is completely possible to procedurally generate weapons that work. So I'm hoping it ultimately does work. If that's addressed then BL would have addressed the major problem with both stalker and HGL.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

You can take the DF path and procedurally generate the name and rating of the gun
This weapon is of highest human[alien?] craftmanship, on the weapon are pictures of weapons, the weapons are firing. On the weapon is a picture of *insert character* , the *insert character* is roaring on top of skulls, the picture relates to the acension of *insert character* to godhood

The weapon is menacing with spikes of obsidian
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

ZellSF wrote:Play Global Defence Force, Earth Defence Force 2017 is pretty boring .
It lacks Pale Wing but some of the new weapons are nice. I'm not sure what to think of the Firecracker nerf though, the things are a lot less nasty in 2017 but might have been overpowered in EDF2 considering they raped mechs, swarms and even flying swarms with little to no risk of killing yourself with an unlucky throw. Overall I got both games :P.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”