Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 147

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Re: Random WIP

Post by AF »

The walk cycle and the movement of the unit are not synced accurately enough, the unit is moving too fast and thus it looks like the feet are sliding forward when they're on the ground

Otherwise impressive
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Yes, it's rendering on top of existing units so the idea is to just use an empty model and this will render instead. The animations are not synced yet since I couldn't find a simple blender tool to change the speed without doing a lot of stuff, although I think it's possible.
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

I am very curious to see what the child will look like.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Zpock wrote:Yes, it's rendering on top of existing units so the idea is to just use an empty model and this will render instead. The animations are not synced yet since I couldn't find a simple blender tool to change the speed without doing a lot of stuff, although I think it's possible.
Just go into the keyframe viewer, select all and scale.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Keyframe viewer, you mean the actoin or NLA editor?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Dunno which is which, the one with the keyframe markers shown for the individual joints and frames for an action.
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

I've started to texture one of the hovercraft model I showed you some times ago. My goal is to learn how to include colors on a texture. For a start I took the Mr.D general color scheme :-)
The Texture is far from being done but that's a start ^^
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

why dont you just use a coloured metal thats yellow gray or red gray instead of blue gray or silver?
smoth

Post by smoth »

very interesting cremuss
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

I think this one is quite obvious(cockroach):
It still needs some tweaks 'n stuff.
Attachments
roachsnap2.jpg
roachsnap2.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
roachsnap1.jpg
roachsnap1.jpg (27.23 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
roachsnap3.jpg
roachsnap3.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

@ Columbus : nice 8)

http://cremuss.free.fr/3d/2008/tex2.jpg
http://cremuss.free.fr/3d/2008/tex4.jpg

Second try. Team color need more works and the metal texture is maybe a bit over pre-shaded ^^
Columbus

Post by Columbus »

Ooh that's nice, especially the neon team color!
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

that's why I said that the team color need works :mrgreen:
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Team colours need abit of shading.

Makes the model loose abit of the 3d affect..

Otherwise it looks awesome..

I like the colour on the front of it.. like that jade green or some sort of aqua?
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I think the biggest problem with your texture job is that there is no clear 'design'. You need to approach your texturing the same way as you approach your modelling. There should be a cohesive design that you are laying down on top of your model.

The general grey range of the texture, compined with what appears to be reasonably random placement of teamcolour makes the texture seem a hodge-podge, and while it is technically pulled off nicely in areas on close inspection, if you pull back and consider the unit as a whole, it doesn't have a cohesiveness in it's design.

Hope I'm making sense...
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

Warlord > True :roll:

Practice practice and practice... :-)
Argh

Post by Argh »

Just my opinion... it isn't so much an element of design, in the sense of the order of the objects, or greebles to give us the illusion of purpose, but mainly it's about color values. The grays and blue-greens are really noisy, and without different color hues to pick out the turret from the body, or more especially the rear cannon from the front turret, it's a very noisy model from a distance. That, and the design doesn't have a very clear "front" and "back", which is an important visual cue.

Just as an experiment, I'd suggest taking the body and doing some radical alteration of the hues there- make it yellow or red, something strong, brighter and warmer. See the difference it makes in terms of what details catch your eye, especially when you zoom out. The result will probably be horrible at first glance, but it'll demonstrate some things about how to keep a model from turning into noise at a distance.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

The turrets just look like theyre textures with transparency draw on flat quads, a little change might give them more substance and reflect them as they truly are
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

The current state of my work...

Hoi

Post by Hoi »

It'd be very cool if you make a seperate topic, with all the units shown up close, and explain what your game is about 8)

Return to “Art & Modelling”