Starcraft 2 split into three games???

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

j5mello

Post by j5mello »

http://pc.ign.com/articles/918/918895p1.html

Blizzard is planning to release each races campaign as a separate boxed game. Supposedly this allows them to bring each campaign up to the level of the original in terms of content. First up is the Terrans, to be released sometime next year (but before Diablo 3). Also this version will have all 3 side available for MP. The Zerg one is slated for year after, and after another year the Protoss one.

So is this Blizzard finally taking it's money making strategies developed in the MMO world and bringing it to the RTS market? Or is this really the only way they can make the game the way the want it to be?
SinbadEV

Re: Starcraft 2 split into three games???

Post by SinbadEV »

If the full multi-player game is included in the first version (article said it would) then an episodic storyline is nothing new for a blizzard RTS (SC and WC2 both had expansions with minor game adjustments and major story advancement). It would be nice if they do have game changes in each version that those game changes be made available to people who have earlier copies so they don't splinter their multi-player market.
smoth

Post by smoth »

it is bullshit and they are milking you people. Enjoy getting ripped off.
Death Dragon

Post by Death Dragon »

Why is every news site unable to see that Starcraft 2 isn't split into three games but is getting 2 add-ons?

Everyone is making such a big story out of that ...
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Why is every news site unable to see that Starcraft 2 isn't split into three games but is getting 2 add-ons?
Well we can't know that dividing the game into 3 parts is going to result in starcraft II and 2 new broodwar-addons for it (or frozen throne for wc3)

also, judging from their previous rts'es, their addons have always provided a lot of content (new (and) neutral heroes, new units, spells, campaigns, items more things added in map editor for wc3)

And like they've said (and we've seen from the first ever broadcasted sc II match in blizzcon) , all races will be present in the multiplayer, which is prolly th reason why 99% of the people are buying it (ie the whole s-korea)
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Death Dragon wrote:Why is every news site unable to see that Starcraft 2 isn't split into three games but is getting 2 add-ons?

Because it's getting split into 3 games. The original star craft had 3 campaigns, terran, zerg, and protoss. This one will have only terran.

I understand why Blizzard is doing this, and I can appreciate the huge amount of work they are putting in... but if they think the comunity is ready to accept 1 triple A game, suddenly mutating into 3 triple A games, they are on drugs. All of the casual players who liked starcraft, but weren't addicted, they won't pay $50 three times, and most of the competitive players won't pay for a single player campaign they don't need for multiplayer. There is NO marketability of this project as 3 triple A titles.
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

I imagine it'll be Dawn of War-ish in that each of the three "games" will be able to play with each other on their own.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

If they sell all three for $50, No one will buy game 2 or three... if they offer a hefty discount for people owning prior games when buying subsequent games maybe. To be honest Unless a miracle happens I'll have to wait until the Three-in-One Battle Chest is out to have enough money to buy the game and a computer that can play it.

My preference would be for them to sell the extra campaigns as "this requires the original" expansions and then charge less for them. (like $20 for each expansion)
Evil4Zerggin

Post by Evil4Zerggin »

imbaczek wrote:I imagine it'll be Dawn of War-ish in that each of the three "games" will be able to play with each other on their own.
OP link wrote:each StarCraft II game will have a fully functioning multiplayer suite with all three races playable.
I'm not going to judge until it comes out. In any case, I have more troubles with time than money.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Fact of the matter is they have a game, it is complete but they are going to then break it into 3 peices to get the optimal profit. At least the dow stuff was expansions not just content that should have come with the fucking thing. IN BEFORE BLIZZARD NEEDS A PROFIT!

They have wow and wow prints money more than the WII/DS. They are going to alienate the fans, make the story feel disjointed(play game beat it get 2nd part months later). This isn't about more content this is about milking a story and hoping players are stupid enough to buy all three games.

AND THEY ARE THAT STUPID.

I may have gone corporate instead of doing games after college, but I did it because I wanted to feel good about my work. Games no longer promote healthy attitudes and they are all about maximizing profit margins, they promote violence and drug use. Now they also are working off of the same god awful method that CCGs and the POKEMAN games did.

FUCK THAT I DO NOT WANT STARCRAFT DIAMOND! They are just pixels people, if you cannot pickup a game and have fun then you need to shoot yourself in the leg with a nail gun. People ruin their lives in games like wow, sorry guys, I cannot go out, I have to get this rare armor set in a raid... fucking loser, stop chasing pixels and come with us, ogle some tits and maybe, just maybe, you'll get to touch a REAL woman!

The developers have realized that people are stupid enough to buy the story in episodes. Hl2. If you are buying starcraft II that is fine, if they want to release an expansion, starcraft II: the penis insurection, FINE! but don't fragment the game to milk us. This isn't dawn of war, we are not getting 1/2 factions we are getting the STORY of a faction. FUCK THEM!
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

o_o
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

it's a madhouse! A MADHOUSE!
lurker

Post by lurker »

You're upset about the HL2 episodes costing $25 total? And I don't see anything wrong with coming out with a Pokemon game every couple years, but the CCG, like most, got way out of hand.
This is clearly bad unless they honestly do have as much content as the first game in each box, which actually sounds like it could be worth paying the triple price.
Death Dragon

Post by Death Dragon »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Death Dragon wrote:Why is every news site unable to see that Starcraft 2 isn't split into three games but is getting 2 add-ons?

Because it's getting split into 3 games. The original star craft had 3 campaigns, terran, zerg, and protoss. This one will have only terran.
Yes StarCraft 1 had three campaigns but the StarCraft 2 terran campaign is as big as all three old campaings together.
(30 missions + that adventure stuff aboard the Hyperion)

Here's an extract from a german interview:
GameStar: Do you plan to release the episodes as full-price titles? Or will they be in the price range of addons?
Browder: At the moment we are thinking of the first episode as a full-price title, after all it contains the fully playable multiplayer mode. The other chapters are currently considered normal addons, whose exact price is yet to be determinded. We are orienting our pricing policy on the extensiveness of each episode. If the extent is that of an addon it will be priced accordingly. The price is completely dependent on the quality and scale of the game, anything else would be nonsense. At the moment I assume that each episode will bring the amount of improvements an addon normally does and therefore it will cost the same.
He's pretty much saying that those additional games are indeed addons.

And smoth, Blizzard is splitting up the campaign so they have enough time to make it really good and don't have to delay the release of the main game so please don't scream around.
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

This is madness!

Well if they really split the story like that they have one customer less because I would have bought it for enjoying the story (as I don't like click-intensive games for competitive playing)...
smoth

Post by smoth »

DeathDragon:
smoth wrote:They have wow and wow prints money more than the WII/DS. They are going to alienate the fans, make the story feel disjointed(play game beat it get 2nd part months later).
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

The only difference from SC1/Broodwar is that instead of having the story split in 3+3 separate race campaigns its split in 1+1+1, what's the problem? It just means you get bigger chunks of story based around one race at a time instead of 3 small chunks each time? Only reason to be upset is if you'r a zerg or especially protoss fan I guess, and have to wait so long.
smoth

Post by smoth »

smoth wrote:Random defender of this bullshit:
smoth wrote:They have wow and wow prints money more than the WII/DS. They are going to alienate the fans, make the story feel disjointed(play game beat it get 2nd part months later).
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

How is this different from playing 3 campaigns in the original and then another 3 in the expansion as was the case with SC1? The story was just as split.
SHAD0Wdump

Post by SHAD0Wdump »

Please,blizzard,don't go the path of EA.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”