DWARF FORTRESS - Page 51

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Muzic

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by Muzic »

Bartosh wrote:Had a Bad-ass hero in adventure mode, was legendary axe and armor user. i was killing cyclopes like nothing. but I made the mistake of walking to close to a rive. Carp jumped out pulled me into the water where him and about 4 others riped me apart.
Sweet jesus thats scary.
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

Bartosh wrote:I made the mistake of walking to close to a rive. Carp jumped out pulled me into the water where him and about 4 others riped me apart.
It's a common misconception that carp can pull you into a river. What actually happens is that your adventurer attempts to "dodge" the carp and jumps into the river instead. You can mostly avoid this problem by modifying your combat preferences so that your character will hold his position instead of trying to dodge all over the place. Your survival rate is much higher, IMO, when you don't have to deal with random unwanted movements.

Of course, if you want to survive falling into a creek then you must train your swimming skill first. Otherwise you'll drown in 6 inches of water and be unable to pull yourself out of the creek.
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

What actually happens is when you make eye contact with carp, the sheer fear they instill into you causes you to jolt, even if there is a river ledge right next to you.
Bartosh

Post by Bartosh »

El Idiot wrote:What actually happens is when you make eye contact with carp, the sheer fear they instill into you causes you to jolt, even if there is a river ledge right next to you.
I can understand why
SinbadEV

Irony and Fluid Dynamics

Post by SinbadEV »

Built this great pump, lifts (will lift) water 16 tiles vertically using waterwheel power... ended up needing over 200 power which I need to get from a brook like 50 tiles away and past a volcano... I tell you those dwarves better appreciate running water in the grand hall( might end up spreading it to some luxury suites when I get it to the right height... anyways the Axel passed through the well shaft so now I have to build a bypass for the walking part... anyways... then the baby woke up and needed a bottle and I overfilled the bathroom sink filling it to warm the bottle while I was tending to her.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

ivegotto say that ive found my great location!
its has a volcano,brook,heaps of leveled space,trees, wildlife,sand,plants, no aquifers its not to big or to small i found the best location ever and im going to build a hell of a system to get brook to my castle and acutaly have water near to me. anyone know how to build a dam?
manored

Post by manored »

Make a big wall of things that block water with floodgates :) Actually you probally should check wikip├â┬®dia since I have the faint impression there was water pressure that could break the walls if you pressed then too much, but I dont remember.
SHAD0Wdump

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

So,has anyone been able to connect in the past day or two?

The main site seems to be down,enough reason for me to worry.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

pharoph wrote:ivegotto say that ive found my great location!
its has a volcano,brook,heaps of leveled space,trees, wildlife,sand,plants, no aquifers its not to big or to small i found the best location ever and im going to build a hell of a system to get brook to my castle and acutaly have water near to me. anyone know how to build a dam?
Do build a dam, you have to drain a river, either with rerouting or by just pumping the area you immediately want drained with 2 waterwheels, and then built the dam piece you want in that place. It takes a fair bit of work one way or another.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

If water freezes in winter it's really easy to build a dam... I havn't had much luck.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

SinbadEV wrote:If water freezes in winter it's really easy to build a dam... I havn't had much luck.
Mmm, yes, if you have the fortune of being able to work with ice, just dig out the area you want dammed, and build the dam out of whatever you want.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

SwiftSpear wrote:
SinbadEV wrote:If water freezes in winter it's really easy to build a dam... I havn't had much luck.
Mmm, yes, if you have the fortune of being able to work with ice, just dig out the area you want dammed, and build the dam out of whatever you want.

Build a dam out of ice!
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

Sleksa wrote:
SwiftSpear wrote:

Build a dam out of ice!
i should do that and see if it melts XD
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Now I want a way to refrigerate a room so I can make/keep ice statues :/
manored

Post by manored »

I dont think you can control temperature in DF, but maybe if you make a HUUUUGE tower and put the statues on top of it... :)
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

So,has anyone been able to connect in the past day or two?
The main site seems to be down,enough reason for me to worry.
According to the Dwarf Fortress Wiki, Toady is currently searching for a new hosting provider due to chronic downtimes. There is a temporary Dwarf Fortress forum available at an alternate location.
SHAD0Wdump

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

The wiki... why didn't I think to check the wiki...
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

ftw, magama fountain? you could make a magma creature zoo instead!
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

manored wrote:I dont think you can control temperature in DF, but maybe if you make a HUUUUGE tower and put the statues on top of it... :)
You can heat things with magma, just there isn't really a good reason for heating things, as there really is no middle ground for any objects between "OMG BURNING!" and "normal normal". But rooms with magma in them do maintain a higher average temperature, and it does raise the temperature of the objects in the room.
RogerN

Post by RogerN »

You can heat things with magma, just there isn't really a good reason for heating things
There is one exception. Players who are crazy enough to embark on a glacier can use magma to melt the ice. Magma will melt any ice in the level above, providing you with precious water for irrigation.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”