FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: THIS (WIP 7 release)

Post by FLOZi »

How unfortunate for you. The majority of us don't. :wink:
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Hmm, I guess that's becaus I didnt disable that new lua resource bar then, and when I disabled it I got the old bar :(
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Could you implement the normal build queue interface? It's annoying that to make a space station while stalling all the carrier's build queues have to be canceled. The ship has to not start construction if it has been given a wait order. It would also be useful if alt queue insertion worked (alt while not repeating puts the unit at the start of the queue, alt while repeating makes the unit the next to be built and isn't repeated). Alt isn't really needed but it would be good.
Agon

Post by Agon »

Could you scale down the "Imperator"?
It is a very huge ship.

Oh and I always get sync errors. Don't know if it's because of Spring, host (PostSpringie4) or your mod. Oh or because I used cmake to build Spring.
The rest of the players get them later in the game.
But in the end all are not synced.
Last edited by Agon on 16 Oct 2008, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Imperator would pwn deathstar simply by falling on it!
It really is too huge :)
Agon

Post by Agon »

Mostly my armies are flying all together through space like nomadic people.
A bit more stagnation would be interesting and could stretch the play time.
Currently I setup a strategy of which units and special abilities I pick and start producing units while capturing planets I fly to the enemy. Meat them and fight them.
After one fight game is over, one side wins. It makes several times fun but it gets boring. Yeah, with new units/ features which get in new releases it gets interesting again for a few games. But I can't see a special long time motivation.
I don't know maybe it is your goal to have a short game which someone plays between other games to calm down :roll: .

I have some suggest:
What about a different race? Alien race maybe?
I could also image colonizing planets and building orbital defense or hangars to stretch the play time and get away from one fight and game over.
Improving the graphic effects maybe. I don't mean the models, they have a special taste :mrgreen: I mean laser, rocket, engine effects. Maybe some shader effects added?
Ashnal

Post by Ashnal »

You could make the imperator seem smaller without actually making it smaller. Suppose you make the other ships slightly bigger and slightly faster, then make THISspace into something like a 24x24 map with more planets. Then the imperator is still fricken huge but doesn't seem like it.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

The problem now is, that 2 coms meat each other too easy, and that will result in a win for one of the 2 teams, what about also giving a planet to a player with some kind of immobile space station? I guess that'd make it interesting.
Agon

Post by Agon »

Hoi wrote:The problem now is, that 2 coms meat each other too easy, and that will result in a win for one of the 2 teams, what about also giving a planet to a player with some kind of immobile space station? I guess that'd make it interesting.
Like I wrote planets are currently only good for credit income. You setup a space station to increase the income and fly away to the next planet. So planets are not very interesting. Expanding a planet with infrastructure makes it a more valuable target than your main fleet because you could still setup a army after your main fleet dies.

Increasing other ships scale is not good because bigger maps require more resources from your computer.
And we do not have that much space maps and not 24*24 (I guess).
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You want an immobile base with defenses and hangars? Well, guess what the Imperator is? Okay, it's barely mobile...

No, I will NOT scale the game up to make the Imperator smaller, it's this size precisely because it should be huge compared to the regular game. It's a flying base and it's sized as such. The turret density is low but the overall number is fairly high so the thing can be outfitted to perform various tasks but never focus so much firepower that it's unstoppable (not that I've seen many cases where people actually killed a fully armed and operational Imperator without using their own, it's not terribly hard if you can approach from the side).

There won't be more factions. There are already too many factors to balance. Just consider the perks the building blocks of your faction.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

after a few games i start to think that swords + emp + mass drivers + improved production speeds are kinda OP; especially when there's some micro involved to keep groups of small ships stunned.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Yeah, I'm planning on a nerf for massdrivers. Not sure what to do about EMP, maybe I should change it to just locking up the target's weapons but not its movement?
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Update?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Nothing so far. Seems 78.1.1 didn't break much though (only the drones cause a COB warning).
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

YAHOOOO EPIC BUMP

I've put together a chicken mode for THIS, made some other enhancements, and bundled them into a new third-party version, THIS WIP8 KRE:
<link nuked>

EDIT: TORPEDOES DESYNC IN BOTH WIP7 AND WIP8, DO NOT PLAY ONLINE
Changelog wrote:
  • Added Defenders of the Galaxy (aka chicken) game mode. Protect your planets from the space invaders and destroy the carrier when it warps in.
  • The number of selectable perks is now a mod option.
  • Removed the formation gadget; it had no particularly useful functionality that I could discern and it was blocking CustomFormations.
  • Fixed Imperator turret building (thanks to KDR for identifying the problem).
  • Public Support now gives 1 planet (occupied by capship) worth of base income (instead of a flat +20/s), increases Starbase output by 20% (which is +5 with normal settings). The extra income isn't visible, but it's there.
  • EMP Missiles now only does 1.75x as much EMP damage as normal damage (previously it was 2x normal damage).
  • Added Land Fly widget by Evil4Zerggin (only really affects /give and start of game).
  • Renamed Bomber Control Ship to Chu-ke Nu
  • Fixed drone script errors
  • Fixed longbow description to note the mag-shield.
It hasn't been tested in an MP game, so there may be a lot of bugs - let me know here if you find any. I also want to know if you find chicken too easy; I may add an Extreme difficulty level.

Known issues:
  • Torpedo desync error
  • Mass drivers don't fragment.
  • Mag-shield perk is broken due to luadefs (fixed in WIP9).
  • Sometimes torpedoes give a lua error when their target is killed before they get there.
  • Defenders of the Galaxy mode doesn't end when the flagship is killed, you have to hit resign manually to see the endgame screen.
  • Chicken panel default position is bad, and it doesn't remember where it was, so you have to drag it out of the way at the start of each game.
  • Need a replacement chicken panel image.
Currently the chicken queen is just a carrier with extra HP and some perks. I'll give it the new battleship when I'm done with it (which is possibly never).

Obligatory screenshot:

If you are unprepared, Hard Mode will kick your ass. Hint: Use the gravidar or trace enemy attack vectors back to their origin and destroy the starbases before it's too late.
Last edited by KingRaptor on 12 Oct 2009, 13:13, edited 3 times in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Id like to suggest a command for ships to move up and down not just in 2d.
Something similar to Homeworld 3d movement.
KingRaptor
Zero-K Developer

Post by KingRaptor »

Oh, man. Torpedoes cause desync (happens in WIP7 too). Mass drivers are also broken (they don't fragment).

Wonder what the cause is...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Gota wrote:Id like to suggest a command for ships to move up and down not just in 2d.
Something similar to Homeworld 3d movement.
Ugh, no. That just confuses players.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

It seems half the ships don't have auto-move commands (as in, when selected, Move isn't activated; have to press M).
Dotz

Post by Dotz »

yeah, some ships just don't get out of eachothers way.

also: should a flying base build stuff?

Return to “Game Releases”