DWARF FORTRESS - Page 50

DWARF FORTRESS

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

pharoph

Re: DWARF FORTRESS

Post by pharoph »

50 pages! w00t!

but seriously, back to topic. it seems that i have TO MUCH food. i will focis my production on other things like build a windmill, building a well, finihing my bed room halls, (just note that i STILL dont have an anvil which is gay) funiture placing, barracks, meeting hall, office, trianin my soilders, making a clear path for the caravan, blaa blaa blaa.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

Michilus, change the entrance to your fortress (where you have 2 cage traps) into 2 or 3 tiles wide, as it is the dwarves have to climb over each other in 1 tile corridors, making pathfinding harder (lowering your fps) and the dwarves move slower
manored

Post by manored »

A lot of food can fit in a few barrels, so you just need a lot of barrels and a lot of storage space for it. Having excess food means you might not need to increase production then more imigrants arrive, at least not with haste I suppose :)

If you came winhout an anvil you have to buy one. If the merchants dont bring an anvil the next time they come you can increase the priority of it then they make the import agreement, that will increase the chances of they bringing one but also increase the price. I havent checked but I think iron anvils are still as good as steel anvils, so dont but the steel one wich is more expensive.
Michilus_nimbus

Post by Michilus_nimbus »

Sleksa wrote:Michilus, change the entrance to your fortress (where you have 2 cage traps) into 2 or 3 tiles wide, as it is the dwarves have to climb over each other in 1 tile corridors, making pathfinding harder (lowering your fps) and the dwarves move slower
I know, but it's mostly for aesthetic reasons. Dwarves aren't really supposed to go outside often.
I'm not really bothered with FPS, I simply keep DF running all the time.
I'm a patient man :-)
Also, I just finished my mist machine prototype:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-842-mistmachine

I'm going to use it in my aqua adventure park statue garden to make my dwarves happy.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Michilus_nimbus wrote:
Sleksa wrote:Michilus, change the entrance to your fortress (where you have 2 cage traps) into 2 or 3 tiles wide, as it is the dwarves have to climb over each other in 1 tile corridors, making pathfinding harder (lowering your fps) and the dwarves move slower
I know, but it's mostly for aesthetic reasons. Dwarves aren't really supposed to go outside often.
I'm not really bothered with FPS, I simply keep DF running all the time.
I'm a patient man :-)
Also, I just finished my mist machine prototype:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-842-mistmachine

I'm going to use it in my aqua adventure park statue garden to make my dwarves happy.
Interesting design. I think one of the greatest strong points of dwarf fortress is the freedom to create your own unique structures. Your not just limited to these pre determined buildings..
manored

Post by manored »

Ya... I heard some people try to make computers using the predictable behavior of certain animals :)
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

i screwd up :P :P

my mistake of water pressure + well + underground = disaster

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-843-waterpresuremistake

this video uploader is excelent
manored

Post by manored »

I tould ya to stick to the wine :)

I suppose everbody does a flood-your-fortress mistake at some point...
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I did it back in 2D DF. But back then all you had to do was fuck up a flood gate location and infinite water was produced.
Michilus_nimbus

Ouch! Next time, put a pressure plate on the bottom of your well reservoir, and make it close the floodgate when you reach 7/7.

Also, I made a disturbing discovery. Every creature, dwarf or otherwise, is completely covered in mud, vomit and blood. Some are even covered in ichor, whatever that may be.
I think I'm going to install some showers.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Ichor is generic for "gore" in DF.
manored

Post by manored »

You mean ever creature in your fortress? Sounds... strange.
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Dwarven computing is all theoretical business and is like hilariously analog. Like its just awesome.
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

my next fortress will be based around this "castle of a fortress" but smaller and better working. the balista's arrow doesnt go through the fortification because it needs to be right up next to it.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-824-ballistainaction

just another question how do you get the high resolution or more view of the land on the screen?
manored

Post by manored »

You need one of the newer versions, you cant increase in the older ones. Good thing you are just starting a new fortress cause old saves might not work in new versions :)

Thats one big castle...
pharoph

Post by pharoph »

are you going to tell me how? T_T
the pesky unicorns are disrupting my dwarfves. hunt machanic hunt!
a f**k. my machanic died. so much for that. time to choose another location...
Michilus_nimbus

I don't remember the precise procedure to enlarge the view port, but you have to change data/init/init.txt.
Quoting from my init file:

Code: Select all

This is the dimensions in tiles of the display grid.  Minimum x is 80.  Minimum y is 25.  Maximums are 200.  Make sure the window size or full screen resolution matches the grid/tile size if you don't want the display to be squashed or stretched.  The default windowed font has tiles that are 8x12 pixels, for instance, so for a 80x25 grid, you use a 640x300 window, and for a 125x50 grid, you'd use a 1000x600 window. 

[GRID:128:64]

This is the size and font for windowed mode.  Changing to 800x600 and the 800x600 font might make you happier.

[WINDOWEDX:1024]
[WINDOWEDY:768]
[FONT:curses_640x300.bmp]
Bartosh

Post by Bartosh »

Had a Bad-ass hero in adventure mode, was legendary axe and armor user. i was killing cyclopes like nothing. but I made the mistake of walking to close to a rive. Carp jumped out pulled me into the water where him and about 4 others riped me apart.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Wait a minute... they added the ability to increase the viewport!!!1 ZOMG!... my poor baby will miss her daddy
manored

Post by manored »

Better make sure she doesnt thinks like a dwarf first, babie dwarf can have some quite suicidic thoughts then loney :)

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”