Long Term Motivation - Page 2

Long Term Motivation

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

[TS]Lollocide

Re: Long Term Motivation

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

Hoi wrote:what about working with clans?
That seems like a good ide....hahahahaha....

No really, joke thread's are that way ->
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

How about a claimed Planet/Starsystem is challenged for about 4 hours, and taken if noone of the other side is willing to fight for it... What you need is a Historyoption, which updates you upon lobbyentry how the Frontline-moved during your "Inative-Times"..

PS: It would be cool, if for especially spectacular wins, you could have a Chance to get some Display of your coolnes, for example give a Planet it´s Name, burn your Victorydate into the Moon - or at least have in the Battlenewsletter your Name mentioned...

I do not denie that such a Metagame, needs hard work beta-ballancing it.. so it is not only programmerswork, but also good-Moddesigner workship needed .. lucky we have a Supplystock on the Springboard;)

Now for somethingelse.. will the Metagame be 3D- or 2D?
manored

Post by manored »

2D with crazy connections? :)
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Questions is how to make it Noobsafe, so they don´t get frustrated that much.. Would be cool if they could click a InstantDefend a Planetbutton- and could get teamedup withother Noobs ...
manored

Post by manored »

I suppose a noob shouldnt espect to be able to capture a planet or hold it for long until he stops being one :)
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

Hey this is epic COOL!

I think players should get a chance to choose their pace:

-at the beginning they should set a category: slow-medium-fast, and based on this category they have a certain number of "moves" (attacks or challenges) in a day/week, but the faster gameplay they choose the less time they get to respond to challenges, and the more people can challenge them at once.

An example:

Bill is experienced and plays real often, so he sets the category to fast. He can attack up to 5 planets a week, but he only has 48 hours to respond to threats and up to 4 challenges can be issued to him at the same time, so he has to watch out.

Rory on the other hand is a casual gamer who can play a few hours on the weekend. He chooses slow. He can attack 1 planet per week, but he also has 1 week to respond to threats and can only be threatened by 2 people at the same time.

like? obviously the numbers are placeholders, that can be changed.

also, maybe the players could specify a time that suits them, and challengers can only issue challenges near that time? So for instance i usually play at 24:00 GMT, so people can issue challenges to me between 22:00 GMT and 02:00 GMT?
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

A 3rd party team made something like this for supcom. It would be worth trying to get hold of their code, imo, and applying it to Spring.

http://www.galactic-war.net/index.php
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

This sounds really cool. I suggest it is made to be clan-based. If a clan owns a planet, there is far more chance that at least one clan member is online to accept challenges and thus allow these fancy rules to be less complex. Clans would be encouraged to recruit people from many timezones this way. Considering there are already so many active clans, I don't see why not.

And if ladder system can communicate to the mod/engine who owns the planet, we could totally burn the clan name into the terrain :-)
Sertse

Post by Sertse »

Wow ..wow. Implement +1

Clan based is prob better though for reasons in the post above me.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Why has it to be clan-only based? It could be both- Clanempires would be more sucessfull, while the join-for-free-empires could make more Games... as lang as there is no clan-jade falcon going for the whole inner sphere, everything should work out fine ;)

I would hate a Clan only Metagame.. it´s quite ugly elitism :)
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

How about havinglong term motivation come from playing a really fun game? Though I'm not saying the planet combat idea isn't good.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

PicassoCT wrote:I would hate a Clan only Metagame.. it´s quite ugly elitism :)
I agree.
Let the empires correspond to the actual sides of the mod. There's no reason why we couldn't have multiple meta games running for multiple mods anyway.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Sorry, to noise around, but Long Term Motivation is never kept up- by having only a good Game. It is kept up by a) supportive Comunity, bringing Maps, Mods etc into a Game b) constant addon, content& sequelstream c) nostalgia d)or RPG-Elements (also know as the you hamstered Stats back there, don´t give them away-effect)
[TS]Lollocide

Post by [TS]Lollocide »

Michilus_nimbus wrote:
PicassoCT wrote:I would hate a Clan only Metagame.. it´s quite ugly elitism :)
I agree.
Let the empires correspond to the actual sides of the mod. There's no reason why we couldn't have multiple meta games running for multiple mods anyway.
More of the same game means less players on average in that game, I don't see why anyone would be opposed to clan-based metagame since its not like you have to spend money or time making a clan, its /rename [clan]blah.

Alternatively, you could have it where if you are part of a clan and you want to play, the planet is a 'clan' planet where any clan member can play to defend it from a single player or another clan.
Teutooni

Post by Teutooni »

Haha, minor mods could raid a BADSD planet and change the mod, effectively holding the map hostage until someone learns their mod! Awesome! :P

That is assuming a planet equals a map.
Sabutai

Post by Sabutai »

DSD and CC must be the most connected then.
Gota

Post by Gota »

This idea pwnz.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”