Starcraft 2 split into three games??? - Page 3

Starcraft 2 split into three games???

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Starcraft 2 split into three games???

Post by smoth »

Well, you are not as awesome as Killfuck Soulshitter.
^drama for mello.

I am against one game sold as three parts.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I could see this working only if they did the addon idea, just include the campaign data with the addon, but leave everything else in the first game, along with dropping from 50 dollars to 20-30 dollars, or less.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Death Dragon wrote:
smoth wrote:swift: :evil: ;)

and zpock. I already said this is NOTHING like dawn of war.

In the dawn of war expansions we would get 2-3 NEW FACTIONS a new campaign, with new items for characters etc. Hell the campaign styles would even change, the last two were about taking over the world.

NOT EVEN COMPARABLE!
So you already know what's going to be in the StarCraft expansions?
Hell, not even Blizzard knows that.

How about you calm down and wait till the expansions are released?
Then you can bump this thread and scream around for real reasons not because of theories.
That's not the point smoth is making. Blizzard is maximizing profits. They have looked at what they are doing, and said, "this is alot more work than starcraft 1 was, if we keep the current size team it's going to take 3 years, lets release it in parts so we don't have to invest more, and can split up the title shipments and force people to buy the same game multiple times". As a company, blizzard makes nearly a billion dollars a year in World of Warcraft subscriptions alone, the point smoth is making, is that blizzard can affort to hire the people needed to make the full lenght game faster, and make the full length game as a single title. But they are prioritizing keeping the game construction costs down, and increasing revenue from the project over serving their customers to the highest degree.

Smoth isn't complaining that the games will be too short, or underdeveloped because they are being split up, he's complaining because fundamentally what they are doing is greedy.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Yes, Swift, that is exactly what I am sad about. I talked to a co-worker about what is happening. Blizzard was my last bastion of hope for the game development community. They were all about integrity, quality and providing the user with the maximum experience. It breaks my heart to see them do this and makes me sad that I almost went for game development. I genuinely felt my heart drop when I read the news.
Death Dragon

Post by Death Dragon »

How many people are working on StarCraft 2?

If StarCraft 2 had all three campaigns in the main game we would have 90 missions with a lot of cinematics and other stuff.
Isn't that a bit too much for just one game?

(Hmm can a campaign be "too" long?)
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

I don't think think can hire unlimited amounts of to them useful people just by throwing money at it either. Notice they always do seem to have a bunch of positions for hire on the website.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Stop making excuses, they whole libraries of features, a proper editing tool, probably a whole team of artists constantly making new feature models. I promise you every level is NOT unique and entirely all new content. It might take 4-7 hours per level then some testing. Possibly producing one level a day, unless you think their people suck dick that much.

It is a greed decision. They know they could have held off the release and instead released it all as one but they want to get to the money. Again, the old model was when it is done, now it is, realsing on X, buy more starcraft product. Samwise, once stopped an artist on a model and asked him what he was doing, the guy responded, making a rock. He then asked the modeler, is that the best rock you can make and the guy thought about it and started a new one. That was old blizzard. Whatever, you guys would probably even happily accept drm but kick and scream about it on any other game.
Death Dragon

Post by Death Dragon »

smoth wrote:They know they could have held off the release and instead released it all as one but they want to get to the money.
Didn't Blizzard say they don't want to delay any releases anymore?

And nobody has to buy the expansions.
The main game has even it's own online servers so you can still play online.
smoth

Post by smoth »

no
Bartosh

Post by Bartosh »

as long as it isn't completely changed to make it fit better as a prequel for there next mmorpg ill be happy.
really don't want to see a world of starcraft. as much fun as it would be to grind space boars.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Blizzard Activision is serving the shareholders first smoth, EA proofed that this Business Modell worked best. So we get Simcraft with loads of useless Addons. Epic Market Phail is leaving only Spring standing on the "Whenit´sdoneHill"

I am Tired, a woke up at 3 in the Morning, and now the Elephants are coming to take me away... bis Moin..
smoth

Post by smoth »

I know picasso, I am just butthurt about it.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

A complaint I've read was that because the singleplayer campaign is mostly a tutorial for multiplayer that means you only get a tutorial for one of the factions.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah most players will play terran when sc2 comes out because they have a nice training course to learn a faction so naturally most people will go with the spaec mariens
El Idiot

Post by El Idiot »

I didn't know you could make an RTS episodic.

Fortunately, I didn't like Blizzard all that much to start with.
Death Dragon

Post by Death Dragon »

Here's a picture from one of the Blizzcon 08 conferences.
Blizzard wanted to make an extensive campaign but they can't just make it without delaying the game and everything.
So they had these options:

Blizzard chose option B splitting the campaign into the expansions.
(The audience really liked this decision. Before Blizzard said which option they had chosen, they asked the audience what they wanted and everyone was for B.)

Edit:
Forgot to say that Blizzard is not going to put any cliffhangers in the campaigns.

Edit2:
And they said something about minicampaigns of the other factions in the maingame.
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

Those 3 choices are highly manipulative. They are made in a manner that you might believe 'b' is best. Why would I want a campaign that is more extensive than that of SC1?

Blizzard is in it for the money. Can't blame them. But they won't see any of mine for SC2.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

So they will have three campaigns although small? So what is then the Point of naming the following epic Addons Parts of the MainGame? Avoiding harsh judgment on the small Greedy Spawn Version? As long as the Game is not complete, you can´t damn it for all time...

Let me guess 50 $ for Maingame. 35$ twice for two Addons, makes suma Sumarum 120 $, you could get two Full Games for that + a normal Addon.

I feeld /b/ineappled like little Nickys Hitler.

Fuck Blizzard, where are the Deamontools. Epic Suicideselfkick from the RTS Market.

& Leaked Conference Info is le)f(aked.
Death Dragon

Post by Death Dragon »

I'm not sure what those minicampaigns are going to be.
PicassoCT wrote: & Leaked Conference Info is le)f(aked.
I don't know if it's leaked. (Doesn't Blizzard have live streams of their Blizzcon stuff?)
But it sure isn't fake.

You guys still don't have to buy the expansions.
The campaign is as big as the StarCraft 1 campaigns and it won't have a cliffhanger.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

You don´t need the one big Cliffhanger- that is a outdated concept, you have many minicliffhangers, charakters who have a intersting development and then disappear, shure the Mainstory ends- but what about the Queen of Blades, what about this, and that... oh shurely the Mainstory is as finnished as a moder Plot can be (to revive the Main evil a drop of blood, a wrong word or a eletric bolt is always enough)... to make it short, the story (&theentertainment) never ends (which is okay), but this ripoffs are to close together..

Let´s troll Blizzard into one big Game, that will arrive even after the Duke has been shipped ;)

Print a great

A) is my Option, Supersize for me, I can stand the Timedillation for little luxurys.

and send it to:
Blizzard Entertainment
P.O. Box 18979
Irvine, CA 92623

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”